DarthJak
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 4:35:41 AM
Groups: Member

OMG! drop it already
joelker41
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 5:59:46 AM

Mickey wrote:
@Tim, I did apologize in an email and you know what I received in return? Nothing. I told you this in an email. Also, I think it is BS that a person can not post their opinion because it might offend someone somewhere in the world. I posted my opinion that I feel alot of the DCI changes are discussed and decided at GenCon weekend. That's my opinion! I don't see how this should be taken as an insult to anyone. I also think it is BS that we should avoid offending certain people because of their positions within the community, but those same people can go around insulting anyone they want. If you wish to discuss this with me then do it privately. I emailed you more than once to discuss my side of this and you said in each reply you were too busy with school. You obviously are not too busy to keep bringing it up in the forums.

Dude, seriously, defending yourself isn't necessary or relevant right now, topic is closed and you keep bringing it up.

What's done is done. You want to address it do it in PMs. Perpetuating a sore topic to solely benefit you when no one is throwing the blame on you is unnecessary.
juice man
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 6:41:27 AM

juice man wrote:
Courtesy - Polite acts or remarks.
Polite - Having good manners.
Has this flaming been going on since BlooMilk started? Or is it that I have just been reading more posts?
Shinja has built a wonderful playground for us to play in. Let's show him, and others some respect. Remember, THIS IS JUST A GAME. People we are playing with tiny dolls.
You disagree with a post and think the poster is a moron? Fine. Take a few deep breaths and politley (see above) respond. The poster still can't see your astounding logic and clarity of thought? Move on. Please remember the other doll playing members on this site and use courtesy (see above).
Well, that's my rant.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:53:09 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

kenred2 wrote:
ChuckaFett wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Well I feel since this thread mainly started over my incident that began with one of my posts I think it is only right for me to give an apology to the community. I didn't realize my original post would be taken as an insult, but apparently it did. I wasn't able to be back online for a day so by the time I had it was already a problem. Where I really feel at fault is continuing to post in a thread that got out of control over letting my anger get away from me. I can't take that back and can only say I'm sorry for letting it happen. I also apologize to the moderators for putting them through hell and to Aaron for dragging his site into it. I think the Bloomilk community is alot of fun and I hope I'm still welcomed here. If not I will understand.

The thread you started was one of many over the summer and into fall that were falling into incivility around here, I believe beginning with the GOWK controversy. I don't believe your original post was intended as an insult, but it was obviously taken that way, because of many underlying reasons that honestly go back a few years.

A lot of people, I believe especially the leaders in our community and those that have an elevated status for whatever reason, could stand to be a lot more civil. You can disagree with someone without attacking, baiting, talking down to or denigrating another person by your tone. Tone goes along way, and there are quite a few long time posters that could use some work in that area. It's a two way street as well, realize that people generally say what they mean in their posts, try not to read to much into what they're saying. Rather than getting jacked up and arguing, ask them to clarify what their saying rather than assuming they are slighting you. Anyway, that's my little rant.

I for one accept your apology, although I don't think it was needed, I do understand your thoughts on the subject and appreciate what you're saying. You, and everyone else who loves SWM are always welcome here.

Chuckafett, have you not spoken or talked to Dean about that incident? He's the one that was upset of being taken out of context of how he criticized Deans reputation as a DCI Content Manager, taking into the assumption of treating new DCI rule(s) to be done at Gencon is entirely false, and putting SWMgamers into the context thus hurting Dean as a reputable member of this site. If that thread went on as it did, people who are important to the game will be chased out. Because of that incident, I wouldn't be surprised if Dean isn't ever coming back to this site for our latest DCI update, etc. Chuckafett, as a moderator I am looking both sides into the argument (and I put a lot of time pming and talking to these people myself) and to help resolve issues around our members and around Bloomilk community, but during that time Dean's argument stands out on how much the public perceived him to be, and it's upsetting to see how many of the members chased out one of the most valuable member in our group, even though he sacrificed his time for the fairness of competitive play and for the benefit of keeping SWM game going and alive.

I know that apology is at least intended for Dean, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's ever coming back from that incident, including many others

Ken,
I didn't feel the need to talk with Dean about this incident. He may be upset, but it was his perception of what Mickey posted that was wrong, and then it escalated from there. I don't think very many people, other than those that seem to always find something critical of them or others in a lot of posts, took what Mickey wrote as defaming Dean. He asked a lot of questions based on his perception of how things work and was berated for it.

It could have been handled a lot differently, probably by both sides. But I agree with Mickey in that it seems ridiculous that members of this community have to continually walk on eggshells around others because of their position in the community. I've been around long enough to have seen this more than once and in other forums this community frequents (and I find it interesting that these issues seem to continually involve a lot of the same people).

Yes, Dean does a lot for the community and takes a lot of abuse, and I would agree with Joel that it seems to have increased in the last year. I would assume that to be based on his job in the community. He'll never make everyone happy, and I'm certain he realizes this, and I'm sure he does what he thinks is best for the game, but people are going to disagree with him. And that's OK. It's fairly obvious that we have some very opinionated people around here, and it seems that they are not afraid to express those opinions. I'm certain that Dean realizes this as well and I would hope he takes that into consideration when responding to posts. He's an intelligent man, and I would hope he understands that not everyone is out to slight him (although I realize there are a few), they sometimes truly just don't understand.

The point of my post above, and the entirety of this thread started by Juice Man, was that everyone should be a little more courteous around here. That includes the people who have been elevated to leadership positions in the community. In my opinion the best way to start is for the (mature!) adults around here to stop reading negative connotations into other peoples posts. In all the conversations I've been involved with on these forums and others this practice of assuming what someone is saying has never led to a good outcome. To reiterate what I said above, a simple post or PM asking if you're understanding them correctly takes just as long and just as much effort to type as an insult does.

And although I am sad to see Dean go, I'd be just as sad to see Mickey go. Each member, and their opinion, are just as valuable.

Loda
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:09:22 PM

ChuckaFett wrote:

Each member, and their opinion, are just as valuable.

Well written and completely correct.
saeseetiin
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:27:44 PM

Loda wrote:
ChuckaFett wrote:

Never goes down that way though
Loda
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:04:30 AM

saeseetiin wrote:
Loda wrote:
ChuckaFett wrote:

Never goes down that way though

Right on that one.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:22:05 AM

Mickey wrote:
@Tim, I did apologize in an email and you know what I received in return? Nothing. I told you this in an email. Also, I think it is BS that a person can not post their opinion because it might offend someone somewhere in the world. I posted my opinion that I feel alot of the DCI changes are discussed and decided at GenCon weekend. That's my opinion! I don't see how this should be taken as an insult to anyone. I also think it is BS that we should avoid offending certain people because of their positions within the community, but those same people can go around insulting anyone they want. If you wish to discuss this with me then do it privately. I emailed you more than once to discuss my side of this and you said in each reply you were too busy with school. You obviously are not too busy to keep bringing it up in the forums.

The problem is not in expressing the opinion itself. It's how you hold on to that opinion. the thought that "alot of the DCI changes are discussed and decided at GenCon" (emphasis added by me), is ludicrous, and it didn't matter if it's an opinion or not, it was out right not true. And when Dean or others tried to explain that it was untrue, you (and others) weren't willing to listen.

THAT is what gets people upset and offended. When you take a personal opinion, and assume it is truth, even when the actual parties involved are telling you otherwise.

90% of the proposed changes for the January DCI update were discussed AT LENGTH BEFORE GenCon. Heck, the slow play issues have been discussed for a couple years now. The map issue was something that Dean was already WELL aware of before the DCI change in June, but he's said multiple times that he was afraid of the backlash if he recommended to ban GOWK and several of the newer maps all at the same time. He chose to let the community find out for itself how bad some of those new maps were.

To tie back into courtesy, we all have to be willing to lay aside our opinions and TRUST people when they tell us what really goes on.

It's simply a matter of people wanting to feel like their opinions are important, and wanting to be right. If we stop worrying about who is right, and just concern ourselves with what is right for the game, then everything will work out a lot better.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:26:52 AM

Mickey wrote:
@Tim, I did apologize in an email and you know what I received in return? Nothing. I told you this in an email.
What email did you send this to. Dean said he has no knowledge of such a thing ever occurring. Perhaps it didn't get to Dean properly (bad email, etc).

LoboStele wrote:
The problem is not in expressing the opinion itself. It's how you hold on to that opinion. the thought that "alot of the DCI changes are discussed and decided at GenCon" (emphasis added by me), is ludicrous, and it didn't matter if it's an opinion or not, it was out right not true. And when Dean or others tried to explain that it was untrue, you (and others) weren't willing to listen.

THAT is what gets people upset and offended. When you take a personal opinion, and assume it is truth, even when the actual parties involved are telling you otherwise.

Exactly. This has nothing to do with your right to an opinion. Several of you are under the impression that it's not offensive to infer with your "opinion" that Dean has not done his job properly. I'm sorry, that is ludicrous. And when presented with the facts, what did you do Mickey? Did you change your mind? Nope, you went right on posting that your opinion is valid regardless of the truth of the matter. Sounds a lot like another bloomilk poster. I'm sorry to compare you Mickey to him, and by no means am I really doing so, other than this one issue.

In short, there is no reason for this to continue. The truth is, Dean talks to a great deal of players, both Gencon and otherwise. Anyone making a claim about his work as taking too much from Gencon players is flat out wrong. It isn't an opinion at this point that has any merit. Where's your proof? Where's the evidence? No, instead you don't understand or like one or more of the rules and so you think its ok to go off on whatever wild claim you decide to make about it. It doesn't matter to me if Chuckafett or you thinks your comments were offensive or not. Or if you intended them to be or not.

What matters is, that inferring that someone has not done their job, when that person is an unpaid volunteer who has spent countless hours doing it, talking to anyone and everyone from all of the country, is insulting. How would you like it if I went around telling everyone that you Mickey weren't doing your job? Well, that's my opinion. I don't know what you do for a living, nor do I have any information whatsoever, but according to the logic posted by you, Chuck and Mandalore, I have every right to post it. So here it is.

Guys, Mickey doesn't do his job and should be fired. That's my opinion....

I respect all of you, despite my harsh criticism of your "opinion". What I wish is that instead of posting angry rants about the rule changes, you simply would have contacted Dean to discuss it. It's pretty asinine for anyone of you to argue that your post was being respectful of Dean and his job. But it gets even more ridiculous when you continue to hold onto said "opinion" when all the facts tell everyone who can read otherwise. If you want to talk about courtesy, it starts right there.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:51:56 AM

and yet here we are again, expressing our opinions.
is this going to be a "whos opinion is more valid" thread?
seriously, this is weak.
and as i said yesterday in the closed thread that a MOD made, i will not use the names of other members in any discussion that does not involve them.
Bill, i expect that same *COURTESY*
Mickeys post was picked apart, and it wast even a "call out" as most have claim to be.
In your post you just put up, you "inferred" to me as a referance, and then dropped my name. that is not *COURTEOUS* to do things like that.
your post is not like mickeys at all, and you are still going on about this is redundant. its over.
I am so done with fighting with you and the rest of your crew. in the beginning, it angered me on how you treated others, but now, it just dissapoints me. no matter what, you will never see eye to eye with anyone who disagrees with you, no matter how minor or major the subject.
to me, its picking to pick.
to make a valid point, you have to it on equal footing with everyone else.
you cannot think that you can pull out all of the stops, get under peoples skin intentionally, to get a rise out of them, and think that people are going to be quiet about it.
Mickey owes no one an apology. NO ONE!
and if someone thinks that they deserve an apology, humble yourself, and realize that if someone wants to give you one, they would.
requesting apologies is "asinine", and lacks humility.
and please, dont do the comparison thing anymore with members, its unbecoming and quite childish, after all, arent we talking about *COURTESY* here?
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:52:53 AM

So Dean is the engine driving SWM DCI? ThumbsUp Must be an ungodly amount of effort.Scared
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:04:21 AM

Quite simply, Mando, put me on ignore.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:05:42 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Quite simply, Mando, put me on ignore.

then, if you will be so "COURTEOUS* with me, i will be so *COURTEOUS* with you.
Partof1
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:12:13 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
I am so done with fighting with you and the rest of your crew. in the beginning, it angered me on how you treated others, but now, it just dissapoints me. no matter what, you will never see eye to eye with anyone who disagrees with you, no matter how minor or major the subject.
to me, its picking to pick.
to make a valid point, you have to it on equal footing with everyone else.
you cannot think that you can pull out all of the stops, get under peoples skin intentionally, to get a rise out of them, and think that people are going to be quiet about it.Mickey owes no one an apology. NO ONE!
and if someone thinks that they deserve an apology, humble yourself, and realize that if someone wants to give you one, they would.
requesting apologies is "asinine", and lacks humility.
and please, dont do the comparison thing anymore with members, its unbecoming and quite childish, after all, arent we talking about *COURTESY* here?

So stop fighting, and rather, listen.

Defending themselves should not get a rise out of anyone.

Requesting an apology is not arrogant, it is requesting that mistakes are noted, and made up for.

billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:14:45 AM

juice man wrote:
So Dean is the engine driving SWM DCI? ThumbsUp Must be an ungodly amount of effort.Scared

Not only that, without him, the last rules update would have likely been done in 2007. Nickname probably could have done an adequate job in writing the rules, but I doubt his schedule would have allowed him the opportunity to talk to as many people as Dean has been able to. Further, there isn't anyone in the community with as much skill and experience in judging and TOing events as Dean, so who better to be in charge of it. Quite frankly, we are extremely lucky to have such quality volunteers as Dean, Jason Tanner (Nickname), and Jim Fraiser (Organized Play) working for our game. Without them, the game would have likely folded a year ago, and we certainly would not have the quality events, prizes and rules updates we need to keep the game as fair as possible.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:55:50 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
@Tim, I did apologize in an email and you know what I received in return? Nothing. I told you this in an email.
What email did you send this to. Dean said he has no knowledge of such a thing ever occurring. Perhaps it didn't get to Dean properly (bad email, etc).

LoboStele wrote:

Exactly. This has nothing to do with your right to an opinion. Several of you are under the impression that it's not offensive to infer with your "opinion" that Dean has not done his job properly. I'm sorry, that is ludicrous. And when presented with the facts, what did you do Mickey? Did you change your mind? Nope, you went right on posting that your opinion is valid regardless of the truth of the matter. Sounds a lot like another bloomilk poster. I'm sorry to compare you Mickey to him, and by no means am I really doing so, other than this one issue.

In short, there is no reason for this to continue. The truth is, Dean talks to a great deal of players, both Gencon and otherwise. Anyone making a claim about his work as taking too much from Gencon players is flat out wrong. It isn't an opinion at this point that has any merit. Where's your proof? Where's the evidence? No, instead you don't understand or like one or more of the rules and so you think its ok to go off on whatever wild claim you decide to make about it. It doesn't matter to me if Chuckafett or you thinks your comments were offensive or not. Or if you intended them to be or not.

What matters is, that inferring that someone has not done their job, when that person is an unpaid volunteer who has spent countless hours doing it, talking to anyone and everyone from all of the country, is insulting. How would you like it if I went around telling everyone that you Mickey weren't doing your job? Well, that's my opinion. I don't know what you do for a living, nor do I have any information whatsoever, but according to the logic posted by you, Chuck and Mandalore, I have every right to post it. So here it is.

Guys, Mickey doesn't do his job and should be fired. That's my opinion....

I respect all of you, despite my harsh criticism of your "opinion". What I wish is that instead of posting angry rants about the rule changes, you simply would have contacted Dean to discuss it. It's pretty asinine for anyone of you to argue that your post was being respectful of Dean and his job. But it gets even more ridiculous when you continue to hold onto said "opinion" when all the facts tell everyone who can read otherwise. If you want to talk about courtesy, it starts right there.

I still don't see where Mickey's original post was offensive at all. No where in that post did he say, or even infer, that Dean wasn't doing his job. I've read it over again a few times today and I just don't see the problem with his questioning of how things work. The problem began when you and Dean read something horrible in to what he said and berated him for it. He simply didn't know how things work and asked a few questions. After reading the thread over again, his questions where never answered. So how is he supposed to change his perception of how things work when he's not told, politely? Quite frankly Bill, the facts where not there for everyone to read (unless you deleted them with the rest of your posts, but I don't recall.)
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:14:00 AM

well since you are throwing my name around here let me clear something up.

Mickeys original post about the how the floor rules were done was in a seperate thread.

Mickey made an assumption in the post (I can only guess) that I only talk to a few Gencon players about the floor rules.

IT WAS DIRECTED AT ME AND IT WAS SOMEWHAT INSULTING BECAUSE IT QUESTIONED MY CHARACTER. It assumed that I dont listen to the other 6000 dci players in any way shape or form when writing the floor rules.

Since I am the person that does the floor rules I am the only one that can take offense.

So I doubt anyone else would be bothered by it.

I have talked with a member of Mickey's playgroup. I know now where he got his misinformation.

It seems that lately that if one person says something like on these boards that after a while it is assumed to be true. Take for instance MDB accusing Bill and I of rating his squads a one. He still believes we did. So since he is allowed to continue accusing us it is followed up by several pm's by Sassaeetiin accusing both of us of the same thing.

Truth at some point quit mattering. Accusations seem to be more important than the actual truth.

You want to talk about courtesy then why not treat people like you would in real life.

1. If Mickey wants to speak with me about how DCI is done ask first. Dont assume anything.

2. If you believe I have been rating your squads a one ask a mod to quietly ask me for my password and not tell me what is going on. Have him log in to my account and find out the truth.

But it seems ( I am not referring to Mickey here either) some folks would rather sling accusations, misquote people and out right lie about them or threaten them. Truth is not important.

I think when truth becomes important again so will courtesy.

I was threatened by MDB (sadly it was not the first time he threatened another community member)

In turn I called him and then offered to help him with his venue. I offered him to go on gamers while he was suspended. I thought that was the end of the story and it was positive.

No it wasn't it was followed up by being accused of rating MDB's squad a one. Then told that he knew I did not do it he said I needed to pay for being Bill's friend.

So really courtesy would be nice but while were at it why not go for truth too.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:21:46 AM

Why do people take this game waaaay to seriously???!?!??!?!
Really just chill, take a deep breath and calm down. Just like Juiceman said, its just a game. Has nothing really to do with life at all. I'm getting tired of the "he rated my squad a 1!" or "I dont like your opinion, so im gonna pout about it!" really just chill.
If you dont like the way people are acting just ask them nicely to stop and if they countinue to be jerks then just drop it. Is this really worth wasting your time(That should be spent with family and relatives because its Christmas time!!! woot)
Is it?
It really is sad at what this site has come to Sad BlooMilk
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:36:32 AM

Uggie Demo wrote:
Why do people take this game waaaay to seriously???!?!??!?!
Really just chill, take a deep breath and calm down. Just like Juiceman said, its just a game. Has nothing really to do with life at all. I'm getting tired of the "he rated my squad a 1!" or "I dont like your opinion, so im gonna pout about it!" really just chill.
If you dont like the way people are acting just ask them nicely to stop and if they countinue to be jerks then just drop it. Is this really worth wasting your time(That should be spent with family and relatives because its Christmas time!!! woot)
Is it?
It really is sad at what this site has come to Sad BlooMilk

First @Chuck, what Dean said is what happened. The thread I presume you are reading was not the original post being referenced. I would have assumed you had already read the actual one, but this is bloomilk after all, and that type of expectation is rather heresy around here I suppose.

And as you said, I did delete many of my posts in that thread. I also explained it to Mickey in PM, and Dean spent an hour on the phone with the other member of Mickey's store who gave him the idea to suggest such. It's pretty much a dead issue at this point, but I thought it quite interesting that you and he felt the need to bring it up again, and to further defend his right to do what he did without apology.

As to Uggie's point, please, relax. The reminder of a proper perspective is not needed. Many of us are perfectly fine in understanding where SWMs stands in level of importance. What I want to know, is where you get off telling anyone that they are "pouting" about anything. I am going to do what you suggested. I am asking you nicely not to post that kind of stuff anymore. You need to chill, not me.

This was never about not liking someone's opinion. This is about what is true, and what is not.

As to the idea that the person being attacked should just "drop it", well I will respectfully disagree with you here. I am not the cause of turning this place into a nightmare. Just dropping it doesn't work. I did so a month ago, and what did I get for my time? Harassment from multiple members of this site through PMs, on Gamers and so on. I left if alone, and the trolls used that opening to try to get me in other ways. So no, I am not going to do that further.

If you want the problems on this site to stop, then complain to the mods. I imagine you can figure out what the problems are related to. Don't tell the people who are being harassed, insulted, lies being told about that they simply need to "drop it". The mods have a choice on their hands, and they have so far chosen poorly. Deal with them.

Or do you prefer to tell victims of crime that they simply need to "drop it" as well? Its the same thing here. This site as it currently functions has become a very negative part of the SWMs community. And as someone who has spent a lot of time building that up, I am not going to let that go lightly. Please take that into consideration. We tried just ignoring it, and it got worse. So do you really want us to do that again? We aren't the problem around here.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:36:37 AM

dnemiller wrote:

Mickeys original post about the how the floor rules were done was in a seperate thread.

Mickey made an assumption in the post (I can only guess) that I only talk to a few Gencon players about the floor rules.

Dean,
Thanks for posting.
The post in the separate thread is the one I'm referring to. Just reread it again, and there was nothing in that post that inferred you only talked to Gencon players about the floor rules. His only reference to Gencon was a suggestion about making changes in which maps we're able to play in DCI apply to Gencon only.

In fact what he asked is the same question I posed later in the thread that only received a quick reply from Sithborg. That question is basically how do rule changes come into being? I'm thoroughly confused on how it works, and I think I pay attention pretty good Blushing. I was under the impression, as I believe Mickey was from his original post in the other thread, that you were the head of the rules advisory committee made up of volunteers that formed this summer on the WOTC forums? Is that still how it works, or did the RAC not work out so well? I found an old link to the RAC website, and it didn't look like it was used much. If, or really if that's not the case, how does one go about suggesting a rule change other than just PM'ing you or a member of the RAC? Is there an "official" request form or something BigGrin, or do the suggestions come about more from the conversations you and others have on the forums, in person, or stuff you just read over in the rules forums? Anyway, this is way off topic, if you want to answer in another thread that would be great, if not I understand. Thanks.

Sorry for derailing your thread Juice Man! At least it won't get moved, cause this is the off topic forum!