RegisterDonateLogin

Bloominous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CoC Violations and Punishments - suggestions Options
Ruhk
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:28:39 AM
Groups: Member

I like how overnight the CoC got a little more defined as to what would be unacceptable behaviour. Thank you for that. However I feel like there some additional elements that need to be addressed, or rather that need to be clarified for the community.

You've listed pretty clearly what the unacceptable behaviours are. But the appropriate punishments are somewhat vague, and could lead to potential discriminatory actions by the Mods.

I suggests a 3-strike punishment system;

1. PM-ed warning
2. 24 or 48 hour suspension
3. Permanent Ban or Deletion of Account

of course the situation would have to warrant all 3 actions, and have all three happening in a short time period (say under 2 weeks or a month). I could see every couple of weeks, having a bad day and letting it out at some poor sap on the boards.

Also an issue that might need to be addressed in terms of the CoC would be duplicate Accounts.

While in general, nothing is wrong with having an additional account, if you're using it to get around a suspension or a ban, then that account should be subject the same punishment. This determination would be up the Mod's discretion.

That's all right now. Hopefully everyone can agree that having further guidelines in place will help to avoid potential abuses.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:36:46 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It is a fairly solid system. Though I am a big personal fan of the "time-out" system, suspending a user fo a little bit to cool off in the case of heated arguements that go over board.
Ruhk
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:40:01 AM

actually any system would work, provided the Mods can all agree to its implementation and that the consequences are publicly viewable.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:42:44 AM

and provided they can get control of any mods acting out of order :) But otherwise, anything would be helpful.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:11:45 AM

Sithborg wrote:
It is a fairly solid system. Though I am a big personal fan of the "time-out" system, suspending a user fo a little bit to cool off in the case of heated arguements that go over board.

yea SB?
does this go for every member? or just the ones no one likes?
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:15:14 AM

I assure you, a good 75% of the people in the one locked thread would've gotten a time out, imo. And really, I was only half joking about taking the forums down. And trust me, you were about even with a few others of posts I have removed/edited in the past week.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:29:28 AM

i can count 4 of my posts being removed, aside from entite threads being taken down.
half? no sir.
about a good third compared to others.
jedispyder
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:32:43 AM

billiv15 wrote:
and provided they can get control of any "rogue" mods acting out of order in favor of special friends :) But otherwise, anything would be helpful.

I have to agree, mods who favor certain people because they're friends is not very good for any site. Makes no one trust that mod because of it...
defender390
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:38:00 AM

I would suggest this for punishments:

1. 48 hour ban to cool off
2. 1 week ban if there is another offense within 48 hours of returning
3. 1 month ban if there is another offense within a week of returning
4. Deletion if there is another offense within a month of returning
joelker41
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:44:04 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

yea SB?
does this go for every member? or just the ones no one likes?

Seriously you request to be left alone and then you post this kind of stuff? Do you have multiple personalitites that you have to stir the pot in threads that don't concern you then say you want to be left alone in ones you are losing arguments in?

Mod Edit
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:23:52 PM

Mod consistency and a united front is the key to a lot of it. You don't have to explain everything to everyone, but it is a good practice to be very forthright when you act as much as possible. For example, when you delete a post, thread, etc, pming the person involved is a big help. I know you are doing this.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:27:21 PM

Here is what I suggest:
1. PM warning
2. After the second offense banned for a week
3. An offense after the "time out" the accout and any other on the same computer deleted(even if they make more)
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:39:49 PM

Let's keep the direct attacks out of the thread, please.

I'm not about to get upset over some questioning mod actions I have done. I'm not here to be popular.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:38:05 PM

My suggestions.

1st-
PM warning (if it involves 2 or more members, PM warning to them as well.)
Warnings should be publicly Posted by the Mod who issued PM warnings, to show every member that these people have been warned for their Transgressions with the CoC.
this proves to be a useful tool for the Mods, because then you have members PMing Mods if members are being unruly.)
The public warning can be a sticky in the off topic section (being this is where the most recent fur flying is taking place.)
naming each member, and why they have been warned.
Kinda like the BTL/GTL, but used for warnings. a simple and fair enough system.
2nd-
After the PM warning, and you are still difficult (I.E, Baiting, attacking, ACCUSING and or Slandering another member, even when he is not there to defend themselves, etc.)
Suspend them for a week.
That also can be posted on the warnings wall.
*Note, warning should last about 2 weeks. this gives enough time to clear the air, and start over.

3rd.
Full ban, especially if this member or members are still being difficult and will not stop attacking.

if this cant be easy enough, and fair enough, i dont know what is.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:49:14 PM

Thats how we will be doing it on our Website.
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:55:09 PM

having a 3 strike rule is nice but really it should be a guideline.

Comepare it to the penalty guidelines for DCI. They spell out everything so every DCI playing Star Wars player knows what the normal penalties are.

The reason they shouldbe guildelines though is rarely are things going to be nice and tidy when things have to be done.

Keep them as a guideline but make sure that there are coverall for exceptional situations. Or maybe something you just did not think of.

Take for instance someone posts pictures of dead children on your website. (sounds crazy I know but trust me things like this can happen)

Are you going to warn that user??

No because realistically what that user did could have severe effects on some of your members who have never seen something like that. It could have devestating effect.

So really keep the three as a guideline and make sure people know that something just way out line maybe dealt with at the discretion of the admins or mods of the site more severely.

Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:58:33 PM

dnemiller wrote:

Comepare it to the penalty guidelines for DCI. They spell out everything so every DCI playing Star Wars player knows what the normal penalties are.

The reason they shouldbe guildelines though is rarely are things going to be nice and tidy when things have to be done.

Keep them as a guideline but make sure that there are coverall for exceptional situations. Or maybe something you just did not think of.

I agree. Each situation is different.

The lynch mob method is not exactly smart. A degree of transparency is nice, but complete transparency will only lead to problems. There is a good reason there are private mod sections on forums.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:02:18 PM

dnemiller wrote:

agreed.
There should always be a certain set of guidelines to follow.
I.E.....*Pm to MOD* "hey So and So, this guy said that Dr, Evazen Sux!", now obviously you dont ban someone for this, but if an actual arguement ensues over it (which would be really hard to believe one would), and the warning NEED to come out during this "Spat" (im talking name talking and attackes, ablbeit it personal or baiting), then hand the warnings out like candy.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:05:16 PM

Sithborg wrote:

I agree. Each situation is different.

The lynch mob method is not exactly smart. A degree of transparency is nice, but complete transparency will only lead to problems. There is a good reason there are private mod sections on forums.[/quote]
Not a Lynch Mob effect, think of it more like " dont get involved in these fellas B.S, they can get you warned too."
its a warning to players as well.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:06:17 PM

that was weird, i dont know how i screwed that quote up...my bad.