Life is short. Yoda is shorter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Guide, one step at a time. Options
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:36:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

blackbeltzman wrote:
uhhh dos this work on macs?

Yes, the Vassal site lists OS X. You'll need Java runtime (true for any OS)
DarthTornac86
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 2:05:45 PM
Groups: Member

Ive tried downloading this 4 times now and something keeps messing up in the process. All of the directions i find are out of date or the files I find are all zipped and I cant unzip them. I guess im just not meant to play SWM online...
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 4:44:35 PM

DarthTornac86 wrote:
Ive tried downloading this 4 times now and something keeps messing up in the process. All of the directions i find are out of date or the files I find are all zipped and I cant unzip them. I guess im just not meant to play SWM online...

I already replied to your other post. You have not said what your operating sytem is, or whether the Vassal program is even installed correctly yet. You want Vassal 3.1.19 (latest) unless you are on Mac OS X 10.3 or earlier, in which case you need Vassal version 2.9.9 (according to the Vassal site)

Vassal installers are here: http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php (read page for relevant info, download the correct installer to your computer first, don't try to install from the web)

If you can launch Vassal successfully, then go get the SWMinis specific files:

You can download uncompressed versions of the SWMinis.vmod and Virtual Sets.mdx files here:

http://sdrv.ms/OrxRsX (click on the file names to download, one at a time)

Put the .vmod in the folder that Vassal is installed in. Then make a folder there named SWMinis_ext. Put the .mdx in that folder.

Launch Vassal, and if SWM Skirmish Game does not appear in the module library window, select Open Module from the file menu and find the SWMinis.vmod file. Open it.

That should work. If not, you need to give specific details about what is happening, otherwise it is almost impossible for anyone to help. BlooMilk
DarthTornac86
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 7:02:17 PM

Thanks for the assist swinefeld, Ive got it working now.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:48:30 AM

DarthTornac86 wrote:
Thanks for the assist swinefeld, Ive got it working now.

Smile cool, glad you sorted it out
den25
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 2:42:51 PM

Many thanks for your post Swinefeld that listed the link to the uncompressed files. I know it's been a while since you made it, but for those of us trying to get Vassal on a new PC it was a great deal of help!

Top notch!

BigGrin
punisher
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 9:20:13 PM

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting here after its been inactive a few months but where does one obtain the mdx files from the picture?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:36:39 AM

punisher wrote:
Hope I don't get in trouble for posting here after its been inactive a few months but where does one obtain the mdx files from the picture?

The guide posted here is outdated. You no longer need the extramaps(x).mdx files as they are incorporated into the main module.

You only need the 'virtual sets.mdx' which contains the v-set pieces. (assuming you want to use them)

The most up-to-date guide can be found at www.swmresources.com
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:35:46 PM

Hey there, can anyone help me to get the V-set expansion to work? I donwloaded it, and put it in a file as Swinfeld mentioned above, but they still won't seem to load. Downloaded all the rest tonight, and seems to work fine... Thanks!
Shockfett
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 6:04:59 AM

Window 7 64.

I downloaded

Vassal (main site)
Swmodule (swm resource.com)
Vset module (swm resource.com)

I followed the youtube step by step.

When I open the swmodule in vassal to install it. It gets stuck at 83%. tilling solid wall.gif. It will not go any further. When it hits 83% it acts as though it is installed and the menu comes up with new game load game options. But the install window remains in the top left corner at 83%. When I go to load a game many maps are there but I notice a lot of factions are not full loaded. Any ideas?

I have uninstalled several times. Even searching and deleting files. To the extent of re downloading all the files again after deleting all the files.
markedman247
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 6:13:12 AM

Shockfett wrote:
Window 7 64.

I downloaded

Vassal (main site)
Swmodule (swm resource.com)
Vset module (swm resource.com)

I followed the youtube step by step.

When I open the swmodule in vassal to install it. It gets stuck at 83%. tilling solid wall.gif. It will not go any further. When it hits 83% it acts as though it is installed and the menu comes up with new game load game options. But the install window remains in the top left corner at 83%. When I go to load a game many maps are there but I notice a lot of factions are not full loaded. Any ideas?

I have uninstalled several times. Even searching and deleting files. To the extent of re downloading all the files again after deleting all the files.

Having the same issue.
Shockfett
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 10:11:31 AM

That's weird you are having the same problem.

Does anyone know where the swmodule file goes after you install it? Or the name of the file? It seems that when I reinstall and erase everything. The module still pops up on fresh installs of vassal. When I load vassal up I still see the module in the list after uninstalling and deleting searched files. So it must be hidden some where I can't find.
Shockfett
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:40:56 PM

Is anyone running the current vassal 3.2.8 with the current swm module from swresources.com? I am wondering if the current version is not compatible?
harryg
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:43:21 PM

Running it, it works fine.
Shockfett
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:46:44 PM

Ok thank you.

I give up then! Just wont work for me no matter what I do.Angry Blink
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:49:46 PM

Downloaded the most recent module but not seeing newer pieces and only getting WOTC pieces.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:47:23 PM

markedman247 wrote:
Downloaded the most recent module but not seeing newer pieces and only getting WOTC pieces.

There is a separate extension that contains the v-set pieces. Did you download it?
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:50:58 PM

swinefeld wrote:
markedman247 wrote:

There is a separate extension that contains the v-set pieces. Did you download it?

Vset.mdx 74.47 kb?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:57:14 PM

Where is that?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:04:57 PM

Okay - found it. The latest files are all in Swinefeld's file-share under the Vassal folder.

Find the link to Swinefeld's file share here: http://www.bloomilk.com/Community

1. Install Vassal from the Vassal website.
2. Put the .vmod file (from Swinefeld's file share) in the Program Files>VASSAL folder.
3. Create a folder called SWMinis_ext under the VASSAL folder. So Program Files>VASSAL>SWMinis_ext
4. Put the .mdx file (from Swinefeld's file share) in SWMinis_ext
5. Run Vassal. Open module and choose the .vmod file
6. In Vassal, right-click on the module and add extension. Choose the .mdx file.

The files Swinefeld has are not compressed (.rar) files, but if in some future iteration you are downloading compressed files you will need to decompress them.