How wude!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

BlooMilk Booster League Feedback/Suggestions Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:40:38 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

greentime wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
After everyone chooses their starting boosters, the starting price could be the number of boosters chosen for that set, plus one (so that no booster costs zero). So if there were eight people and 16 total boosters selected, maybe the initial costs would be 1 for Rebel Storm (since no one selected it), and 10 for Dark Times (since a total of 9 Dark Times boosters were selected).

Every time a booster is purchased, the cost for that set goes up by one. Periodically (either every X days, after every X boosters are purchased, or based on some random criteria), all of the prices would fall by one at the same time. The price-drops would be to keep prices in the same neighborhood rather than constantly moving up.

Whatever set is most popular will be most expensive, while the less popular sets will become very cheap, allowing people to possibly buy multiple boosters from that set. For instance, in the above example you could buy 4 Rebel Storm boosters (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10) or you could buy one Dark Times booster.

That's really clever. I salute you! It is more work to keep track of, but if you only update the prices once per week, it should be OK.

Don't give me too much credit. It's based on the pricing used in a popular strategy boardgame: Power Grid.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid

Would need to work out exactly how to do the price movements, but the basic idea is pretty simple.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:21:45 AM

Question: How are you determining who plays who?
I've noticed that the players with the best records have not been playing each other. Instead, the best records are being pitted against the lesser records. Is there reasons for this?

Not pointing fingers or anything, but just asking and pointing out that this could be a problem with the system.
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:40:39 AM
Groups: Member

The entire schedule was generated with the parameters we wanted (play each division opponent twice, 4 inter-conference games, 4 intra-conference games, etc.) at the beginning of the season, much like a professional sports league would have.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:47:32 AM

Ahh...gotchya.
I thought that might be the deal. Thanks for enlightening me. BlooMilk
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:50:39 AM

Can we get a list of emails for each of the players in case BMs keep failing us? It would make it much easier to get ahold of someone when this happens.
Sashlon
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:22:51 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
Can we get a list of emails for each of the players in case BMs keep failing us? It would make it much easier to get ahold of someone when this happens.

I think that's an excellent ideaBlooMilk
TheStarkiller
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 1:20:19 AM

It seems that a few players are getting a bit less structured about making sure they are here for games (not my current opponent, just an observation) because a few players are keeping others from being able to play their games by missing multiple weeks in a row. I was just thinking that you might want to implement a penalty for missing multiple games in a row.

If we don't then it could take until August before we actually get to the finals, and by that time, there might be even less excitement about finishing.

We spent two weeks doing make-up, and I know that I got out of the habit of making sure that my opponent was on the ball, checking Bloo-milk on a regular basis, and wanting to finish this Booster League as quickly as humanly possible.

Now, I am going to offer a few suggestions. Please, don't take it personally because this is not about 1 person, and this is not about something anyone or everyone is doing wrong. This is about something that needs to be fixed to move the Booster League forward.

1. If you miss the cut-off of the time that you had to play by (Tuesday) each person gets a Win/Loss - .5/.5 Each person receives a winning booster. [simplest measure, no makeup]

OR

2. If a player has missed X games in the past X weeks, it can be assumed that something happened which doesn't allow for them to play anymore.
They get removed from the roster.
Their opponents all receive wins for games not played.
(this would require everyone to play their current matches with less boosters depending on what X is) [more complicated, make-up possible]

OR

3. (I don't know how the standings currently work right now, but) If you miss the cut-off of the time that you had to play by, each person gets a loss. IMPORTANT: the final standings would only be based on WINS, not how many WINS/LOSSES. [Unfortunately, this awards the player with a losing booster (better) for not playing a game]

Number 1 is my personal preference, but I think something has to be done before everyone starts losing interest.
curler88j
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 2:38:55 AM

IMO all that is needed is those unable to play for several weeks need to drop, and someone who can play replace them.
empirejeff
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 3:37:45 AM

I do not like any of those options.

You do not change the rules 3/4 of the way in.

If the person plans on not playing any more, they should let us know. On the other hand they may come back and play their games.

If anything should be done, then allow for some one to fill in if the game must be played. Now I do not know how the two sides would come to an aggrement on this on unless the one person did not have a choice or they came to an agrement.

That or just flip a coin.ThumbsUp ThumpUp Woot
Ukezwoll
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 6:12:19 AM

TheStarkiller wrote:

1. If you miss the cut-off of the time that you had to play by (Tuesday) each person gets a Win/Loss - .5/.5 Each person receives a winning booster. [simplest measure, no makeup]

If the responsibility for not making the cut-off rest with both players then I agree both players should be awarded a weak booster. In terms of the score for such a game I'd be fine with .5/.5 or 0/0.

Another rule I think could be useful would be to award players who make it to the play off boosters, based on how well they do before the play off. For example, a player with at least 12 wins could be awarded 3 good boosters, a player with at least 10 wins could be awarded 2 good boosters and a player with at least 8 wins could be awarded 1 good booster. This might help ensure players are motivated to do their best when they might else feel they would be better served by a loss, to help them with good figures for the play off.

The problem with players not attempting to win some games would be that their opponents would get a cheap win and an advantage against their competitors for the play off, an advantage some might consider unfair.

Whether changes like those above could and should be instituted mid-season might of course be debatable.

empirejeff
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:06:09 AM

Ukezwoll wrote:
TheStarkiller wrote:

If the responsibility for not making the cut-off rest with both players then I agree both players should be awarded a weak booster. In terms of the score for such a game I'd be fine with .5/.5 or 0/0.

Another rule I think could be useful would be to award players who make it to the play off boosters, based on how well they do before the play off. For example, a player with at least 12 wins could be awarded 3 good boosters, a player with at least 10 wins could be awarded 2 good boosters and a player with at least 8 wins could be awarded 1 good booster. This might help ensure players are motivated to do their best when they might else feel they would be better served by a loss, to help them with good figures for the play off.

The problem with players not attempting to win some games would be that their opponents would get a cheap win and an advantage against their competitors for the play off, an advantage some might consider unfair.

Whether changes like those above could and should be instituted mid-season might of course be debatable.

I 100% dissagree with this.ThumbDown
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 11:01:39 AM

I'd say if a player is unable to play during a week, they should publicly state so, then a substitute should be assigned for them.

If a player makes no attempt to even communicate with their opponent for a given week, they should be given a loss and a winner's booster. It's really aggravating when you send out a BM, and 5 days later, they haven't even read it.
TheStarkiller
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 1:14:35 PM

Since we are a week behind week 9, and it doesn't look like we will be getting any quicker for the remainder of the series, we might want to implement one of those league quickening rules that I mentioned above.

Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:09:59 AM

I realize that running this League by myself has been to the detriment of everyone else's experience, and for that, I apologize. I originally had Darth Percocet helping me out through everything, but through no fault of his own, he's no longer around as much as he used to be. I'm trying to get the rest of this League finished without a hitch, and I humbly apologize for being a horrible GM for the last few weeks.
TheStarkiller
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:23:36 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
I realize that running this League by myself has been to the detriment of everyone else's experience, and for that, I apologize. I originally had Darth Percocet helping me out through everything, but through no fault of his own, he's no longer around as much as he used to be. I'm trying to get the rest of this League finished without a hitch, and I humbly apologize for being a horrible GM for the last few weeks.

By no means is anyone blaming you, and we appreciate that you did this at all (I know I do)ThumpUp. I just think that if we don't continue on with the weekly games, the league will fall by the wayside, and I don't want to see that happen.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:46:52 AM

TheStarkiller wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

By no means is anyone blaming you, and we appreciate that you did this at all (I know I do)ThumpUp. I just think that if we don't continue on with the weekly games, the league will fall by the wayside, and I don't want to see that happen.

Agreed i want to see this thing all the way through, if you need some help running it we will gladly help you. I dont want the wheels to fall off this thing when we are so close to being done with the season.
Wysten
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:26:33 AM

Nah, nah, as said, it takes guts for a new player to come on and help run a kickarse league. I for one have enjoyed it though and though.

Just whenever the new round starts, I'll be ready for it. Just give me a BM with the times and I'll try to get on. ^^

As a general note, players that make no attempt to get into contact, by the communication thread or otherwise, should be given a auto loss and a winners pack for the sake of fluidity. Every member in this booster league should have one eye on this thread anyways.
Demosthenes
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:32:14 AM

I agree with the no communication thing. I don't want to deal with make-up games anymore, it makes my head hurt, lol.
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:36:39 PM

OK im going to be very straight about this. Its been 2 weeks now and i have sent at least 3 PMs to you Demos about getting my boosters and matchups ready, i have received 0 replys to any of them. Im really tired of waiting for your responce, im going to wait until tuesday (when the league games for the new week would normally start) if i have heard nothing about this league continuing, I will have to quit and move on to something else. I have my week still sheduled to play these games and quite frankly there are other things i can be doing with that time.

Dont get me wrong i do not want to quit, but i see 0 effort on your part (aside from posting the remaining shedule mind you) on getting these games in and done. Again i will say that if you need some help on continueing the league and want someone to help you I or just about anyone else would prob be glad to help since DP stoped helping to form his own league or whatever.

It has been 2 weeks now with 0 reply and 0 games being played the league will die out if we dont get it done this week.

David.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:18:02 PM

I have to agree as well. The league needs a push if it is to finish up.

I'm sick of waiting for an opponent who takes 6-7 days to respond to a BM.