RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Seriously? That's what you're playing? Seriously? Options
Lobotnik
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 2:05:51 AM
Groups: Member

Ukezwoll is very wise. It is up to each individual how they play. If you care about level of competitiveness (I think I spellt it right:)) then just ask beforehand. I have seen it done many times, and even when it is competitive I find that some players are even willing to replay a move if you forget something. It's just a game so it's ok to be forgiving.

Just ask beforehand and whatever you play, make sure you do enjoy it, whether it be ridiculously competitive or ridiculously ridiculous!

May the force be with you all:)

Also, go easy on me on Vassal, I'm still learning!
empirejeff
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:31:02 AM

Weeks wrote:
I agree with Boris on this. I think its funnier when i player copies a squad someone else has made to the T and tries to play it, it normally doesnt turn out well. What people fail to realize is you will do much better in tourneys/regionals/gencon if you run something that YOU like not something that someone else likes.

I fell into "Dodonna Mode" last year around this time when really i liked running Assajj Assassin at the time. So instead of playing a squad i really liked and was unique i ran a rieekan dodonna team at DragonCon and did very poorly. I say all that just to point out that espeicially at 200 points litterally any faction can win a regional. Will me saying that stop everyone from running NR/Rebels (dodonna)? no. It does need to be said.

It takes a pretty good player to try and pull out a big win with one of the smaller factions. Id personally love to see it happen.

Who are the smaller fractions
curler88j
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:20:23 PM

Smaller Factions are OR, Sith, Mandos aka the ones that dont see alot of play
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 9:19:56 PM

curler88j wrote:
Smaller Factions are OR, Sith, Mandos aka the ones that dont see alot of play

To be fair I have seen quite a lot of sith squads on vassal in the past couple of months. Lol, not disputing them being a smaller faction though. Just making an interesting observation.
shinja
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 12:44:52 AM
Groups: Administration

I've seen it go badly when my opponent and I decide beforehand to play "fun" squads. (i.e. "You call that a fun squad?!") People have vastly different ideas of what is fun. To some people, fun is winning. BigGrin

I also find the whole fun or competitive question to be a difficult one. When I build squads, I'm usually trying to make a fun concept into a competitive squad, so my first instinct is always to answer "both". Or perhaps more accurately, I want you to play a competitive squad while I play a fun squad, so I can see if my fun squad is actually competitive, too.
empirejeff
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 2:52:33 AM

shinja wrote:
I've seen it go badly when my opponent and I decide beforehand to play "fun" squads. (i.e. "You call that a fun squad?!") People have vastly different ideas of what is fun. To some people, fun is winning. BigGrin

I also find the whole fun or competitive question to be a difficult one. When I build squads, I'm usually trying to make a fun concept into a competitive squad, so my first instinct is always to answer "both". Or perhaps more accurately, I want you to play a competitive squad while I play a fun squad, so I can see if my fun squad is actually competitive, too.

GVL 2.0 the was a list for tire 1 and tire 2 and normal. It was a great rule. I have talked to a couple of people who did not play gvl 2.0 and they agree it is a good rule.
qvos
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:17:59 PM

We have a lot of fun playing all kinds of teams. Maybe I get a little irritated because I have to always try come up with D0donna beaters. But we usually try and mix it up as best we can so it doesn't get stale.
NickName
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:35:08 AM

shinja wrote:

Nothing difficult about that. Your answer isn't "both," it's "competetive" in that case because you're trying to make some that can compete with other competetive squads. There's no fear on your part of getting smashed because you're bringing something just for theme reasons or because you never tried horrible piece X. "fun squads" is just shorthand/code for squads that have zero hope of even making for a semi-entertaining game against any sort of semi-competetive build. "fun" squads will lack things like door control, reasonable activation counts, counters to competetive concepts, and so on because you expect your opponent will not be taking advantage of those "cutthroat" concepts either in a "fun" environment.

Of course, once you put your subpar "fun" squad on the field there's nothing wrong with playing it to the best of your ability and trying to win.

And conversely, when you try your unusual (rather than "fun") competetive concept and it fails horribly against a competetive squad that doesn't mean your were wrong about the intent that it be a "competetive squad" game.

The "you call that a fun squad?" is real. And sometimes it's just a horrible matchup--oops I brought clone trooper swarm and you brought Palpy SL. Game over. Whenever I see a mismatch in my favor I offer to change it. (Conversely, if I see a mismatch in my opponent's favor I usually just laugh, comment there's no hope, and allow them to smash me as long as they don't play too slowly. And once in a while, surprised myself with a victory or near-victory. BigGrin )
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:59:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think NN has some great points.

I remember the last time I played. My opponent revealed his squad: Yomin'd Vongs...no Nom (basically warriors w/ Subaltern, Yomin, Shaper...nothing big). I revealed my squad: GGDAC w/ Twin Lancers. We looked at my squad and immediately said there was no point in playing the game out. His was fun, mine was more competitive. So...I just changed my squad and let him use his. I didn't pick something that would tear up Vong, just pulled the next squad out. Just happened to get my butt handed to me...really bad. (all those Vong...)

Point is, had we been in a tournament it would have been his tough luck and an easy victory for me. However, since we were just playing for fun, it made it much better for both of us to just change the one squad. Sure I lost, but it was much more fun with the spirit of the game being lighter for both of us. BlooMilk
empirejeff
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 8:49:59 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I think NN has some great points.

I remember the last time I played. My opponent revealed his squad: Yomin'd Vongs...no Nom (basically warriors w/ Subaltern, Yomin, Shaper...nothing big). I revealed my squad: GGDAC w/ Twin Lancers. We looked at my squad and immediately said there was no point in playing the game out. His was fun, mine was more competitive. So...I just changed my squad and let him use his. I didn't pick something that would tear up Vong, just pulled the next squad out. Just happened to get my butt handed to me...really bad. (all those Vong...)

Point is, had we been in a tournament it would have been his tough luck and an easy victory for me. However, since we were just playing for fun, it made it much better for both of us to just change the one squad. Sure I lost, but it was much more fun with the spirit of the game being lighter for both of us. BlooMilk

Lancer is one of the least fun pieces in the game if you pawn it. It can totally destroy squads that do not have an answer for it. Like mela squads.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 9:57:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Well...even just having Twin with no range limits on the CE was the key. Most of his Vong had 40hps or less. It would have been over in one turn.
Now if they just had Parry...
empirejeff
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:23:32 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Well...even just having Twin with no range limits on the CE was the key. Most of his Vong had 40hps or less. It would have been over in one turn.
Now if they just had Parry...

repose also works against itFlapper