RegisterDonateLogin

Is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Cards Options
pegolego
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:17:04 PM
Groups: Member

What is the best size to use, so that they print the same size as WotC ones? Or are they already so that if you copy/paste they should be the right size?
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:28:25 PM

pegolego wrote:
What is the best size to use, so that they print the same size as WotC ones? Or are they already so that if you copy/paste they should be the right size?

I usually go with Size 20 for the card names (unless its too big, then I go 18.)

Titles "Special Abilities" and "Force Powers" get size 16 font.

Title abilities get size 14, with ability descriptions getting size 12.

Honestly, I simplify everything and just make it all font Agency FB, but you could use the Aquarius/Helvetica fonts to make them more authentic. Go with what feels good.
pegolego
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:30:20 PM

Ok, thanks! What about the size of the card itself?
SignerJ
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:52:02 AM

I have two methods:

1) I copy-and-fit it onto one of the Lost Twenty cards from the Holocron, as those are specifically designed to print at the correct size.
2) I send the cards I make to a card-printing company I know of, and they print them out on poker-cards.

I haven't tried #2 yet, but I think that I'll end up preferring it to #1. While a bit more expensive and slightly more time-consuming, it should produce better quality cards that aren't just paper.

Of course, for you, I'd suggest method #1.

(And surf_rider, not all of the custom card templates off of Wizards are saved on this thread.)
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:24:44 AM

SignerJ wrote:
I have two methods:

1) I copy-and-fit it onto one of the Lost Twenty cards from the Holocron, as those are specifically designed to print at the correct size.
2) I send the cards I make to a card-printing company I know of, and they print them out on poker-cards.

I haven't tried #2 yet, but I think that I'll end up preferring it to #1. While a bit more expensive and slightly more time-consuming, it should produce better quality cards that aren't just paper.

(And surf_rider, not all of the custom card templates off of Wizards are saved on this thread.)

I'm at work where the pics are "filtered" out. What cards are missing??
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:40:10 AM

Ok, thanks guys! Now I just have to figure out how to get them to print on the back of each other, and make a CARD. But my higher-than-me-tech family should be able to help with that.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:32:02 AM

SignerJ wrote:
I have two methods:

Unfortunately, the Holocron no longer exists, is there another way to access these cards and copy them, and would they remain the proper size? Also, does Powerpoints print the proper size, or for this method to work, would I need a different program?
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:42:59 AM

Another question: How do I get a picture for the mini on the card (front and back)? I found some sketches that I liked, but they all had penciled backgrounds too, so I went to actual digital photos and such, but those all pasted with white backgrounds, and you could see it over the card. Is there a solution? How do you do it?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:34:01 AM

pegolego wrote:

Unfortunately, the Holocron no longer exists, is there another way to access these cards and copy them, and would they remain the proper size? Also, does Powerpoints print the proper size, or for this method to work, would I need a different program?

Quote from Wiki - "Most cards of today are rectangular, measuring 2½ inches by 3½ inches (6.4 cm by 8.9 cm)"

pegolego wrote:
Another question: How do I get a picture for the mini on the card (front and back)? I found some sketches that I liked, but they all had penciled backgrounds too, so I went to actual digital photos and such, but those all pasted with white backgrounds, and you could see it over the card. Is there a solution? How do you do it?

The hardest part is finding a good pic. Some prefer a good pic regardless of background, some just headshots; I prefer a full body/no background pic. If you don't know PowerPoint, Paint, or Photoshop, its time for you to learn because those are the programs most use ... and sorry, explaining it would be too much trouble if you don't know them and obvious if you do know the programs.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:41:07 AM

Yeah, I don't have photoshop anymore, so I'm figuring out the Powerpoint; I have to redownload paint (must not be on the new CPU; I can't find it). I just have to figure out how to make the pictures blank background not show, so that you can see the color of the card background. I too prefer the full body/no background pictures for the cards. And thanks, I figured out the size now :)
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:21:07 AM

pegolego wrote:
Yeah, I don't have photoshop anymore, so I'm figuring out the Powerpoint; I have to redownload paint (must not be on the new CPU; I can't find it). I just have to figure out how to make the pictures blank background not show, so that you can see the color of the card background. I too prefer the full body/no background pictures for the cards. And thanks, I figured out the size now :)

On the new version of PowerPoint, hit the Format tab, then the Recolor tab, then Set Transparent Color ....
HighLordHim
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:35:03 AM

Pegolego,

I don't know how you are manipulating these in PowerPoint, but I imagine Gimp would be much easier. I use Gimp and Microsoft Paint for my cards and they work very well. Gimp is free, and while it is intimidating at first, once you get used to it it is incredibly useful. I only know the basic tools and I have a great and relatively easy time manipulating portraits. I do, however, end up having to use backrounds with them - usually I just use movie stills.

I use Microsoft Paint for the text. Again, it takes getting used to because it is difficult to get everything right in the one try sometimes. Now I can crank out cards very quickly.

For simplicity I print my cards 4X6 and self-laminate them with sheets. The bigger size makes the text much easier to read and the laminate - if you don't shred the paper - makes them much more durable even on normal paper.

If you would like, pm me and I can send you the exact specs I use - font, ect. I wrote them down so that they are uniform.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:51:32 PM

I FINISHED MY FIRST ONE! I don't really know how to share it with you guys, but know that even though it took forever, being my first time, it turned out great! Thanks to everyone who helped BlooMilk ThumbsUp
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:02:07 AM

At last! Here it is: ThumbsUp BlooMilk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95394078@N02/8702478204/in/photostream

(whole link, not just the highlighted part)
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:08:10 PM

pegolego wrote:

First Glance:

Nice 1st effort! I think you've got the general technique down. Love your set logo (or is that your own personal logo?) ThumpUp

Now, for some constructive critique.

You put Special Abilities, Force Powers, and Commander Effect in bold, but not the actual SA's or FP's. SA and FP titles should be bold (but you correctly didn't put the descriptions in bold.)

Numbers are notoriously hard to center. If they absolutely, positively Must be centered to look their best, cut and paste after you make the pic of the whole card; same with the Side (Hit Points, Attk, Def & Damage.)

The SA's and FP's should be in Alpha order; example - Twin at the end, Furious Assault before Jedi Hunter but after Cyborg. To save space on a character with so many abilities, put the titles Melee Attack and Double Attack after Unique without the descriptions (WOTC did that too for the same reasons.)

My only other critique would be a better resolution of the card pic. You couldn't really download and use this particular pic; its too hard to read. A better resolution will make this a non-issue.

Once you've got the technique down, Then you can worry about correct costs and whether its a good piece, worthless or broken ... hey, one thing at a time! BigGrin

Nice job on pic #1 BlooMilk

Cheers
corranhorn
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:30:01 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
pegolego wrote:

First Glance:

Nice 1st effort! I think you've got the general technique down. Love your set logo (or is that your own personal logo?) ThumpUp

You put Special Abilities, Force Powers, and Commander Effect in bold, but not the actual SA's or FP's. SA and FP titles should be bold (but you correctly didn't put the descriptions in bold.)

Numbers are notoriously hard to center. If they absolutely, positively Must be centered to look their best, cut and paste after you make the pic of the whole card; same with the Side (Hit Points, Attk, Def & Damage.)

The SA's and FP's should be in Alpha order; example - Twin at the end, Furious Assault before Jedi Hunter but after Cyborg. To save space on a character with so many abilities, put the titles Melee Attack and Double Attack after Unique without the descriptions (WOTC did that too for the same reasons.)

My only other critique would be a better resolution of the card pic. You couldn't really download and use this particular pic; its too hard to read. A better resolution will make this a non-issue.

Once you've got the technique down, Then you can worry about correct costs and whether its a good piece, worthless or broken ... hey, one thing at a time! BigGrin

Cheers

I concur. ThumpUp Cool card.
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:33:46 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
pegolego wrote:

First Glance:

Cheers

Thanks Surfrider! As far as the SA's names being capital, they are, but the resolution makes it VERY hard to tell (I had to look again, and I MADE them!), which, for the resolution, they looked better when I actually printed them. I think they were bad because I was really just saving a section of the program template as a photo, then uploading it, so it made it kinda bad I guess.

Yeah, the numbers were pretty hard to get even that close to center, because the program I used has little notches you have to fit into, but I just found out I have Photoshop, which should be easier to make stuff exact.

OH! So that's how you decide what order the abilities go in! Alphabetical! Thanks, I never knew that. Should Unique, Melee and [_] attack still go first?

Oh, yeah I originally had it where I put Unique; Cyborg, Melee Attack; Double Attack; Twin Attack, but his abilities ended up not crowding as much space as I thought, so I put it the other way. Even if it fits, should it still be, with this many abilities, combined for space?

Yeah, I went over balancing and such on Bloomilk ahead of time (he was my first custom way back, I've recosted him and edited abilities/stats and especially the CE MANY times LOL).

Thanks for ALL your help Surfrider! I couldn't have done it without you! ThumbsUp
BlooMilk

And thank you too corranhorn!
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:49:11 PM

pegolego wrote:

Thanks Surfrider! As far as the SA's names being capital, they are, but the resolution makes it VERY hard to tell (I had to look again, and I MADE them!), which, for the resolution, they looked better when I actually printed them. I think they were bad because I was really just saving a section of the program template as a photo, then uploading it, so it made it kinda bad I guess.

Yeah, the numbers were pretty hard to get even that close to center, because the program I used has little notches you have to fit into, but I just found out I have Photoshop, which should be easier to make stuff exact.

OH! So that's how you decide what order the abilities go in! Alphabetical! Thanks, I never knew that. Should Unique, Melee and [_] attack still go first?

Oh, yeah I originally had it where I put Unique; Cyborg, Melee Attack; Double Attack; Twin Attack, but his abilities ended up not crowding as much space as I thought, so I put it the other way. Even if it fits, should it still be, with this many abilities, combined for space?

Yeah, I went over balancing and such on Bloomilk ahead of time (he was my first custom way back, I've recosted him and edited abilities/stats and especially the CE MANY times LOL).

Thanks for ALL your help Surfrider! I couldn't have done it without you! ThumbsUp
BlooMilk

And thank you too corranhorn!

Unique, Melee & Double should always go first. Unless the piece has almost no abilities, always go with no abilty descriptions on those; save space!
pegolego
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:54:56 PM

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'll go back and edit it. I think part of the reason I didn't is because Melee attack; double attack; twin attack was too big to fit on one line, but I can at least do Melee/Double
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:19:21 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
SignerJ wrote:
I have two methods:

I'm at work where the pics are "filtered" out. What cards are missing??

Sorry, I realize that I was a bit unclear. I mean that there are other basic designs; this thread does have all of the factions for this design, however.

Also, pegolego, nice first card! I remember mine, and yours is much better!