RegisterDonateLogin

Life is short. Yoda is shorter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

opinions of a bitter old man Options
PooDoo
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:47:24 PM
Groups: Member

I've not played with Bastilla, and no one in my group does. Either(yet). That's not saying we don't like her, we just haven't really messed around with OR. But now? I have some great squad ideas for her CE killing booty. Her and Revan will go nicely together. I haven't play tested Mace yet either. From looking at his card, he seems like he's undercosted for everything he can do. Thars not saying he's broken by any means, as you still have to be able to fit him in a squad, but his card should be costed higher. Ill try him out tomorrow!
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:29:23 PM

juice man wrote:
May I point out (as per the OP) we eliminated the new Mace in casual play IE: just for fun. It's not fun to see your Sith Leviathan go down in one activation VS Mace Light and he still has a flurry and a normal attack left. Granted, lucky rolls, but still.
As for the Fire Breather - I like it. No Force Immunity. (Thought Bomb, ouch)

Bastila- agian: casual play. We also don't use Rieken or Super Steath for casual play(well, not a whole sqaud).
It's to early to see what Bastila will do in competition, let alone Mace Light.

I know what was said, I did read the post. I was offering the counter-opinion, because I think banning these pieces in any form of play is silly, for the reasons I stated. Rieekan I understand, Super Stealth I halfway understand, but I see no good reason whatsoever to give Bastila or Mace the same treatment.

And jak, banned and eliminated are 100% synonyms in this context. If it makes you feel better, though, take my first place and change all instances of "banned" to "eliminated" and it will still perfectly represent my thoughts.
PooDoo
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:09:14 PM

[edited to keep on topic - let's just leave out discussing issues about other members (former or not)]

I'm very dissappointed that people cannot express their personal opinions and choices when they play casually.
I jumped into this game relatively late, around GAW I think, and everytime I was browsing the forums, I've seen people get jumped because of their opinions. If the thought of the Vset is to keep the blood flowing in this game, I see no point in putting a strangle hold on others opinions. Not once have I heard or read anything about anyone bashing the Vset. I've read about people expressing what works for them, and what doesn't. [] No one is attacking the set, so why not just be reasonable? Ask why they feel the way they do about SOME of the cards. If you are the guys that put these sets together, wouldn't it be wise to hear the input of the people who PAY to use the cards? I mean in all honesty, you guys play the game, same as everyone else on this site. Accept peoples opinions for what they are, opinions.
creme_brule
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:00:21 PM

juice man wrote:
creme_brule wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Mara Jade Jedi is a good comparison, and I think she is at least equitable with him - she can easily put 120 on something, and lightsaber block and parry don't work against her. She doesn't have as many defensive abilities though, which is why Mace costs 20 points more. He's also pretty comparable with Jaina Solo - she has more defence, especially when she's played with Wedge, but not quite as much offensive potential.

Actually, I think Mara has better defensive powers than Mace. She has a shooter-defense (Stealth), and a Melee-defense (Block). And if you add in Wedge, she gets Evade and Mobile. She is probably one of the few main reasons why NR is in the top five squads today. Compare her defensive powers to Windu's: LS Reflect (10) and Riposte. Now, I'll grant you that Mace is a waay better Melee beat; but LS Reflect is a rip-off power IMHO. Spend two force just to deflect damage; and IF you happen to make the save theres another 50% chance that the attacker will take damage....10 damage to be exact. Not ever worth it unless you're Vader LOTF. The only saving grace that keeps Mara down to earth is that she doesn't have Renewal -- wait, I forgot. She has access to force spirits.

Yes, but it's not Renewal 2 with MotF 2. We found (with our limited play-testing) that with a boat-load of force points we would re-roll at least one hit to try for that 20% chance for a critical.

I totally agree with you there. Mace already has a near 50% chance of rolling one crit when he unleashes a normal triple; rerolling two of them bumps his chances up to 77% chance of hitting AT LEAST one crit. Personally; one small tweak to even out his cost would be to remove mastery (make it normal vaapad) and maybe MotF 2.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:07:55 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you there. Mace already has a near 50% chance of rolling one crit when he unleashes a normal triple; rerolling two of them bumps his chances up to 77% chance of hitting AT LEAST one crit. Personally; one small tweak to even out his cost would be to remove mastery (make it normal vaapad) and maybe MotF 2.

I think he needs crits to justify his cost. Getting 60 damage from a 65 point character isn't that much; Jaina Solo, SOTJ, is a good piece at 56 points with triple and GMA, but she's not dominating the tables. And Jaina has parry and access to evade, so she's easier to keep alive in some ways - although to be fair, Windu has access to swap, and to damage boosters like rolling cleave and momentum. I think he's nasty, but not as deadly as either Lord Vader or Mara, both of whom have the option to get past parry/lightsaber block.

To be fair, I've played exactly one casual playtest game with him - he did a bit of damage, as you'd expect, but he wasn't unfairly hard to drop. He can't use riposte without taking some damage first.
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:17:45 PM

he could then crit again on the riposte then, couldn't he?Confused
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:18:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
Quote:

I think he needs crits to justify his cost. Getting 60 damage from a 65 point character isn't that much; Jaina Solo, SOTJ, is a good piece at 56 points with triple and GMA, but she's not dominating the tables. And Jaina has parry and access to evade, so she's easier to keep alive in some ways - although to be fair, Windu has access to swap, and to damage boosters like rolling cleave and momentum. I think he's nasty, but not as deadly as either Lord Vader or Mara, both of whom have the option to get past parry/lightsaber block.

To be fair, I've played exactly one casual playtest game with him - he did a bit of damage, as you'd expect, but he wasn't unfairly hard to drop. He can't use riposte without taking some damage first.

I agree with this last bit. He's very dangerous, but I don't think he will always earn his points.
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:20:23 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Quote:

That's a pretty good summary of what official playtests of him were like, and the kind of results I expect most people to see out of him.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:56:42 PM

@ Jak: If your group is a closed one, meaning that you meet at a private residence and there are never any new players introduced to it, and if the 'eliminations' are unanimous, then not only do I understand your reasoning I also encourage you to keep moving on that path. The most important thing is that people continue to play this game. If your 'closed' group wants to pick and choose and thats what it takes to keep the interest high, go for it!

However, if you guys ever venture out into other groups, you've done yourselves a disservice by not playing everything. I will tell you that I hate lancer squads. I don't like playing seps and I hate that the lancer has taken away my swarm squads. That being said, I went out and got a second lancer and tried learning the concepts on Vassal from great players who know how to play the various 1 and 2 lancer variants. I read what lancer experts like Urban Jedi and Timmerb have to say about it. Getting stomped quite often by it has taught me some of the defenses and strategies I can use. It has made me a better player.

Like I said, though, the ultimate goal here is to keep individual playgroups happy. We need to keep growing the game in the years after WotC kicked us to the curb.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:56:19 PM

PooDoo wrote:
[edited to keep on topic - let's just leave out discussing issues about other members (former or not)]

I'm very dissappointed that people cannot express their personal opinions and choices when they play casually.
I jumped into this game relatively late, around GAW I think, and everytime I was browsing the forums, I've seen people get jumped because of their opinions. If the thought of the Vset is to keep the blood flowing in this game, I see no point in putting a strangle hold on others opinions. Not once have I heard or read anything about anyone bashing the Vset. I've read about people expressing what works for them, and what doesn't. [] No one is attacking the set, so why not just be reasonable? Ask why they feel the way they do about SOME of the cards. If you are the guys that put these sets together, wouldn't it be wise to hear the input of the people who PAY to use the cards? I mean in all honesty, you guys play the game, same as everyone else on this site. Accept peoples opinions for what they are, opinions.

If someone who has playtested a piece reads a statement that is contrary to their playtesting, why shouldn't they respond? Why is posting an opinion contrary to the first opinion considered an attack? In my years on here, 'Gamers and the WotC site (not now but before it became a ghost town) the best discussions were when people with dissenting opinions went back and forth. Sure, sometimes things got out of hand but more often than not, if the 2 posters were mature, a lot could be learned from the discussion.
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:48:05 AM

PooDoo wrote:

Who said you couldn't have an opinion? Have you never debated something before? If someone comes in saying something like "mace is a little too strong" or something similar I feel it's my right as one of the lead playtesters to defend what we've made. Mace was tested by at least 7 people with their groups not one of them said he was OP. that doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but just know of all the people who played him none thought him too good.

The same goes for every piece we've made so far.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:56:47 AM

@ darth jim (DJ)~I love those initials~thanx for not telling me my opinion was wrong

We play open and closed, for fun, and competitively.

the Original Post ONLY refers to playing for fun.

it's not funCrying to have your well build squad's CE negated because of Bastila

also not funCursing to have new windu move 10 spaces (motf 2) or 22 spaces (+doombot)
and attack 3 or 4 x (fliobi) with a darn good chance to critScared

we just agree before we play if there are any limits to squad building, we do this a lot, because it forces you to build a squad that is different from ones just built to win. I would rather have funThumbsUp with a game than win
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:13:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I will just mention that there is a pretty good silver bullet for Mace, one I would imagine is already popular in more casual games. Durge. No Vaapad Mastery really, really shuts him down.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:58:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sithborg wrote:
I will just mention that there is a pretty good silver bullet for Mace, one I would imagine is already popular in more casual games. Durge. No Vaapad Mastery really, really shuts him down.

Perhaps Saesee JM will come out to play a bit more as well.

Obviously, Durge JH can put the hurt on Mace a lot quicker.
PooDoo
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:28:20 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Perhaps Saesee JM will come out to play a bit more as well.

Obviously, Durge JH can put the hurt on Mace a lot quicker.
Toss in Whorm and its really fun.
PooDoo
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:36:02 AM

Weeks wrote:
PooDoo wrote:

Who said you couldn't have an opinion? Have you never debated something before? If someone comes in saying something like "mace is a little too strong" or something similar I feel it's my right as one of the lead playtesters to defend what we've made. Mace was tested by at least 7 people with their groups not one of them said he was OP. that doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but just know of all the people who played him none thought him too good.

Im sorry that my post reads that way, my post, before it was edited was in response to a member who was making accusations towards me and some of the other members. However, as Ive read thru this thread, I have seen some opinions get miscontrued while others took these opinions as somewhat personal. I stand by my original statement about opinions and what they represent(opinions).
I would never take away from a play tester, their work theyve put into playtesting and their own opinions on the played character. So again, Im sorry that my post looks as if Im saying people shouldnt stand by their opinions.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:57:35 AM

Weeks wrote:
PooDoo wrote:

I think he might be referring to the rather vigorous defence of mace, and maybe a post that was modded and then deleted. As a developer/playtester Mace is your baby and "Nobody puts Baby in a corner". Would you be so vigorous if this was a WotC piece? Maybe.
Perhaps over time and some more playing we'll see that Mace Light is not the Bug-a-Boo we think. Jaina SotJ turned out that way.

EDIT
Wow I type slow.
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:56:27 PM

Our group had the privilege of playtesting the new Windu a while back. We played countless games against various opponents and squads. Here is the conclusion we as a group came up with.

1. The new Windu is indeed powerful. there were games when Windu could go great distances with Doombot and take out opposing commanders and figures. The Vaapad Mastery worked either very well(when he was your guy), or very crappy(when he was your opponent or when during the course of a game, he scored no crits). I personally liked this figure very much for what he did against some of the new Bastilla squads.

2. There were also many squads that the new Windu could not stand up against. I wont tell all the squads, and there were a few, but i will say that although Mace LOTS did well against BAstilla squads, and even beat the Atris Bastilla squads 1 time, The Echani handmaiden squads gave him fits!!! Tore him up. Some of the other shooter squads toatally destroyed him

3. As far as costing, there are not too many people who will not agree with the fact that the older versions of Mace, The Champions version notwithstanding, were way to overcosted, and for the most part unplayable. I asked myself, how often in 6 years have I ever played Mace.. Maybe 2 or three times. And that the was The General version

4. My other conclusion was this: If you are a person that likes to play one squad all the time, Perhaps the Rebels, or NR. You won't like Mace LOLS. there are some squads that do well and some that don't. The whole purpose of the vsets were not only to infuse new blood to the game but to make the game playable, exiting, and to give more options for various squads. Mace does this

Lastly, I like the fact that you can come on this site and express your opinion. I think You as the OP did a good job expressing your reservations. And I can see why you might feel this way. I only hope you will give this figure a chance as I did. It made me want to play more as well as actually do a custom figure . Thanks!
juice man
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:22:24 AM

qvos wrote:
Our group had the privilege of playtesting the new Windu a while back. We played countless games against various opponents and squads. Here is the conclusion we as a group came up with.

1. The new Windu is indeed powerful. there were games when Windu could go great distances with Doombot and take out opposing commanders and figures. The Vaapad Mastery worked either very well(when he was your guy), or very crappy(when he was your opponent or when during the course of a game, he scored no crits). I personally liked this figure very much for what he did against some of the new Bastilla squads.

2. There were also many squads that the new Windu could not stand up against. I wont tell all the squads, and there were a few, but i will say that although Mace LOTS did well against BAstilla squads, and even beat the Atris Bastilla squads 1 time, The Echani handmaiden squads gave him fits!!! Tore him up. Some of the other shooter squads toatally destroyed him

3. As far as costing, there are not too many people who will not agree with the fact that the older versions of Mace, The Champions version notwithstanding, were way to overcosted, and for the most part unplayable. I asked myself, how often in 6 years have I ever played Mace.. Maybe 2 or three times. And that the was The General version

4. My other conclusion was this: If you are a person that likes to play one squad all the time, Perhaps the Rebels, or NR. You won't like Mace LOLS. there are some squads that do well and some that don't. The whole purpose of the vsets were not only to infuse new blood to the game but to make the game playable, exiting, and to give more options for various squads. Mace does this

Lastly, I like the fact that you can come on this site and express your opinion. I think You as the OP did a good job expressing your reservations. And I can see why you might feel this way. I only hope you will give this figure a chance as I did. It made me want to play more as well as actually do a custom figure . Thanks!

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp BlooMilk