RegisterDonateLogin

If you strike Bloo Milk down, it shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Preparing For Regionals Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:08:15 AM
Groups: Member

sharron wrote:
luke hates thrawn wrote:
That Vong squad is probably one of the best Ive seen constructed ever for a current meta.

what was it?

This one? Deceptively powerful.

--We Are Warriors!--
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Nei Rin
27 Lobot
20 Yuuzhan Vong Hunter on Quednak
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
22 Yuuzhan Vong High-bred Warrior x2

(200pts. 10 activations)
Duplicate Squads
Public: 0
Private: 1
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:11:39 AM

Do mandos have a chance this year?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:46:57 PM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:

Kelborn gives them hope
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:19:16 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Kelborn gives them hope

I'm no Mando expert, but I really like the Kelborn/Mandalore The Vindicated/Fenn Shysa core - Kelborn gives lots of movement, Mandalore is a beast for 58 points with disruptive and Beskarga'am, and Fenn Shysa stops your squad getting toasted by a Lancer and keeps Mandalore alive. I would have happily run something with those three at LowerHuttACon, but I felt like I hadn't had enough practice with them to take them to a major tournament.

Mike Moore Smuggler ran a squad that was pretty much all Cloaked against me in a practice game too - it would be very hard for some squads to deal with - it had Kelborn, Scouts, the Tactician, Death Watch Saboteur, with the Captain out the back giving twin. I think it's also a good option.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:12:28 PM

Tantalus comes to mind when talking about the Mandos' chances.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:14:45 PM

i think they have a few squads that could push them up to the top this year. They do have alot of in faction abillities that drastically help them pieces like the Technician, aKelborn, and the Shysa do them some great justice
sharron
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:00:48 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
sharron wrote:
luke hates thrawn wrote:
That Vong squad is probably one of the best Ive seen constructed ever for a current meta.

what was it?

--We Are Warriors!--
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Nei Rin
27 Lobot

(200pts. 10 activations)
Duplicate Squads

Can you charging fire AND gallop? I thought if you replaced your turn it wouldn't work?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:40:02 AM

sharron wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
sharron wrote:
luke hates thrawn wrote:

what was it?

--We Are Warriors!--
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Nei Rin
27 Lobot

(200pts. 10 activations)
Duplicate Squads

Can you charging fire AND gallop? I thought if you replaced your turn it wouldn't work?

You can. Gallop doesn't replace anything, it's just anytime you move on your turn.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:11:13 PM

I just ran some numbers through Excel - from two Regionals and LowerHuttACon:

We've had the following faction representation:
Sith: run 11 times
Republic: run 8 times
Separatist: run 7 times
New Republic: run 6 times
Yuuzhan Vong: run 6 times
Imperial: run 4 times
Mandalorian: run 3 times
Old Republic: run 2 times
(not run: Rebels)

It's not surprising that Sith are popular - they've had a lot of fun new toys. There have been a couple of Sith squads that are effectively Mando squads tapping into Darth Sidious Hologram.

I also aggregated the final rankings for each player, as a number for each faction. I didn't have placings for those outside the top 5 in Michigan, so I gave those all the median of the remaining positions. An average placing of 1 would indicate that the only time(s) this faction have been run it has won, while an average placing of 0.5 means that overall the faction is performing averagely overall.

The factions that have been placing above average are:
Imperial (average 0.68)
Republic (0.59)
Separatists (0.59)

Average:
New Republic (0.49)
Sith (0.48)

And below average:
Yuuzhan Vong (0.38)
Mandalorian (0.30)
Old Republic (0.29)
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:50:18 PM

Interesting stuff. OR has really fallen out of vogue lately I guess, and it's even surprising that NO ONE has played Rebels. Imperials aren't really popular either, but the people who have been playing them have been doing well. Sith (and especially Caedus) appear to be the hot new thing, although they're 5th out of 8 in effectiveness.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:24:58 PM

Echo24 wrote:
Interesting stuff. OR has really fallen out of vogue lately I guess, and it's even surprising that NO ONE has played Rebels. Imperials aren't really popular either, but the people who have been playing them have been doing well. Sith (and especially Caedus) appear to be the hot new thing, although they're 5th out of 8 in effectiveness.

It's like Caedus is 2013's Mace Windu LotLS. Although he seems to be doing better at making the top 4s so far.

With Old Republic, I'd be pretty of scared of running into a Sith squad - I think Sith have the advantage there as they're often not that reliant on CEs and a bit bigger and tougher, and they've been popular so far.

I think things have opened up enough that any faction can win on its day, and that already happened last year. But so far it looks like the factions that were strong before the v-sets are still a little stronger overall - Wizards pieces like Mon Mothma, the Lancer, and Thrawn are still awesome, and the factions that had a lot of good pieces before the v-sets still have more depth and options overall. I think this happened last year too - both Imperials and Republic did very well last year.

Percentage of squads into the top 4 is probably a better measure?
Sith: made the Top Four, 4 times in 11 attempts: 36%
Separatist: made the Top Four, 3 times in 7 attempts: 43%
Imperial: made the Top Four, 2 times in 4 attempts: 50%
Republic: made the Top Four, 2 times in 8 attempts: 25%
New Republic: made the Top Four, 1 time in 6 attempts: 17%
jhc36
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:28:33 AM

So, what you're tellling me is that the vong suck again?

didn't see that one coming. blasted those stupid vong. that's right atlanta...i'm not bringing that stupid faction this year.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 9:17:44 AM

jhc36 wrote:
that's right atlanta...i'm not bringing that stupid faction this year.

Blink Blink Blink

But... but you're the VONG GUY!!!
markedman247
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:00:46 AM

Echo24 wrote:
jhc36 wrote:
that's right atlanta...i'm not bringing that stupid faction this year.

Blink Blink Blink

But... but you're the VONG GUY!!!

*Reads JHC's comment*
I have no heroes any more!
*crumples the Internet. Tosses it into a dumpster. Tears fall as disillusionment sets in*
shmi15
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:35:06 AM

I dunno if you factored these into your data base, but the PA/MD regional just happened, and as usual, here are the squads (again) in some what order after the Swiss.

1. Josh Hinkel
No name
Asteroid Base
Sith

Darth Caedus
Darth Zannah
Atton Rand
Vergere
Exar Kun FS
Sith recruit X 3
Ugnaught demolitionist X 2

2. Jason Kiernan
Lancer Nation
Muun
Seperatist

Grievous DAC
Darth Sideous
Lancer X 2
IG 86
Gha Nacht
Mouse X 5
Ugnaught demolitionist X 3

3. Gerry Russell
Licensed to Kill
Rhen Var
Sith

Darth Caedus
Darth Zannah
Atton
G.A.R.Y.
Exar Kun FS
Sith recruit X 4
R7
Caamasi
Ugnaught demolitionist

4. Luke Cook
Here Comes the Boom
Muun
Republic

Mon Mothma
Morrigan Corde
Klatoonian Assassin X 7
R2D2
Jabba CL
Admiral Yularen
Rodian Diplomat
Ugnaught demolitionist

5. Steve Mitchell
tWinning!
Lobot
Whorm
Jabba CL
Gha Nacht
Klatoonian Assassin
R7
Ugnaught demolitionist
Mouse X 10

6. Jim McNaney
Barney and Friends
Bothan Spynet
Imperials

Desann
Corso Riggs
Nightsister Mother
Thrawn
Mas Amedda
Admiral Pellaeon
Admiral Ozzel
Lobot
Rodian brute X 3

7. Justin Warrenfeltz
Yeah that's not gonna work
Asteroid Base
Republic

Mace
GOWK
Dash
JWM
R2D2
R7
Mouse

8. Lou Vasilion
The Fragile Hammer
Ravaged Base
Sith

Darth Zannah
Mandalore the lesser
Wyyrlock
Mando scout X 2
Mando gunsmith
Mando CIO
HoloSid
Mando scientist

9. Ted Peck
Celestial Luke
Asteroid Base
New Republic

Celeste Morne
Han GH
Luke GH
Czerka
Watto
Dodonna
R7
Mouse

10. Chris Cook
Here they R now they're here
Muun
Mandalorian

Mando scout X 3
Lobot
Mereel
Kelborn
R7
Mando captain

11. Evan Savage
Swag Yolo Mc420 Bites
Not listed
Sith

Darth Caedus
Darth Zannah
Vergere
Darth Bandon
Lobot
Exar Kun FS

12. Andy Hatton
Arise Darth Caedus
Asteroid Base
Sith

Darth Caedus
Atton
Darth Bandon
Lobot
Marka Ragnos FS
Exar Kun FS
Sith recruit X 4
Mouse X 3

13. Corey Budwine
Vindicated Mandos
Asteroid Base
Mandalorian

Mandalore the vindicated
Kelborn
Mando captain
Mando scout X 2
Mando infiltrator
Mando CIO
Deathwatch Saboteur
R7
Mouse X 3

14. Bob Fissel
Loser
Bothan Spynet
Seperatist

Heavy super battle droid
IG 100 magnaguard artillerist
Commando droid X 2
IG 88 Assassin
Oom 9
IG 88a
YVH 1

15. Joe Peters
Agents of Evil
Ravaged Base
Imperials

Ugnaught demolitionist
Moff Jerjerrod
Lobot CLO
Admiral Pellaeon
R7
Mas Amedda
Thrawn
Darth Vader AoE
501st stormtrooper X 4

16. Dan Stinson
Gimme my IGGY Shammich
Muun
Old Republic

Satele Shan
Bastilla Shan
IG 88a
IG Assassin
Lobot
Mouse X 4
shmi15
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:53:37 AM

Sith have 2 in the top 4! interesting, each based off Caedus/Zannah.

Looks like that combo is the most used right now. I might have overlooked.... But was Cad Bane (the new one) not ran at all in Pa?

And why are the Rebels not seeing any love? I thought they would be ran for sure..... What are the concerns with them? Not beefy enough? Not enough to build around?

And JHC..... You really think the Vong suck?

Anyone else noticing any patterns?

And what of these death shot Klats!? Out of no where and now they are an NPE that is on the scale of the Naboo Troopers
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 1:15:00 PM

jhc36 wrote:
So, what you're tellling me is that the vong suck again?

didn't see that one coming. blasted those stupid vong. that's right atlanta...i'm not bringing that stupid faction this year.

According to the stats, they're 6th best out of 9 - that's not that bad, and probably better than Vong have been historically. All 3 Vong squads at LowerHuttACon performed respectably enough, and exact placings for the squads that didn't make the top 5 in Michigan would help clarify that too. And they probably would have done pretty well at PA/MD with all those Sith squads running around.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:44:29 PM

There are Atlanta Regional results on the SWM Facebook group - it looks like there were two NR squads (both with 100 point Luke), one Mando squad, and one Imperial squad in the top 4. The Mando squad, with Mandalore the Vindicated, Kelborn, and Fenn Shysa, was top after Swiss, but the Imperial Stealth and Blue squad ended up taking the title.

So Imperials have been doing very well so far - out of the 3 Regionals so far + LowerHuttACon, Imperials have won 3, all with minimal v-set pieces. The LowerHuttACon squad used Pellaeon and Morrigan Corde, the Michigan squad used Atris, and I assume that the Atlanta squad just used Pellaeon.

I think it just shows that the Imperials have access to some really strong game breaking abilities, with access to Thrawn, Mas Amedda, Ozzel, and Pellaeon, and the v-sets haven't really diluted the power that these game controlling abilities bring to the table.

Not that the Imperials are unbeatable at all - it feels like the meta's been falling into the lap so far - lots of beefy Sith and NR squads, and less swarm squads and mass killer squads. Plus all the winning squads have been piloted by established players who have a proven record with their squad.
shmi15
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 4:37:26 AM

Imps have made a strong comeback this year for sure... But, like you said also, the people running them have great track records.

Good to see Luke MOTO come out strong here. BHC pieces have been said to be non competitive b/c of their point cost, but this build fits the meta... speaking of meta.

Is it safe to say that right now people should build against Stealth and Blue? Seems they have a heavy presence and definitely a winning attitude. If so... What that is being ran right now is a good counter?

Lets keep this discussion up guys, its for your benefit to see whats popular and whats good so you have easier preperation, and with Imps dominating this early... Its either join the Empire... Or die!

P.S. I have not found a full list of squads ran... Anyone care to BM them to me? Or just post them here?
Echo24
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 5:34:58 AM

Everyone asking for squad lists... Can't a guy take a Sunday off to go to a baseball game? Flapper

I'll try to have all the squad lists up today, although my work computer is all screwed up so we'll see how that goes.

As for the meta, ours was actually ripe for Luke MotO to do well, which was interesting. It also made Stealth and Blue an amazing meta call. In fact, Graham actually named his squad "Meta Call", lol. For some examples of what I mean: Nick Ferguson, the guy who got 2nd place, played against 3 melee-based squads and 1 squad of Red Squadron Aces (who have to get adjacent to do real damage) in the Swiss rounds. Unsurprisingly, a 100 point melee piece does really well against other melee squads! Stephen Sloop played against at least 2 melee-based squads plus mine, and the tone for my game against him was my Kyle Katarn failing to kill his Vergere in round 1 needing 6s, and then my whole squad failing to kill his Jacen Solo, sticking only 60 of 260 attempted Damage on him (curse you Embrace of Pain!), and then a massive brain fart by me later in the game.

Once in the top 4, though, the Luke MotO squads both got waxed by Stealth and Blue. In the semifinal game against Stephen, Graham lost just 4 or 5 Rodian Brutes and that's it, and in the final game against Nick Graham lost Lobot and nothing else. That's why I've always said that Luke MotO isn't quite a competitive piece: it does have some GREAT matchup (basically any melee-focused squad will get shredded by Luke), but the bad matchups he has are just SO BAD that he has no real chance of winning. And those bad matchups aren't even uncommon squads. The map list was also key to their victories, because Stephen's squad had 1 Ugnaught and nothing else for door control and Nick's squad had 2 Ugnaughts. Rancor Pen was by far the most popular map, though, (I played on it in 4 out of 4 games I played) so they didn't have to worry about doors.

If the meta stays melee-heavy with things like Luke GH, Mace, GOWK, and Caedus all over, then Luke MotO will keep having some good matchups. The problem is that if you get paired against one of the near auto-loss matchups, then that's that.