RegisterDonateLogin

This party's over.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Championship updates Options
Galactic Funk
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:10:16 PM
Groups: Member

Deri over Gerry. Not sure when he and Tim squate off.

And evidently Ricky is running Jarael, Marn, Lobot and Anakin GH w/ Luke and has defeated Bryan's Thon squad.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:20:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Galactic Funk wrote:

And evidently Ricky is running Jarael, Marn, Lobot and Anakin GH w/ Luke and has defeated Bryan's Thon squad.

Anakin GH strikes me as strange since there's no one to meld with. Jarael with LSDef and Renewal would be awesome, though, if she had a lightsaber.
SignerJ
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:29:42 PM

Galactic Funk wrote:

That's a shame. I was kind of rooting for that Thon squad.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:34:19 PM

I just went back and looked at the text I got and it says Anakin Solo so it could be the original. There was also no mention of Ganner or Dodonna but I would think there is a very good chance of them being in there. Original Anakin does make a little more sense now that I think about it.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:37:53 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Galactic Funk wrote:

Anakin GH strikes me as strange since there's no one to meld with. Jarael with LSDef and Renewal would be awesome, though, if she had a lightsaber.
True that. I can totally see the Luke/Marn/Jarael combo, but I'm not sure what purpose Anakin has...unless maybe it's the original Anakin Solo?

Ricky must have some real tricks up his sleeve, since I would've expected the Thon squad to have the advantage in that matchup. I've played against Ricky before, a few times...he's a very good player, no doubt of that.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:46:22 PM

So, taking the information we've got so far, here is how the remaining games look:

==Semifinal==
Tim Ballard (Lancer and Poggle bombs) vs Deri Morgan (Rebels w Admiral Ackbar)

==Final==
Ricky Heck - (Luke GH/Marn/Jarael/Anakin) vs Tim or Deri

Congrats on making the finals, Ricky! I've been there twice, and if I could offer some advice, it would simply be this: Treat it as just any other game. It's far too easy to psyche yourself out, thinking, "OMG! It's the FINALS!!" Scared Just relax and enjoy the game, stay focused, and BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN WIN. Cheers!

And I'd love to watch that game between Tim and Deri...they're both insanely good players, and they've played vs each other a lot.

Thanks for all the updates, everyone!
SignerJ
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:51:10 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
==Semifinal==

That looks like a pretty even match-up to me.

(Of course, I have no clue how either of those squads play, so I am probably completely wrong.)
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:55:42 PM

SignerJ wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
==Semifinal==

That looks like a pretty even match-up to me.

(Of course, I have no clue how either of those squads play, so I am probably completely wrong.)

I've never even SEEN an Ackbar squad! Laugh

I know the Lancer/Poggle squad well, though. And Tim is probably the best player in the game with it (though Graham is right up there too).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:56:08 PM

Apparently none of us knows what is in the Ackbar squad beyond, well, Ackbar. But Ackbar is a combine-fire beast, which means there's a good chance that Deri has a large number of low-HP pieces. Which would indicate a strong advantage to the Lancer. Just guessing...
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:59:49 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Apparently none of us knows what is in the Ackbar squad beyond, well, Ackbar. But Ackbar is a combine-fire beast, which means there's a good chance that Deri has a large number of low-HP pieces. Which would indicate a strong advantage to the Lancer. Just guessing...
Yes, I was thinking the same, actually.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:12:53 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Deri is essentianlly running his commando squad with Ackbar thrown in. The issue in the Tim matchup, is that it appears to be designed to target the heavy hitters. Tim doesn't depend on too many heavy attackers. It will be an interesting game, likely dependant on Deri's manuevering of Madine's Disruptive.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:16:22 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Deri is essentianlly running his commando squad with Ackbar thrown in. The issue in the Tim matchup, is that it appears to be designed to target the heavy hitters. Tim doesn't depend on too many heavy attackers. It will be an interesting game, likely dependant on Deri's manuevering of Madine's Disruptive.

Again, not knowing Deri's squad, but if he's chosen Mon Cals as filler (likely as 3-pt combine fire pieces), he can possibly activate the Lancer or any other droids by using a Mon Cal Tech as a primary shooter. Though that would require a lot of combine fire to hit and then a missed save.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:20:13 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Again, not knowing Deri's squad, but if he's chosen Mon Cals as filler (likely as 3-pt combine fire pieces), he can possibly activate the Lancer or any other droids by using a Mon Cal Tech as a primary shooter. Though that would require a lot of combine fire to hit and then a missed save.

Deri's Commando squad (which won the Championships in 2009) was a Han/Leia/Crix/ERC squad, so it's likely that he would just be able to 1-shot the Lancer in many situations. If that happens, the game will pretty much belong to Deri, since Tim's lone IG-86 droid won't be enough to take down the rest of the Rebels. I don't imagine that Deri will be using his MCTSs for much more than combining fire...if he even gets a chance to use them, after Tim does his strafing run(s).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:24:49 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Deri's Commando squad (which won the Championships in 2009) was a Han/Leia/Crix/ERC squad, so it's likely that he would just be able to 1-shot the Lancer in many situations. If that happens, the game will pretty much belong to Deri, since Tim's lone IG-86 droid won't be enough to take down the rest of the Rebels. I don't imagine that Deri will be using his MCTSs for much more than combining fire...if he even gets a chance to use them, after Tim does his strafing run(s).

Good point. But it would probably be a first to see Scramble used in the GenCon finals.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:27:53 PM

Very true. I'd do it just for coolness-factor. It would kind of be like Chewbacca Fearless Scout winning a Regional! :)
harryg
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:31:55 PM

Or Han Solo of hoth... Or 3p0 ewok deity....
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:32:59 PM

Or Glass Jabba.... Or the Inflatable Rancor....
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:21:50 PM

Bryan tweaked the squad by mixing in some of my O/R pilots and Klatoonian Cpt and a O/R Senator, but his masterstroke was mounting the mouse on Thon and charging assaulting and then giving the free attack to Thon from the Senator relayed by the mouse. His final four game against Ricky had both of them in the 80's in the last or next to last round by Ricky used Jarael's shock and triple to activate Thon for 2 straight rounds and Bryan couldn't overcome it. Ricky's Luke was down to 20 or 30 HP though and it was tight.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:34:40 AM

I saw that it's Ricky's NR vs Tim's Seps in the final?
Galactic Funk
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:23:35 AM

TheHutts wrote:
I saw that it's Ricky's NR vs Tim's Seps in the final?

Yeah I just saw Deri's post on FB saying that.