RegisterDonateLogin

It was meant to help you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

THE DARK SIDE's Custom Minis! Options
Darth Chaos
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:12:23 PM
Groups: Member

Greetings!

I’m the owner of THE DARK SIDE, a game/comic store in Sarasota, FL, where we play Star Wars Miniatures every Thursday night at 7pm. It’s a favorite here at the store, so we try to promote it as much as possible.

Everyone here knows that whenever a set comes out, there are always a few characters whose stat cards could stand some improvement. We recreate those cards with stats we think more appropriate to the characters. For example, our Darth Sidious, Hologram counts as a droid and has Affinity with the Separatist faction.

We also make cards for characters we want to see in the game. To this end, we generally find a Star Wars mini already in use that matches very closely the character in question. For example, our Revanchist simply reuses the Darth Revan mini, and our Atris uses the Jedi Guardian mini.

On rare occasions, we have modified and/or created minis for our purposes. For example, our Ben Skywalker uses either the Luke Skywalker, Jedi or the Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight mini - paint his hair to match Mara Jade and you’re done. Our A’Sharad Hett, Tusken Warlord requires a bit more work done to a Tusken Raider, as you can see below.

We print the cards and make the figures, then we give them awayto anyone who comes in to play. We do this for three reasons:

1. It wouldn’t be fair if we’re playing custom cards/minis and you’re not.
2. Charging takes the fun out of it and might engender legal issues.
3. It promotes the game!

We put a lot of effort into the stats we assign to each character. We try to match the character’s abilities to a specific point in his/her fictional life. Most often we try to use powers and abilities already in use, but once in a while we get creative, though we try to keep the wording as clear and concise as possible. Above all we keep game balance at the front of the stats – the idea isn’t to build a beat stick! We welcome any comments of suggestions.

At the moment we’re working on upwards of 40 figures. Most are our own, but we’ve used some of the figures Shinja created in his Jedi Civil War set posted here on Bloomilk.com. We placed a glass with blue milk in it at the bottom of those cards. In a future post I’ll provide a list of the characters in our queue.

Anyway, I’ve attached PDFs with our custom cards divided into groups. They’re aligned for easy printing, with bleed and guidelines to make cutting them as straight as possible. We suggest you print them on heavy cover stock paper with a laser quality printer.

The first set is A'sharad Hett - Tusken Warlord, Ben Skywalker, Alek, The Revanchist, Darth Sion, and Darth Sidious - Hologram.

Group 1 Back

Group 1 Front

The second set is Brianna, Mical, Jedi Exile, Grand Master Yoda, General Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Luke Skywalker - Jedi Master.

Group 2 Back

Group 2 Front

This set includes Darth Maul - Sith Assassin, Darth Nihil, Darth Nihilus - Lord of Hunger, Anakin Skywalker - Republic Hero, Anakin Solo, and Darth Maul - Sith Infiltrator.

Group 3 Back

Group 3 Front

Here's our salute to Mandalorians and Republic Commandos. Included are Kal Skirata - Mandalorian Commando, Walon Vau - Mandalorian Commando, and Delta Squad.

Group 4 Back

Group 4 Front

In this next group, we've got a R2-D2/C-3P0 and a Chewbacca which are "fixed" so they have Affinity with New Republic squads. Also included are Republic Commando Omega Squad cards.

Group 5 Back

Group 5 Front

The following group consists of Etain Tur-Mukan, Bardan Jusik - Rogue Jedi, Tekli - Jedi Knight, ARC Trooper, ARC Trooper Sniper, and Atris - Fallen Jedi.

Group 6 Back

Group 6 Front

The following group consists of Dankin - Ysalamir Handler, Winter, Darth Maleval, Ko Sai, the Jedi Holocron, and the Sith Holocron.

Group 7 Back

Group 7 Front

Here are Freedon Nadd - Sith Spirit, Joruus C'boath, Master Thon, Darth Wyyrlok, Mace Windu - Jedi General, and Darth Bandon.

Group 8 Back

Group 8 Front

Here are the final cards for the Luke Project. What is the Luke Project? The Dark Side crew decided to adjust WotC's Luke Skywalker cards so the stats and abilities more accurately reflected the character as he progressed chronologically through the movies and EU. Luke's Snowspeeder, Luke and Yoda, Grandmaster Luke, and Luke Force Spirit were not re-done because we felt they were already pretty good, and thus served as guideposts for our costing/stat modifications.

Luke Project Part I Back

Luke Project Part I Front

Luke Project Part II Back

Luke Project Part II Front

Have fun and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Darth Chaos

(Special thanks to Ryan Miller, Devin Early, and Brian Cloutier for all their hard work!)

Warlord_Hett
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:16:21 PM

Woot loving the a'sharad! then again, i'd love any miniature of himThumbsUp (unless they made it terrible, then i'd despise them for all eternityAngry )
Darth Chaos
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:30:38 PM

He's so good. We've play tested him with Moff Calixte, Thrawn, some Tusken Scouts, and a few Tusken Raiders. Nasty. REALLY nasty.
Warlord_Hett
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:37:17 PM

could also be fun turning him into a Bomb with nom anor.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:56:59 PM

I was!(the day it was posted)
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:50:22 AM

I really like you idea, me and my friends are trying it out(only on a smaller scale)
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 2:49:25 PM

We play tested the new GMY card in group 2 and found it a bit overpowered. We're lowering his Force Renewel to 1. New card should be up Wednesday.

Any other suggestions?
Flail
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:17:15 PM

We're lowering his Force Renewel to 1. New card should be up Wednesday.

I guess I know what I'll be doing Wednesday evening...Tongue
Do I still get a copy of the Renewal 2 GMY? I think I need all the handicap I can get.
Doogle126
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:39:51 PM

def 20, force influence costs 2
trick624
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:32:49 AM

I know you give away the customs to people who come play, but how much would you charge for somebody to purchase them who lives across the country?
Darth Chaos
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:26:58 AM

trick624 wrote:
I know you give away the customs to people who come play, but how much would you charge for somebody to purchase them who lives across the country?

I've actually been considering that recently. We've started casting our modded figs to make multiple copies for players who visit the store. I wouldn't want to charge much more than the cost of the materials and shipping. Of course, I could always use extra figs for mods, so maybe a trade...I dunno. I'll post something about it once I've figured it out.
trick624
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:52:37 AM

please keep me updated on this status!
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 1:22:20 PM

We adjusted the Darth Maul - Sith Assassin so he only has Double Attack instead of Triple and reduced the cost. Whorm Loathsome made the previous version too broken.
EvilYeti
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:35:34 AM

Bump
trick624
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 3:32:24 PM

any word on selling yet?
Darth Chaos
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:05:37 AM

Here's our Brianna mod. We used an Echani Handmaiden. We cut off her guns and replaced them with the blades from the Dark Side Enforcer. If you do this mod, do not throw away the enforcer, as we use the head for another of our mods, which we'll show you soon.

Tekli, Jedi Knight. We took a Chadrafan Pickpocket, cut off his knife, turned the hand around, and attached a green lightsaber blade (either from a hard plastic rod or from a Jedi Youngling). A quick paintjob and you're done!
trick624
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:43:17 PM

nice!
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 6:07:15 PM

We've adjusted the cost on the Revanchist from 62 to 68 points. Based on play-testing, 62 was too aggressive a cost.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:47:04 PM

Group 8 is posted.
Azman
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 8:46:13 PM

Love Tekli.

I will steal your idea for my customs box.