RegisterDonate Login

Showing 1 - 50 of 39,629 Comments12345...793Next
jen'ari
11/16/2018 11:40:52 AM

They hunt the meet.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/16/2018 3:30:57 AM

You've still got 6 pts left. (Han and Chewie both have rapport 5.) You could add one of the new 6pt pilots with Satchel Charge. Also, no BB-8? BB8 is usually considered one of the best Resistance characters.
Deaths_Baine
11/15/2018 9:02:22 PM

Where's the meat?
jen'ari
11/15/2018 2:23:37 AM (Updated: 11/15/2018 2:24:05 AM)

I would at least turn some of those uggies and mice into rodian brutes so I could use the extra attack rating with momentum.
Deaths_Baine
11/13/2018 3:52:49 PM

^^^hahahaha its bloomilk we stepped through years ago man.
juice man
11/13/2018 3:33:37 PM

While reading this, I feel like I've stepped through.
juice man
11/13/2018 3:31:25 PM

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean-neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master-that's all." LEWIS CARROLL
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/13/2018 6:28:20 AM (Updated: 11/13/2018 6:38:35 AM)

Additionally, even using your definition, not all of Legends necessarily qualifies a fanfiction. Fanfiction is always written by fans- what does that make Legends books, comics and games that were made by people who were not fans of Star Wars, and were simply professional authors/ illustrators etc trying to make some money? It can't be fanfiction if it's not made by a fan. So the blanket statement "Legends is fanfiction" is not true even if your definition of fanfiction is the "correct" one.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/13/2018 6:23:49 AM

In the case of Legends and canon, they have both been authorised by Lucasfilm as legitimate (and separate) continuations of the saga. So while they mostly meet the other requirements for being fanfiction, neither of them is fanfiction.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/13/2018 6:23:44 AM

I'm trying hard to see your point here. Legends is non-canonical fanfiction, by the definitions you have posted- that's true. (Incidentally, by the definitions you have posted, the new canon is "canonical fanfiction".) However, I think those definitions are overly simplistic. They fail to recognise another important aspect of fanfiction- fanfics are not official and are not licensed by the copyright holders/ original creator.
11/13/2018 5:42:17 AM

The Defense rests its case... Again. Legends is Non canonical fanfiction. Unless we want to create new terms for the dictionary. Or were you just using your own made up definitions to put Legends into what you wanted... Hmmm
11/13/2018 5:41:10 AM

So when I am saying something is fanfiction, it falls under the definition of the word, fanfiction. As well as the definition of non canonical. When you say something is non canon.... What definition are you referring to? So when you say I made up a definition... Did you actually mean you didn't know the definition of the words I was using? If not, I copy and pasted them for you for easy reference.
11/13/2018 5:38:06 AM

fanfiction - fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, etc
11/13/2018 5:37:33 AM

Noncanonical - not relating to, part of, or sanctioned by a canon : not canonical
11/13/2018 5:36:46 AM

Non-Canon - The term does not exist in the dictionary
11/13/2018 5:36:29 AM

Canon - a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged. ; a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine.
theConsortium
11/13/2018 4:15:49 AM

Hmm... The definition you provided lacks an important distinction. All fanfiction is non-canon. But not all non-canon material is fanfiction. They aren't interchangeable terms, as non-canon is a fairly broad umbrella that includes official and unofficial, published and unpublished, licensed and unlicensed. Fanfiction is clearly unofficial, unlicensed and even unpublished. The three are clearly different tiers: 1. Canon 2. Legends 3. Fanfiction.
11/13/2018 4:01:27 AM

And for the record, there are plenty of EU stuff I love. But the legacy of the Jedi, the new Jedi order, and a few others, are just pure garbage. Especially!!! Anything dealing with the vo g race. I support Disney for getting rid of that abomination. Even if it means getting rid of the things I liked about it. Well with it!
11/13/2018 3:59:31 AM

My definition... Is if it's not canon it's not canon. And if it's not canon. It's fan fiction. Pretty simple imo. Doesn't seem made up, or directed at the EU specifically. Just so happens the EU ( non canon material) falls under my definition.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/13/2018 3:13:05 AM

Shmi, it sounds like you just made up a definition of fanfiction that includes all of the EU and excludes all of Disney, in an attempt to denigrate the EU and imply that it is worse than canon, as a mere "fanfiction". What if Disney licensed new Infinities works that were explicitly not canon (but not part of the EU)? Would those professionally written, LFL-authorised books be fanfiction as well, or would your definition change?
jen'ari
11/13/2018 3:07:47 AM

I would agree it is not fanfiction. It is Fiction that has been left behind. It is Woody when Buzz arived. Or better yet. It is Napolean once exiled. Still called the Emperor by many, but held no power while being cast to the Isle of St. Helena.
theConsortium
11/13/2018 2:32:06 AM

Since I'm rambling on, I might as well come full circle. That definition of fanfiction might be a bit broad, don't you think? I tend to think of fanfiction as unofficial, unlicensed works created by fans. Otherwise, "fanfiction" could include a videogame published by Lucasarts.
theConsortium
11/13/2018 2:15:24 AM

Objectively speaking, Rey is a textbook Mary Sue. If you still like Rey, or if you enjoy the Star Wars universe more because of her, then more power to you. I don't know much about Jaina, so I suppose her case is for others to judge.
theConsortium
11/13/2018 2:12:09 AM

Removing my satirical hat for a moment. Putting on my debate hat. Discussions like these run into "the problem of interminability," wherein the participants differ on fundamental assumptions that can't be directly refuted (i.e. "I think Rey is cool" and "I think Rey sucks"). Neither side will be able to persuade the other because logical reasoning is subverted by emotional valence. Thus, to paraphrase Hume, reason is made the slave of the passions. We use reason to craft arguments that support our chosen viewpoint, not to guide us toward the correct one.
11/13/2018 2:06:21 AM

My definition of fan fiction. Is stories written by people that are not canon. Is legends Canon? No... The defense now rests.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/13/2018 1:17:57 AM

That's not how fan fiction works, shmi. It's not fan fiction if it was authorized by the copyright holders when it was written. If we were talking about a broader definition of fan fiction, i.e. fiction about characters or settings from an original work of fiction, created by fans of that work rather than by its creator, Disney Star Wars would be fan fiction too. Or are the people making it not fans?
CorellianComedian
11/13/2018 1:11:00 AM

I hesitate to actually enter the debate, but may I remind all of us that the central theme of Star Wars is a small group of freedom fighters combating the oppressive overlords who are dictating existence. The "fan who wrote a book" is representative of just about every heroic character in Star Wars.
11/13/2018 12:56:41 AM

Thank you Jen! That's what I'm saying! And all legends is fan fiction now :) you can deny it, but it's true. You either love in Disney's world, or some fan who wrote a book
jen'ari
11/13/2018 12:22:28 AM (Updated: 11/13/2018 12:23:29 AM)

I think you guys are forgetting. Rey is her last name, her first name is Mary Sue.... Rey would win. Jaina would pull some speed feats and pull out some disgusting fighting moves taught to her by none other Mara Jade, Boba Fett, or Kyp Durron.... but Rey would close her eyes, breathe deeply, and say "the force" and then her eyes would open blue and she will be in the Avatar State and kick Jaina's butt. She can barely take on 1 Praetorian guard, but... somehow she would beat Jaina, its only her nature as a Mary Sue
Deaths_Baine
11/12/2018 11:24:15 PM

Rey would get destroyed by jaina holy crap would it be a slaughter... like duke ice kentucky bad
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/12/2018 11:04:45 PM

Uh, the Expanded Universe is not a fan fiction. To say that would be to imply that it was not recognised and authorised by Lucasfilm, which is untrue. Jaina is one of the pre-eminent duelists the the galaxy- the Sword of the Jedi- and is an experienced Force-user. Rey is, as far as she has been developed, a mostly untrained Jedi with a certain amount of natural skill with the Force and a lightsaber. There would be no contest. Jaina is also a far better character, but that's mostly because she's had a lot of time and books to develop in. :)
11/12/2018 10:39:53 PM

Jaina is a terrible character from a fan fiction. And Rey would destroy her :)
Oakel
11/12/2018 9:13:00 PM

Good point. Forgot that Tarpals gave Evazan that. Looks solid now.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
11/12/2018 9:07:31 PM

That's a good idea. I think I'd rather drop Qui-Gon FS instead, though- all he's doing is giving Renewal to Dooku, and I probably won't get to use POTDS more than 5 times. Evazan is really very good with Tarpals, with the option of either 60 auto damage or healing 60 damage.
Oakel
11/12/2018 8:42:00 PM (Updated: 11/12/2018 8:42:44 PM)

Great squad idea! Out of curiosity, why not bring in Queen Amidala instead of Evezan and be able to have Sifo-Dyas bring in 3 Flametroopers and give all the flametroopers mobile?
kiki
11/12/2018 7:31:35 AM

Some awful character from an awful fan-fiction.
theConsortium
11/12/2018 7:10:39 AM

Couldn't believe the squad name. Rey is obviously the coolest, most powerful character in all Star Wars. And are we comparing Rey to Luke? Come on. We all know that if Rey had starred in Empire Strikes Back instead of Luke, she would have beaten Darth Vader in Cloud City. Yoda would have let her go, too. He'd be like, "Worried, should I be? Nah. Girl, got this, you do." Afterwards, Rey probably would have given Yoda some lessons on the Force. So, obviously Rey is cooler than Luke, who she knocked on his back in seconds. Also, who's Jaina?
Deaths_Baine
11/12/2018 4:41:24 AM

We are comparing rey to Jaina fool.
kiki
11/12/2018 4:11:30 AM

Thats before Luke Skywalker had his own character developed, from my standpoint Rey has had little to no character develop between 7 and 8 compared to Luke between 4 and 5.
shmi15
11/12/2018 4:05:26 AM (Updated: 11/12/2018 4:08:49 AM)

" I was gonna go the Toschie station and pick up some power converters" Luke Skywalker
Deaths_Baine
11/12/2018 2:27:00 AM

Rey: It's a power that Jedi have that lets them control people and... make things float.-------- she actually said this...out loud... pure garbage.
jen'ari
11/11/2018 6:29:02 PM

Had the pleasure of playing this squad again. I love this squad. So much Synergy going on with the Parry, Bodyguard, Absorb energy, evade, Heal, Wrist Cable, Heal 20 is huge, and being able to move away to auto drop 90 is amazing. very powerful with 2 really good GMA shooters.
Deaths_Baine
11/11/2018 5:26:44 PM

Rey is pure garbage
jen'ari
11/11/2018 4:24:33 PM

ummmm. no one thinks Rey sucks in terms in power..... she is way more powerful then Luke was at this point in her training. Heck Luke was trained by Yoda on Dagobah and could barely lift rocks. Rey lifts dozens of boulders.. Rey fought an apprentice in Kylo and beat him having never touched a saber before, Luke was getting hit by training droids 5 year old younglings mastered....
11/11/2018 3:31:17 PM

Rey doesn't suck! Your judgement is just skewed because the Legends stories made EVERYONE so powerful. " Oh your a Skywalker? Move a planet." Oh Your a Skywalker, walk on water." Rey is so much like Luke in the films, its almost identical. Yet... We all love Luke.
Deaths_Baine
11/11/2018 3:28:11 PM

Lol....
jen'ari
11/11/2018 1:54:09 AM (Updated: 11/11/2018 2:00:25 AM)

Rey: Han, I want you to be my father. NOOO your dead. Luke I want you to be my father. NOOO your dead too..... Finn: "I will not be your father, but you can call me daddy" #paintingitblack
Deaths_Baine
11/11/2018 1:16:48 AM

Without a doubt...Rey sucks
Deaths_Baine
11/11/2018 1:16:23 AM

And I want to paint them black
CorellianComedian
11/10/2018 12:21:32 AM

Nice squad! I wasn't totally sold on the new Revan at first, but I'm coming around a little. I really like squads like this where you just pile in a bunch of solid Jedi. Also nice how Jaq also gets Quick Strike so he can body slam somebody if push comes to shove.
Showing 1 - 50 of 39,629 Comments12345...793Next