RegisterDonateLogin

This party's over.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What should I do to fix the Squad Ratings issues? Options
shinja
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:37:11 AM
Groups: Administration

LoboStele wrote:
I think the best solution is to crack down on 'sock' accounts. Require an email to sign-up an account. Your Admin control section should allow you to see when people are using multiple accounts from the same IP address. Granted, there are some times where you might have two people who live at the same address, but want different accounts, so may need to be careful about just out-right banning people when things like that happen.

But it should be pretty easy to determine if multiple 1 ratings are all coming from similar IP addresses, which I suspect they are.

The next option: non-anonymous ratings. I know there is concern that it could cause problems between people, but if you rate a squad, and then leave an honest comment about it, then it shouldn't be a problem. The only people who will get all bent out of shape with a system like that is the ones who wanted to abuse the current system anyway, and can't handle the fact that they might be held accountable for how they treat other people (or their squads).

Personally, if I ran a site like this and found people were voting 1's a lot on stuff...I'd probably out-right ban them, and then ban their IP as well. Obviously, give them some sort of warning first (reset/erase all their ratings and squads maybe), but if they don't fall into line, then off they go.

There is already a vaild e-mail required for sign-up. But I'm 99% sure that people are creating new e-mail addresses (at Yahoo or wherever) just to create new Bloo Milk accounts (why anyone would go through the trouble is beyond me). And you hit on the problem with only allowing one account per IP address: multiple users at the same house.

I think the best way to deal with "sock" accounts is going to be something like what Engineer mentioned on the first page of this thread--users aren't allowed to rate squads until some criteria is met (either a certain length of time, or a certain number of squads created and made public, or something like that). It's still possible to get around it, but it adds another level of time-consuming annoyance to people trying to abuse the system. Of course, it's also a potential annoyance for all new members...
markedman247
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:13:08 AM
Groups: Member

So as an adjunct to the problem at hand, will there be an option for Squad Creators to reset ratings? This would be an all or nothing deal so that you won't just remove the negative ratings. But, this could help with changing the ratings to reflect the change in squads (new pieces, changes in philosophy, etc.).
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:54:19 AM

how many vote's do you need to get a squad in the top 5? because it was 10
so i get over ten vote's on my squad and i say "yay, let's see where we are in
the top 5" and i look and say "oh, we're no where in the top 5, even though my
squad is rated higher than some others" so now i'm confused and the tiniest bit
angry becuase i don't get it, HOW MANY VOTE'S DOES IT TAKE TO GET IN THE
TOP 5!?! Cursing
DarthJak
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:24:46 AM

It's an ancient Chinese secretSad
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:19:36 AM

Well, Shinja, you have done an excellent job hurting the ability of the toolboxes to obstruct the rating process thus far, so I commend you!

But now it seems, the changes had brought a new version of hate.

I seem to have an enemy here. For the last week or so, within just a few minutes of posting a new squad, it will receive a rating of 2-3 from someone, and no comment left. Any chance you can look up who has been rating my last couple of squads and see if I am correct that it is in fact, on person abusing it?

Personally, it doesn't bother me a whole lot, because I don't put a lot of stock in rankings anyways. But if I am correct, its one person who we can probably easily identify who should have their account banned. And they likely might be doing this to others as well, and if not now, will in the future. I've noted that they are not rating me with 1s, so it seems like its got to be someone who has been paying attention to the conversation here, and is trying to not get caught.

Thanks man.
Bill
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:23:26 AM

Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force wrote:
how many vote's do you need to get a squad in the top 5? because it was 10
so i get over ten vote's on my squad and i say "yay, let's see where we are in
the top 5" and i look and say "oh, we're no where in the top 5, even though my
squad is rated higher than some others" so now i'm confused and the tiniest bit
angry becuase i don't get it, HOW MANY VOTE'S DOES IT TAKE TO GET IN THE
TOP 5!?! Cursing

There are two different numbers. For the top 5 list that shows up when you are in the My Squads section, then it is now 50 votes.

But when you click on Squad Ratings, its 10 votes. It seems to be working pretty well. Something with 50 tends to be a good squad, and its hard at that point for a few smurfs to hurt it. See Speedy Cannon and its 29 1 votes :)

But since its only 10 to make the top list on the other page, we can all go see what is "up and coming" and rate them. It will only get better with time. The biggest issue still facing us is the affect a quick 1-3 can have on a squad, but that's a minor problem. If we as a community are diligent in rating squads as much as possible, and accurately, we can affectively combat the jerks who need to get out of their mother's basement for a while.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:23:34 AM

I've heard about similar problems myself (although it hasn't happened to me yet): one or two vengeful people run up to your squads and paste them with crappy ratings, but then rate their friends' squad highly so it won't be shown in their averages.
homer_sapien
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 8:13:27 AM

billiv15 wrote:

There are two different numbers. For the top 5 list that shows up when you are in the My Squads section, then it is now 50 votes.

I guess i have a ways to go. My most rated squad is only up to 27 (I think) ratings so far.
swmimperial130
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 1:40:22 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Anonymous user? (no user posted w/ squad)
might help reduce "hate voting"

I think the name of the person who voted would be good. Also, if it showed how long the person was on a page, if they wanted to kill your squad rating. For instance, someone looks at your squad for three minutes and gives it a 4, then it would be o.k.Meh ,ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown but someone who looks at it for two seconds and gives it a two would be known as a squad killer.ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:46:54 AM

I believe that in order to prevent people from giving unnecessary 1's by excessive trolling... and I have thought about this very deeply... is by doing something like:

-You see a squad and on the right you see where you can click any number from 1-10 to rate
-If someone clicks 1-5 for the rating, a message would pop-up and tell you "explain your reason" with a comment box along with the rate score chosen (the rate number is selectable in that pop-up, so if the person clicks 1 by accident and decides to click a 7 or higher than 6, the pop-up comment box would disappear and the rating is posted without necessary explanation). A comment box would have a set amount of characters that is required for you to write the reason, to prevent limited response by writing 1 letter without understanding the reason behind it.
-The comment box would disappear as you click Enter and recorded as squad comments to the squad that made the rating.
-I notice that the comment is deletable, so if the person who posted a bad rating on a squad where to delete that comment, which was required to be posted... then by deleting the comment, you'd delete the rating that you posted originally

I thought long and hard about this and I think if you Shinja can create such a small program, it would solve the rate-killers motive.
kenred2
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:46:33 PM

WELL?!! What do you think? I would appreciate if anyone respond rather than to ignore a good idea!
Opan Windu
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 12:51:24 AM

Seeing how everybody cries if they get a six or less why not change from a 1-10 to a 5-10 rating system and force people to leave comments so all our squads will have references to our fat mothers or just a long line of dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd's or something like that and make sure that the comment leavers name is there so i can retaliate. THAT WOULD FIX EVERYTHING!!!!Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Just kidding but seriously get over it no system is perfect and i also have almost seventy one's on my public squads some of them only .5 away from top five oh well.ThumpUp
kenred2
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 1:48:29 AM

Opan Windu wrote:
Seeing how everybody cries if they get a six or less why not change from a 1-10 to a 5-10 rating system and force people to leave comments so all our squads will have references to our fat mothers or just a long line of dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd's or something like that and make sure that the comment leavers name is there so i can retaliate. THAT WOULD FIX EVERYTHING!!!!Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Just kidding but seriously get over it no system is perfect and i also have almost seventy one's on my public squads some of them only .5 away from top five oh well.ThumpUp

Look, people here complain that the "squad rating is a joke" and I thought of a solution to try and prevent that. At least I put an effort in hopes that my idea can be the solution! You think I write here to waste my time and complain why my squad is a 1?! No, I write to make sure that people can understand why they get a 1, and comments are good to understand and improve your squad. If you found a troller (writing a gibberish comment like all numbers, when rating less than 5), you can report that person to have them banned. It's as easy as that.

Shinja.... at least pm me if you think my idea is good or not, it's been several days and you have not responded. I'm starting to get the idea that you do not consider my idea to be worth anything, so this is perhaps my last time posting any effort for this site, since nobody here takes my ideas seriously.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 2:31:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Honestly, requiring a comment from only a certain rating is unfair. Either everyone should be forced to comment (including the squad poster), or leave it optional. And it will foster revenge ratings (we already have one feud going on, when comment aren't necessary). People can get really pissy when their creation is criticized, even if the criticisms are fair. I mean, WOTC has a ton of examples of this. It leads to another form of anger, imo.
kenred2
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 2:56:22 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Honestly, requiring a comment from only a certain rating is unfair. Either everyone should be forced to comment (including the squad poster), or leave it optional. And it will foster revenge ratings (we already have one feud going on, when comment aren't necessary). People can get really pissy when their creation is criticized, even if the criticisms are fair. I mean, WOTC has a ton of examples of this. It leads to another form of anger, imo.

How does it justify a form of anger from an honest criticism?? It's better than those that troll and leave less than 5 ratings without an explanation and that WON'T be fair. Leaving a comment because you or whoever leaves less than 5 rating is reasonable... you really have to look at the big picture to understand that comments are welcomed, not hide and troll to leave unnecessary rating.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:15:52 AM

Sithborg wrote:
(we already have one feud going on, when comment aren't necessary). People can get really pissy when their creation is criticized, even if the criticisms are fair. I mean, WOTC has a ton of examples of this. It leads to another form of anger, imo.

I don't know if you are referring to Mercenary Moose and myself, or some other situation, but that one should be an obvious point in this discussion about comments anyways. You can't just go around making accusatory and inflammatory comments about someone else. I asked him to remove it in private and waited a week. He logged on multiple times, refused to PM me in return, and refused to remove the comment. Therefore, I simply applied his logic to all of his posted squads. If it was something that I have seen posted before, it received a 1, because clearly he must have stolen it. That's the logic he has accused me of, so therefore it is only fair that it be applied to him as well.

And personally, I really don't care one way or the other about the "revenge" rating issue. I already have multiple trollers who hit all of my squads with low numbers. In the past few weeks, all of my posts receive 5-6 votes within a day, all 1-3 and no comments left. Some of them even have 7-8 of those in that time frame.

Honestly, having thought about this a lot, there is only one solution. All ratings go public. I know Shinja, you don't want to do that, but unless you have a way of dealing with this otherwise, its going to continue to make people mad, and people will stop using the site (not me, others). I don't think it makes the problems worse, and at the very least, people who are honestly giving low ratings will comment why, because they will not want to be classified a troller.

Revenge ratings are already a major issue on here, I actually think it lessens when its public knowledge. There is nothing more powerful than the power of public knowledge. Right now, people are hiding in annominity and simply working to avoid one person's watchful eye. Trust the community with that power instead of only Shinja, and see if they stick around when everyone knows what they are doing. I think it will level off the issues given enough time. I actually think the "fear of revenge ratings" will be enough to stop most people from doing it at all. And when you see those "dummy" accounts, it ought to be real easy to identify them, and we can even create a thread to identify them for you.

For example, one day, my squads get 10 1s from the same guy who has 5 squads posted. He doesn't post, and his rating history is suspect. I post him in the "Suspected trolling" thread and we wait a week. If he does not respond, or whatever, his account is suspended for a week and all ratings are temporarily removed permanently. If caught again, his account is permanently banned. I think the odds of an honest rater posting to prevent being banned in that new thread are very high, especially if you make it an official rule, and post it both as a new account "read me" and on the main page.
Zalkrie
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:17:06 AM

kenred2 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

How does it justify a form of anger from an honest criticism?? It's better than those that troll and leave less than 5 ratings without an explanation and that WON'T be fair. Leaving a comment because you or whoever leaves less than 5 rating is reasonable... you really have to look at the big picture to understand that comments are welcomed, not hide and troll to leave unnecessary rating.

It does not justify any kind of anger. That is not what Sithborg was saying. We are dealing with a lot of people who are not adults, at least emotionally, and they can not handle being criticized.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:46:01 AM

How about resetting the squad ratings and starting over from scratch. Assign a squad rating group where you must apply to it with a criteria set on who can join it. Something along the lines of a veteran member of this community and a history of making good squads. shinja owns the forum so he should have the final say on who is put into this group.

Once this group is formed they can take the task of setting criteria on how a squad is rated. Unless a uniform way of rating is set then an arbitrary number is going to be added by each person rating based on their opinion. But if you set standards based upon elements needed in a squad then you can establish a formula of rating. having a set method of rating will lead to a uniform rating system that is easy to compare squads.

Once they have the basics of ratings down then they can start the arduous process of rerating all the current squads. It might take some time to get them all done but once the system is caught up then it is just a matter of keeping up. Each rating should not be able to be put in unless a comment goes along with it. If unsatisfactory comments are placed then a mod deletes the rating along with the comment. Such a comment might be a spam of letters.

As was said earlier, no system is perfect. However, you must try to establish a good system at the start or you will only lead down a path of problems.
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:05:24 AM

Have you seen how many new squads get posted on here every day? Trying to assign a select group of people to review and rate those squads would be absolutely insane. And then, instead of the current predicament, we'd have threads and PMs with people fussing about why their squads haven't been rated yet.

Not to mention the fact that you would still run into issues where someone gets a lower rating than they wanted and they start crying that the 'Ratings Team' is biased or something. And heaven forbid you actually DO end up with some sort of bias in that group. Yikes.

And kenred...geeez man, have some patience. Not EVERY post on the forums has to be responded to. And just because nobody responded right away, doesn't mean everyone thinks it's a bad idea. To top it off, this thread has been going on for a while, so a lot of people may have started to get tired of it, and weren't checking it regularly. Heck, if people stopped posting because nobody responded, then you'd have a LOT less posters on forums in general.
shinja
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:28:52 AM
Groups: Administration

I'm overworked with the site enough as it is. I'm not looking forward to a torrent of "Ban this user because he or she rated my squad badly!" PMs if I make the ratings public.

The squad ratings issue is on the back burner for me now. That's why I un-stickied this thread, and stopped reading it every day (sorry Kenred). People have lots of good ideas, but I'm working on some major infrastructure changes to the site first (behind the scenes stuff), then I'll come back to this.