RegisterDonateLogin

Affinity: Your squad may contain Bloo Milk, regardless of faction.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

News Options
gold34
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:38:16 PM
Groups: Member

My LGS owner told me last night that NECA/WizKids Games acquired the license for Star Wars collectible games.

The information was revealed at a recent luncheon where the company invited dealers, store owners, etc.

The only details given were: (a) there are no plans to make collectible card games - like the old CCG's of the past - and (b) the company hasn't figured out what to do with the license yet.

It seems to be official, although there's nothing SW.com or NECAonine.com.
Darth O
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:41:44 PM

It should be interesting what they do with it.....
CerousMutor
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:45:31 PM

I'm pleased we now have info.
I'm tired of all this 'need to know' stuff!
Disturbed1
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 12:59:46 AM

Not to insinuate your lgs owner is lying or anything, but I think I'll believe it when I see a press release or something along those lines.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 1:10:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Odd, because that isn't what I have heard. We will see.
jedispyder
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 1:59:05 AM

I was wondering if maybe he got the Star Wars CMG confused with the Star Wars TCG, which is what WizKidz produced in the form of Star Wars Pocketmodels. It's possible that NECA got the license to produce that game again.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:15:43 AM

jedispyder wrote:
I was wondering if maybe he got the Star Wars CMG confused with the Star Wars TCG, which is what WizKidz produced in the form of Star Wars Pocketmodels. It's possible that NECA got the license to produce that game again.

That makes the most sense to me.
joebecker_37
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:21:25 AM

I believe boris said something to the effect that it was not wizkids...if you deem him trustworthy. I Do.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:37:47 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I believe Gold34 is telling us what he's heard. I've no reason to believe he's any more or less trustworthy than boris. As others have said, any information is simply hearsay until there is an official announcement of some kind. Doesn't hurt anyone if you post what you've heard from what you believe to be a reliable source, thanks for the info Gold!
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:48:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

(I'm being careful just in case...)

I was told that a company (from the country that defeated Hitler on the eastern front in WW-II) picked up the miniatures license (don't recall about the RPG, though the two may well be bundled together).

I prefer not to namedrop, so I'll just say that I heard it from a person who was very involved with organized play prior to Dean stepping in. Wink

I also heard some related info that made me Sad for what might have been, but it is pointless to discuss that, so I'll just keep up hope that this company will do something good with the license. BlooMilk
ChuckaFett
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:55:30 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Cool, I love internet rumors!
gold34
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 4:42:34 AM

I don't pretend that my rumor is more accurate than anyone else's, but my LGS owner is pretty well-connected in the industry, so I usually lend credence to her comments.

I also agree that I'll believe it when I see it.

With respect to WizKids and PocketModels, I think NECA acquired PocketModels from Topps, could still sell the game, but has chosen not to produce more for the game. They're still sending product to Exell for sale at Target, so...

I'm sure we'll see something soon.
joebecker_37
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 4:53:05 AM

gold34, i dont mean to imply that either and want no ill will there. I was simply stating what i had heard on another forum. I know none of this first hand.
Personally, i would not mind if a 'clix SW game was made so i could see vader cut down batman.
Greybird
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:23:03 AM

Could he have been mistakenly referring to the upcoming NECA/Wizkids' Star Trek games using miniatures? That sounds far more likely, although more SWM sculpts through WK would indeed be cool.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:36:04 AM

swinefeld wrote:

I was told that a company (from the country that defeated Hitler on the eastern front in WW-II) picked up the miniatures license (don't recall about the RPG, though the two may well be bundled together).

I prefer not to namedrop, so I'll just say that I heard it from a person who was very involved with organized play prior to Dean stepping in. Wink

I also heard some related info that made me Sad for what might have been, but it is pointless to discuss that, so I'll just keep up hope that this company will do something good with the license. BlooMilk

That was because there was a Russian businessman at a con (can't remember if it was GenCon or Celebration V) who claimed to have bought the license. I don't doubt the word of the guy who said he heard it (can't remember his name either, but it was talked about on D20 radio), but the truthfulness of the Russian's claim is what I would question.

As for the possibility of Wizkids getting the license....I'm not looking forward to StarWarsClix.
Greybird
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:53:08 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

That was because there was a Russian businessman at a con (can't remember if it was GenCon or Celebration V) who claimed to have bought the license. I don't doubt the word of the guy who said he heard it (can't remember his name either, but it was talked about on D20 radio), but the truthfulness of the Russian's claim is what I would question.

As for the possibility of Wizkids getting the license....I'm not looking forward to StarWarsClix.

BigGrin You wouldn't have to think of it as Star Wars Clix. You could instead think of it as a delightful new source of prepainted SW miniatures for Gamers to base future V-sets on. Love I really, really wish that Wizkids were the ones to nab the license. Crying
Jedi Christian
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:05:46 PM

Greybird wrote:
LeftiesWillRule wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

BigGrin You wouldn't have to think of it as Star Wars Clix. You could instead think of it as a delightful new source of prepainted SW miniatures for Gamers to base future V-sets on. Love I really, really wish that Wizkids were the ones to nab the license. Crying

I can agree. Clix have been close to size. Although I think they are a little big sometimes. But, then again SWM have ranged in different sizes from time to time.
Doogle126
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:14:28 PM

unfortunately, wizkids isnt doing to well with the sculpts. i hope we dont get minis that look like the promo thor
joelker41
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:17:39 PM

Doogle126 wrote:
unfortunately, wizkids isnt doing to well with the sculpts. i hope we dont get minis that look like the promo thor

The new Wizkids sculpts are amazing so I don't think you have looked at the ones post Hammer of Thor lol. They look better than they ever have now.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:59:12 AM

jedispyder wrote:

I would love it either way! I love SWPockedmodels, and they are getting harder to track down.