RegisterDonateLogin

More useful than 90% of Rebel Storm.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Origins 2011 Options
eMouse
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:23:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

On my way to Origins this Thursday! Really looking forward to it.

Going to be playing in an Endor mass battle on Friday morning.

Also looking forward to the Cthulhu-themed minis game I'll be playing Thursday, an S.F.3.D-based custom minis game, and a MechWarrior mass battle!

Anyone else going?
stsparks72
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:02:30 PM
Groups: Member

@ eMouse

It was very nice to have you at Origins. I spoke with Bob and he mentioned that you really enjoyed the Battle of Endor. Thanks so much for taking the time to play. We really enjoy hosting the Hoth and Endor scenario's every year. A bit of a spoiler here, but for 2012 we are looking to massively upgrade our Tatooine Meltdown (which was basically following SWM rules) to a full fledged custom scenario similar to Hoth and Endor. The biggest obstacle Bob and I face is transporting all the stuff. As it is right now, other than the driver seat, we pack down two vehicles with props and mini's. So figuring out a way to add Tatooine without increasing the luggage is our biggest concern.

Anyway, thanks for coming and I'm very pleased that you had a great time. Hope to see you next year.

P.S. We will also be at Who's Yer Con in Indianapolis (March 2012). We are also looking at adding a 3rd Con to our schedule, but we are not sure when or where that will be. GenCon 2012 is a possibility, but it's so close to Origins that it's just not a comfortable time gap for us. November or December is a good month for us, but we'll see what happens.

BigGrin
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:31:34 AM

Woot I went on FridayMeh
eMouse
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2011 2:13:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yub yub!
christophercook
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 12:10:25 PM

Hey Stsparks, I am interested in getting the rules that you use for mass battles. I tried to do a Hoth one last winter with 1 ATAT a few ATSTs and others, but the Rebles were overmatched. Could use a little help. You can e-mail me at cookluke5150@roadrunner.com or send me a bloomail at christophercook.

Thank you
Squid89
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:13:11 PM

I haven't had time to prep the pics fully, but here are a couple images from the events - setup right before the carnage. It was great fun running all the events and meeting some good people. Thanks for all the comments, eMouse, and glad you got to play.

Battle of Hoth - the scale is lost in the picture, but the battle grid is about 6'x8' in size.

Battle of Endor

Battle of Tatooine - 5 on 5 (squads aren't out yet in the pic) and then the last ones standing end up in the Cantina (not pictured) for a good old-fashioned bar brawl until only one is standing. This one is still a major work in progress, but the props are pretty much set.

@Christopher - I won't have much internet access time for a couple weeks, but will email you some more info when I get a chance about some of the modifications we've tried for the mass battles. It's not truly SWM in a bigger scale, but modified rules from a variety of different gaming systems. We've tried to make it easy to play with no experience, balanced so any team can win, no ganging up to keep all players active the whole time, and minimal down time so you don't have to sit and wait twenty minutes between actions.

-- Biggest thing is the 'trooper squads' as you see in the pics. Each one has 4 or 9 generic troopers which activate as one (helps speed up the game and eliminate the over-activation imbalance). Each one has the number of HP equal to the number of troopers. Remove one for each damage. The attack value is a multiplier for each surviving trooper (e.g. +2 per trooper for +8 attack when at full health, etc).

-- Other major change is the use of 'phases' instead of regular activate-two-characters rule. For example in Endor, phase on is all ewok and stormtrooper squads. Each team activates all (three total) squads in the phase, then on to the next phase. Victory points are gained by eliminating enemy phases. Most victory points at the end wins.
stsparks72
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:46:44 AM

christophercook wrote:
Hey Stsparks, I am interested in getting the rules that you use for mass battles. I tried to do a Hoth one last winter with 1 ATAT a few ATSTs and others, but the Rebles were overmatched. Could use a little help. You can e-mail me at cookluke5150@roadrunner.com or send me a bloomail at christophercook.

Thank you

E-mail sent. Enjoy!

BigGrin