RegisterDonateLogin

Is worth a lot to me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Possible Annual Regional Style Tournament in October!!! Options
swrogue57
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:48:17 AM
Groups: Member

Hey everyone! We just got back from the NC Regional Tournament this weekend and had lots of fun. However I realized that since I won't be able to make it to Gencon this year, that means its the end of my tournament season. Of course we'll be having our ongoing local tournaments, but I really enjoyed spending time with the guys from all over the east coast and I don't want to wait until next year to see everyone again. So, on the way home, Kris and I talked about hosting an off-season tournament in VA in October. Why October? Well we wanted to give people time to get comfortable with R&R, BoT, and Epic Duos, but not be so late that it interfered with peoples holiday plans.

The entry fee would be $15, just like regionals. Your entry fee would not only pay for the 200pt constructed tournament on Saturday, but also a Friday night Epic Duos Tournament for anyone who is in town Friday night. By making the entry fee $15, we will be able to afford some awesome prizes since there is no Gencon badge up for grabs. If there is enough interest, I can talk to some local hotels to see if we can get a block of rooms at a discounted rate.

If this tournament is a success, I would love to make it an annual event!

Let me know what you guys think, so I know whether or not I should continue planning it!

Thanks,
Roy (drkjedi35 on swmgamers.com)
Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:49:47 AM

I'll be there, for sure! I'm sure I could drag Ted along too. ;-)
swrogue57
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:59:05 AM

Thanks Justin! I was hoping you guys would make it! Lets see who else might be interested.
swrogue57
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 2:56:24 AM

So, other than boosters, what kind of prize support would you guys like to see at this tournament? I have some really great ideas already, but I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 9:27:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Customs are always a great prize, especially with new V-sets coming out in August. I'm definitely for multiple regional tournaments a year. It encourages the community to come together for larger events.

Though I am surprised you are willing to organize another one after running one so recently. lol
swrogue57
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:08:18 AM

Ted - we will definitely be doing more customs for this event. Hopefully more than what we had for regionals. And I don't mind organizing tournaments like this. I actually enjoy it! If this one is a success, I might even try to organize a winter event after the holidays. But I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself. Gotta concentrate on this one first!
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:36:59 AM

I guess Ted doesn't understand the thrill of organizing huge events, lol. While MD Regionals was a lot of work to get together, it was very satisfying work, and I'm sure Roy would say the same for the VA Regional. I'd love to do a big Tournament in MD in the off-season as well, thanks for the idea, Roy!
swrogue57
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:31:39 AM

Organizing these things is fun to me, even though I've already run into a few snags with this one. But, I know once I get past this hurdle, it will be a great event.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 3:04:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Lol. It just takes a lot of time to set up these events, and I don't know about everyone else but I have trouble finding time for those 8 hours of sleep nowadays. Another bummer about organizing events: you cannot play in them! :o

But yeah, let me know if you need any assistance in setting up the event, I'm more than willing to get minis events going. :)
swrogue57
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:28:08 AM

Yes, not playing does suck. But I have a player in our group who doesn't like playing in these big tournaments. So he will probably be the judge.
Jester007
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 9:58:11 AM

I'll just throw some ideas out for prize support:

- Gentle Giant or Side Show figurines/mini busts
- Novels
- Autographed Cards (namely Shannon McCrandle aka Mara Jade)
- T-shirts
- Star Wars head phones
- Paintings and/or Sketches

That's about all I could think of in a split second. I'll let you know if anything devious pops in me head.

Sincerely,
Jester007
swrogue57
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:38:05 AM

Prize support is now heavily dependent on where we end up having the tournament(s). If I have to play for a location, that will cut into our prize support money. However, my goal is to find a cheap place that will hold everyone comfortably.

With that being said, we are planning to give away a "significant" number of R&R customs. How many? You'll just have to wait and see. Production has already begun.

Depending on location and turnout, we also thought about giving away a Force FX lightsaber. This also depends on whether or not I can find one at a decent price. But its just an idea. There are some other things that we may do instead.

This should be a very interesting event.

Roy
swrogue57
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:00:29 AM

OK. One more question before posting the tournament thread.

If we do two tournaments, Epic Duos (Friday 7-11pm) and 200 pt constructed or Mystery Map (Saturday 10am - whenever), how many of you would be able to make both days of the event? I know that work and school will be factors for most people, but I think two days of gaming could be a lot of fun. Let me know what you think.

Roy
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:27:49 AM

I could make it both days if Ted and I could crash somewhere Friday night.
Zalkrie
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:59:49 PM

We are working to get a local store going in our area of MD.....That is Ted and I, so if I can get myself back in playing "Shape", I would love to come down and play.....especially if you are going to have customs. Ted showed me the Jania and Sora that he got form your regional and they looked great!.
swrogue57
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 8:16:37 AM

Just posted the official tournament thread. Check it out!!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9779