RegisterDonateLogin

That thing's operational!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Protective Sleeves & Cleaning Miniatures Options
Jenos
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:14:14 AM
Groups: Member

Hi

Im a born again miniature collector (started when Rebel Storm came out), Having left most of my collection on a shelf since ...

*looks at a miniature base and reads 2004* .. a few years .. Crikey !! As you can imagine they have gathered a fair bit of dust.. *cough cough* Do I just throw them in warm soapy water to clean them or is there a better method ?

Also now I have the time to get to use the minis in games, what card protector / sleeves do you guys & girls recommend please ? Any old thing or are there sleeves that fit perfect ?

Thanks in advance

Single guy who really should get a maid in Blushing
cicrush13
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 1:38:35 AM

As for the sleeves. I use mostly the penny sleeves (100 sleeves for $1) they work well. When I get some rarer pieces I use thicker sleeves and sometimes (but rarely) hard sleeves.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:17:27 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I don't know about the cleaning thing, I've got to wonder if a simple feather duster won't work best? Might be tedious, but seems like the right way to go over soap and water.
I use the regular old baseball card penny sleeves and hard sleeves for all my cards. The Ultra Pro brand is what I buy, and I go for the 'Premium' ones (don't know if that really makes a difference or not?). If you don't have a local baseball card shop try Ebay, I've gotten some decent deals there.
SquelchDog
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 4:17:24 AM

I used to keep my huge mini's on a book shelf but they kept getting dusty. To clean them I just wiped them down with a wet wash cloth. Then wiped them dry with paper towels. ThumpUp
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 5:45:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

A can of duster can be purchased for Wal-mart but you have to hold onto the minis while you dust. Unless you like blowing them across the room. Thats what my oldest son does when its time to clean the game room.
Jenos
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:06:07 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys ThumbsUp
Minkzx
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:52:26 AM

Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master wrote:
Unless you like blowing them across the room. Thats what my oldest son does when its time to clean the game room.

Your son just gave all of your minis the Flight ability.ThumbsUp
Darth Lucifer
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:03:05 AM

i store my minis in a goats mouth. the saliva keeps them dust free.

OK, it's a joke.LOL Please stay on topic. BlooMilk -swinefeld
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:40:35 AM

I keep all my minis (minus huges and fragile VRs) in a gigantic bin (separated in bags by faction, of course) so they never get dusty. My huges stay in a cabinet at the bottom of my bookshelf, and they never seem to get dusty either. My AT-AT on the other hand.....well my minis can make snow-angels on its base.

As for the cards, I keep them in card-sleeve pages in three thick binders (although I understand its not common practice....)

I have most of the stats memorized anyways, so when I'm playing I don't need the cards right in front of me. I just look them up when I have a question in my mind.
yuuzhanvonghunter
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:00:34 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
I keep all my minis (minus huges and fragile VRs) in a gigantic bin (separated in bags by faction, of course) so they never get dusty. My huges stay in a cabinet at the bottom of my bookshelf, and they never seem to get dusty either. My AT-AT on the other hand.....well my minis can make snow-angels on its base.

As for the cards, I keep them in card-sleeve pages in three thick binders (although I understand its not common practice....)

I have most of the stats memorized anyways, so when I'm playing I don't need the cards right in front of me. I just look them up when I have a question in my mind.

I dont know how to clean the figures, but I also keep the cards in a binder.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:21:45 AM

Darth Lucifer wrote:
i store my minis in a goats mouth. the saliva keeps them dust free.

OK, it's a joke.LOL Please stay on topic. BlooMilk -swinefeld

Bet you get some unique customs that wayFlapper
Darth Lucifer
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:25:26 AM

Goat Chewed Clone Trooper
cost -10
att-6
def-15
dmg-20

SA-Goat Smell 11
opponent with 6 squares must save 11 vs goat smell or be activated
Durge4-LOM
Posted: Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:09:20 AM

nice, Darth LuciferLaugh . If your put your cards in sheet protectors, if they get dusty your can just remove the cards and then wipe with with wet paper towel. If you have bent spears, lightsabers, etc., I here soaking in warm water while straitening them works.ThumpUp
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:42:00 PM

My friend uses penny sleeves, and on his rares he uses Deck Box sleeves, but any thicker ones are probably just as good (in case you don't know what deck box sleeves are, they are thicker, they're the ones with one clear side and, for some reason, one side colored side that you can't see through with sparkles too. They come in red, blue, and maybe other colors). And with his extremely rare and valuable ones (i.e, his Boba Fett that he paid 30$ for on ebay Smile) he puts them in sleeves and then in a toploader (which is a hard plastic bigger sleeve like thing for sports cards. They also come in bigger sizes like 4X6 for photos, and even HUUGGEEE ones that he actually uses for his star wars miniatures maps Scared). As for cleaning, I don't know, but in case, you might want to be careful not to wash any paint away. Maybe use a hair blow dryer thingy on a cool setting and blow some off. Anyway, once you've cleaned them I know a good way to store them. My friend uses bait cases (unused ones of course). They fit perfectly in a standard one, laying down or standing up. And, they stack nicely to save room. He labels them (i.e, Rebels, Old Republic/Vuuzan Vong, Rares) so that they are easier to find, and he seperates his stat cards accordingly and puts them in seperate ziplock bags. The large/huge ones he sets/stacks neatly in a bucket with a lid. Hope this helps, BlooMilk