RegisterDonateLogin

Unlikely to lead to fear, anger, hate or suffering.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

"Feedback Requested" Section Options
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:30:04 AM
Groups: Member

I don't know if this has ever come up, but I think some restrictions need to be placed on the "Feedback Requested" system. The whole point of allowing a section like this was to give users who seriously wanted a genuine opinion about a legitimate squad they had created, and people are taking advantage of this; at the time of this post, there are 661 squads under "Feedback Requested." This flood of squads is taking away from the purpose of the section. Not only are the same people posting countless squads, but some of them really don't even warrant being posted. So many of these squads are not rated because other users don't feel like digging through and/or commenting hundreds of squads just for the sake of being nice, so they avoid the section altogether. To extrapolate the problem, users often leave their unrated squads up for considerable periods of time expecting to eventually receive feedback, and this further clutters the section.

I propose that some sort of limit be imposed on the "Feedback Requested" section. The first thing that comes to mind is to limit the number of squads users can have posted at any given time to some small number, like three, as well as set a squad size limit, say 400 points, so that users don't just post 1000 point squads whose use really isn't ever even feasible (after about 450-500 points, there's no point in asking for feedback because you can put just about anything and everything into a squad). This forces people who have numerous and/or large squads to seriously consider which ones are worth posting, will reduce the number of users who "spam" squads, and improve the overall quality of posted squads. I also think it would be a good idea to limit the amount of time a particular squad can be posted to something like no more than one month. If users haven't received squad feedback by then, it's a good sign that the squad really isn't worth the time to look at. Conversely, if the squad receives an ample amount of comments, the user will have the information they need to edit the squad and can remove it so that others can receive information about their squads.

Sorry about the rambling, but I'd really like to streamline this great new function on the website so that users can get serious and helpful feedback about their squads. Although it had a low rating (<7), one of the squads I posted in this section at one point actually made it into the "Top 200pt. Squads" box for a time with something like 17+ comments. I'd love for every user to receive this kind of feedback on their squads, but the current setup of the system deters this kind of support.
Segastorm
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:03:24 AM

I agree with you that the feedback requested section needs organizing because many people don't want to look comment on the squads because there are so many there. I also agree with you that some of the 400+ squads aren't really meant to be commented and are too big to even require commenting. As much as Shinja can do to help make sure all if not many of the squads get feedback, the people of bloomilk can do too, but this is a suggestion forum, so I won't go into that.

I have some suggestions to help make sure that everyone gets their squads commented on.

1. Organize the feedback the feedback requested section into more sub-sections matching the squad type(Example: if someone posts a competitive-type squad and requests feedback, it could go into a possible competitive sub-section under feedback requested.)

2. Prevent 400-1000 type squads from being able to be posted. That way, there is more room for the more competitive/general type squads to fit in and get more feedback. This however, would be unfair to the themed squads as they would receive less feedback than the other squads and I believe all squad types(except completely random squad types that make no sense) should be treated equally.

3. Take SuperYodaMan's suggestion on having a limit to the number of squads people can post per day, despite the circumstances. This would allow in the future less clutter and buildup in the section and would look more inviting to others.

4. Make a limit to the number of squads that can be in the feedback requested section at a time, that way, there isn't clutter, and people who really want to put their squad in that section once it gets full will comment and rate the squads in that section so that they can post, effectively creating a chain reaction to others, resulting in a lot of feedback being posted, but some people may not take the time to look at it thoroughly and just leave a one character comment and rate it a one or some other random rating.

Sincerely, Segastorm.

swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:20:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'll be honest, I hadn't really looked at it before, but I agree, some grouping/filtering would help a lot.

I noticed that clicking on the column headings does not sort the list. Having that working would be an improvement until a better system can be implemented.
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:07:41 AM

swinefeld wrote:
I'll be honest, I hadn't really looked at it before, but I agree, some grouping/filtering would help a lot.

I noticed that clicking on the column headings does not sort the list. Having that working would be an improvement until a better system can be implemented.

Thanks for taking notice of it.

Segastorm wrote:
1. Organize the feedback the feedback requested section into more sub-sections matching the squad type...

2. Prevent 400-1000 type squads from being able to be posted... This however, would be unfair to the themed squads as they would receive less feedback than the other squads and I believe all squad types (except completely random squad types that make no sense) should be treated equally.

I love the idea of sub-categories. You also bring up a great point; I didn't even think about themed-squads. This makes me love the sub-category idea even more. ThumbsUp

Segastorm wrote:
Take SuperYodaMan's suggestion on having a limit to the number of squads people can post per day, despite the circumstances.

Actually, I meant having a limit to the number of squads someone could post in total, period, not per day, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who would like to see some changes made. Thanks for the feedback.
shinja
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 3:12:16 AM
Groups: Administration

I agree that the Feedback Requested section really needs work. When I get a chance to work on it, I'll consult this thread. So keep posting ideas and suggestions here.
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:58:45 PM

Hey, shinja! I know your a very busy man, but it's been a month since this issue was first addressed and I haven't noticed any changes yet. The problem has only gotten worse, too; there are now almost 800 squads in this section and several users in particular, not giving names, who have over 20 squads posted. I'm just wondering when we can see any kind of improvement/clean-up of the section.
Segastorm
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:21:10 PM

After seeing this thread get revived, I have another idea

Maybe make it so that squads that don't receive feedback after a certain amount of time automatically get deleted.(I'm doing it myself now)

Edit: also notice that since the section was made, the squads part of the forums has been getting less attention.
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:32:07 PM

Segastorm wrote:
Maybe make it so that squads that don't receive feedback after a certain amount of time automatically get deleted.(I'm doing it myself now)

You mean deleted from the section, right, and not deleted as in deleted from your personal "My Squads" section?

By the way, sorry if you took my last post as me calling you out. I didn't mean to insinuate you in particular; there are several other users that are doing the same thing as you. You do have to admit, though, that you have a propensity for posting excessive numbers of squads. I'm gonna have to start looking through some of them to see if I can get any ideas, considering that you seem to have so many. LOL
Segastorm
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:21:27 PM

Well...a lot of my squads don't usually get feedback and I have a lot of competitive ideas.

Edit: and yeah, when you said there are some people posting more than 20, that kinda screamed my name.
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 5:28:31 PM

I just thought I'd try resurrecting this because the "Feedback Requested" section is getting way too out of hand; there are roughly 900 squads up there now, and I feel like nobody is ever going to get any feedback, whether they deserve it or not, with that insane number of squads up. This problem really isn't that there are tens or hundreds of people posting squads. Rather, the problem stems from only a few people abusing the section and posting far more squads than is appropriate. You know who you are (there are quite a few of you, and no, I'm not singling you out, Sega Razz ), and I expect many of you are reading this yet still choose not to help. For the sake of other users, please put a check on what you post.

Shinja, I know you're a busy guy and you have a life outside of BlooMilk, but when can we expect to see a change with some of our suggestions implemented, especially a limit to the number of squads a user can post?
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:45:01 PM

Shinja, I now you're reading the forums because you just recently made a post in this section. We're nearing 1,000 squads now, and if something doesn't get done relatively soon I fear nothing ever will. I know that revamping this section is not something that can be done quickly and I know you have plenty of other things to do, but it would be nice to at least know if you're trying to work on addressing this issue at the moment.
shinja
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:15:55 AM
Groups: Administration

I just updated this page. Members are limited to only 3 squads requesting feedback at one time. Also, only squads that have been marked as requesting feedback in the last month show up in the list.

I know there are still members with more than 3 squads in the list, but the next time they mark a squad to "Request Feedback", it will unmark all but 3 of their squads, so the list will filter itself down naturally.

I also fixed sorting, and the default sort, so squads with no feedback are listed first. I didn't do anything with restrictions based on point level, but I'm not sure it will be necessary at this point. Let me know if you guys have any other requests for the page.
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:55:04 AM

Holy smokes! Thank you soooooo much, shinja!!! ThumbsUp BlooMilk BigGrin

One thing I didn't mention before that I think would be kind of nice is if the columns used for sorting categories were "fixed;" right now, if you click on them to change the sorting, it causes the browser to reload the page. It would be nice if it would change without reloading the page, like the character search does right now (let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about).

How did you manage to remove so many squads by limiting it to three, yet some people still have more than three squads posted (i.e. after the change, many users who had more than three squads posted now just have three, but others have more than three still)? I'm not saying this needs to be fixed, as it will fix itself in time. I'm just curious as to how you actually got the fix to work from a programming standpoint.