RegisterDonateLogin

Is a political idealist, not a murderer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Frosty Con 200 point tourny report Options
Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 1:43:06 AM
Groups: Member

My squad:
GOWK
Mace LothLS
Foul Moudama
R2-D2
Republic Commando Atin
3x Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionists
Rodian Diplomat
Uggie

I got 2nd place overall

First Round: Bye

Second Round:
played againt Darth Malus and his NR Squad with Mara, Kyp, Ganner and Celeste
Map: Smuggler's Base

I positioned myself into gambit lifting Mace with Foul first round. At the beginning of the 2nd round he levitates Mara in and she runs up to Foul to assault. She hits, crit, Foul defends, hits and misses. This is big since Foul is left alive with 30 HP left. Mace walks up to Mara, hit, crit, hit, hit. Dead Mara. There's some positioning then, and GOWK ends up pushing Celeste and Ganner. 3rd round Mace hits Kyp once and then crits. Dead Kyp. He then flamethrowers Mace and pushes with Ganner to make Mace adjacent to Celeste. She swings 3 times, he ripostes, and gets 20 damage on Celeste. Next round begins, Malus wins init, Celeste swings at Mace, Mace ripostes, crits. Dead Celeste. Malus then concedes. When Mace crits, he's dangerous.

Third Round:
play Thereisnotry with his GOWK/Mace squad
Map: Sinkhole

This was a fun game since I have 10 acts and he has 8, so we get a lot of rounds in. He takes shots at Foul early, but isn't able to take him out. I overextend with Mace at the start of round 2 and have Foul lift him into the action. He takes his swipes, but can't crit anything, and while he does some damage, he does nothing significant, and Fi's traps prove to be a real annoyance. I then use GOWK to take out his R2 and damage Rex, trying to setup a final shot with Atin, but before I can do that he takes out my R2. We exchange some more hits, but at this point it's a losing match for me and he ends up with a 3 point win.

I'm in 2nd place going into the Semi-finals

played against a Mando squad
Map: Rancor Pit

He has 5 scouts, a captain, Bardan, and 2 gunslingers. I decide to use Mace as a shield since even with opportunist he needs 18s to hit Mace. I get first round gambit and then go charging in. Foul bases a scout, and Mace kills one. Atin takes a gunslinger using final shot. 3rd round Foul kills a scout and so does Mace, but I once again underestimated my opponent and Mace is taken down (I'm also unable to make a reflect save). Time to tow GOWK in. GOWK pushes the gunslinger and his uggie. Atin is able to take out the captain with final shot. So it comes down to GOWK, so scouts, the gunslinger and Bardan. He tries to mind trick GOWK at the start of the next round and I have to burn force points to save. GOWK then kills the Gunslinger and damages Bardan. Next round GOWK is towed and kills a scout. Time is called and I win on points, but it was very close. I've learned to be a little more careful.

Finals
Against Thereisnotry again
Map: Sinkhole

I learned in the last game that taking out his shooters is key and at the start of the second round Mace kills Fi. He in turn uses his Mace to come after Atin. Unfortunately I wasn't able to leave Mace adjacent to Foul and have to wait a round to get Mace back into the action. When round 4 starts he goes first and then I lift Mace next to Rex, R2, and GOWK. Mace hits Rex, I reroll hoping for the crit and get it. Dead Rex and then dead R2. Then there's a lot of riposting, rerolling, and cancelling, but in the end my Mace is dead, his Mace has 20 HP left. My GOWK has 30 HP left, his has 20, and Foul has 20 HP left. At the start of the 6th round (I think) Mace kills Foul, my GOWK kills his Mace. So it's now my 30 HP GOWK vs his 20 HP GOWK. I run through a door GOWK was opening in to gambit. He runs his GOWK to the middle of the map. At this point I realize that he'll win since his GOWK is closer to the center of the map. So I have to take a round to get there, sacrificing gambit. At the start of the final round my GOWK is adjacent to his GOWK. He wins init and uses push. Both GOWKs die and he wins 220 and 215. It was intense.

All in all in was a fun tournament and a good time. I hope that the GOWK/Mace combo can cause a resurgence of low activation squads since the best games I had (and the most fun) were against Thereisnotry.

edit: (forgot maps, doh)
R5Don4
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 2:27:51 AM
Groups: Member

Great report. Congrats to the Tint Machine.