trappedslider
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:59:22 AM
Groups: Member

kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:34:01 PM

@trappedslider,
Congratulations! BigGrin
I'll certainly spread the word for a budding new talent.

If I may offer some constructive criticism of the work, though?
Big fan of Shakespeare much? BigGrin With a spy twist, which is nice.
Two houses being married and shenanigans tipped me off to that influence (which may be unconscious/not an authorial intention, especially if you are trained as a writer).

To technical perspective,
There were few (less than 10, from my standpoint, which is AAA good) grammar errors, spelling is correct and meaning comes across generally well (there are a couple of sentences which are unintentionally ambiguous, but that may be your style emerging BigGrin).
Format and layout could be improved to aide in readability, and to convey themes of the narrative (experiment a little) but its readable as is.

The characters voices are distinct, and the narrator is fairly unambiguous: this unfortunately leads to a limited number of readings which can be constructed. Phrased differently, there are a lot of ensemble, marginalised (or "window dressing", "extras") characters which propel the story.

I think the only thing lacking in the work is a deeper message or comment on society, especially if we compare this work to say... Tolstoy's War and Peace, or Frank Herbert's Dune, or other narratives which centre on the metonymic and symbollic cultural construct of marriage.
Though the present work isn't necessarily a satire or comment by design, it could have a resonant message which I feel is biting.

In summary,
Anything which encourages young adults to read can only be a good thing; and who knows, the intertextual allusions you make may encourage the audience to read the other works BigGrin. This is the first step on the road to writer-dom, and signs are positive.

Have you written anything else? Do you draw as well/have you attempted an illustrated story?

A couple of constructive pointers I'd offer if I may, to add to your toolkit to hone your craft;
1. Check out McCloud's 2005 series on Making/Understanding Comics. You may not be writing in that format, but the section on narrative gaps and the section on narrative construction may be fun for someone of your skill set to play with BigGrin. In that vein, checkout T.S. Spivet, its a meta-narrative narrative, or Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions/Slaughterhouse 5 for some inspirational reading BigGrin
2. Consider writing in a minimalist sense; that is, with less victorian styled, romanticism and play a little more with the narrators and the information that the audience gets. Alan Moore's Watchmen is a great example of para-texts at play BigGrin

Overall, I enjoyed the read, and hope you do make some more content.
Id like to see a transgressive piece perhaps, or a sci fi? A crossover between genres would be great. BigGrin
All the best,
Kobayashimaru
trappedslider
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:04:51 PM

Thank you kobayashimaru,the one review that was posted was doen by my brother so pelase ignore it lol

I wasn't aimming for any type of statement on marrige,and yes I did slightly rip off shakespear but who hasn't at this point to one degree or naother lol.

I'm currently wokring on a second story unrelated to this one,depsite me leaving a possible squeal hook at the end,lol and it's in a 1st PoV and i'm always looking for more proof reads in the early stages,so if oyu'd like to read it jsut give me your email and i'll send oyu a copy.
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:24:50 AM

Congrats! For the most part I agree with kobyashimaru, but not every work has to have a societal message on par with Tolstoy. Especially not a first work.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:25:02 AM

ThumpUp wow, that's wicked cool!BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:59:04 PM

@corranhorn,
yeah, good point you make lol. Hence the reference I made, because some 'critic' Cough*Barthes (authorial intent is dead)*Cough at some point is bound to come along and say "wow, what a rip... blah blah blah" and overlook that its a debut work lol.

@Trappedslidder...
Looking forward to more content haha. Although I'm picturing that you're furiously at the keyboard making something as we speak (ala Garth Marenghi's Darkplace) haha.
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:39:58 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@corranhorn,
yeah, good point you make lol. Hence the reference I made, because some 'critic' Cough*Barthes (authorial intent is dead)*Cough at some point is bound to come along and say "wow, what a rip... blah blah blah" and overlook that its a debut work lol.

You're right that is a concern.
@trppedslider,
You seem to have a fan on amazon :) I'm thinking about buying it but I'm a bit strapped for cash atm.