RegisterDonateLogin

Only legal in the Outer Rim.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Battle of the Bombed-out Droid Factory (pic heavy) Options
Stormtrooper
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:35:42 PM
Groups: Member

My son and I just had a game on a custom map I made from twenty-eight SWM tiles. The map is of a battle droid factory that has been heavily bombarded but is still churning out droids. Here's a pic:

My son chose:

General Grevious, DAC
Wat Tabor, TUF
San Hill
Gha Nachkt
Battle Droid Officer
Magnaguard with Missile Launcher
Super Battle Droid x 3
IG-86 Assassin Droid
Battle Droid x 2

I thought I'd take it easy on my son so I took ten Sandtrooper Officers:

My troops began by marching through the bombed out buildings and supply depot next to the droid factory.

My son played cautious with his commanders and hid them deep in the factory while he sent the rest of the droids to snipe from the hanger door. He even kept Grevious hidden because in an earlier battle he had lost him due to using him too far forward. After he out activates me, a battle droid runs and opens the door and then a Super Battle Droid moves 12 and twin attacks.

As my Sandtroopers emerge from the vehicle depot (two tiles full of low objects), first blood is drawn with a Super Battle Droid critting and then hitting the same trooper again.

Almost all of the fighting takes place with his droids firing from the hanger door while my Sandtrooper Officers slug their way through no-man's land. I have to get to his commanders because he can replentish the Droids with Wat and San Hill. A long distance shoot-out is also out for me because his droids' attack and defence are higher and they twin attack with GG DAC in charge.

He has the Magnaguard and IG in front as shields and moves Gha up behind to repair.

I lost another trooper and another is wounded.

I use combined fire and destroy the IG droid and damage the Magnaguard...

...but I lose another trooper and more are wounded.

I do manage to destroy several battle droids, causing him to retreat into the factory...

...but he gets his reserves roll and more droids start walking off the assembly line right into battle.

He moves Wat up as well to help repair. I only have half my squad left.

With Wat and Gha for repair and reserves up at the front line, he opens the hanger door and resumes his attack.

I lose two more Sandtroopers but manage to destroy the Magnaguard.

It didn't help. He massacred the remaining Sandtroopers and even brought in more droids. I think he rolled at least a dozen crits in that battle. Anyhoo, next time I won't go so easy on him.
jak
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 2:07:14 AM

cool!
how old is your boy?
is that his chair in the background?LOL
R5Don4
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 2:18:31 AM

Fantastic play report Stormtrooper. I love the squad choices. The Sandtrooper Officers appear to be a formidable force marching in formation forward with their T-21's shouldered. Did you ever notice all the detail on that sculpt that is could be brought out with a bit of paint? And did Wizards really need to cheap out and not weather this fig?

Also love your son's IG-88 and the Destroyer Droid in the peanut gallery cheering on the Seps.

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 8:39:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Great report! Gotta agree with R5D4, those troopers looked menacing. ThumbsUp

Even if you had fought your way through the front lines, I don't think you stood a chance with those 2 huge droids waiting outside. Wink
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:01:15 AM

I really liked ur idea to combine all the tiles and i gotta agree about the Sandtroopers haha, they loook scary
two things tho
First, just to let you know ( I don't know if you do) the tiles with all the little tthings on them aee meant to bbe cut up
Also, I liked the idea of the droids rolling off the assemvly lines :D
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:34:08 AM

Nice write up Stormtrooper. ThumpUp I gotta say I like your sons tactics. Sounds like he really enjoys playing and is good at it. Smile Nice choice with the Sandtrooper Officers. They do look formidable marching across the map. Speaking of map I remember you posting pic's of this style map over on the WotC boards. ThumbsUp
Stormtrooper
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:38:31 PM

SquelchDog wrote:
Speaking of map I remember you posting pic's of this style map over on the WotC boards. ThumbsUp

Yeah, it's the same map with some tiles added and others changed. I wish there were more tiles that people could mix together to create their own maps. This one is a favourite of mine to play on most likely because it's my own creation.
R5Don4
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 12:09:22 AM

Stormtrooper wrote:
I wish there were more tiles that people could mix together to create their own maps. This one is a favourite of mine to play on most likely because it's my own creation.

Chris West, who made the maps and tiles for WotC is still making tiles available on his website for free! http://www.mapsofmastery.com/downloads.html . Also on his site are a variety of maps for sale.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 6:17:49 AM

Excellent play report! Thanks!
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:21:26 AM

I love the idea of putting the tiles together to make a map.
DarthMatter
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:42:54 PM

If this had been done as a stop-motion animation, I think we would have had an instant classic that would have gone viral!

Nice report, ST...I enjoyed the play-by-play with pics immensely...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:56:51 PM

kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:45:01 AM

Thanks for sharing, Stormtrooper.
It goes to show that a themed army can still be fun/effective to play. Its great to play a boardgame such as SWM with younglings; it teaches maths and turn sharing, as well as sportsmanship and mild strategy.

The use of terrain and the movement of the droids by your son are pretty advanced techniques, could have a future pro on your hands?
DarthMatter
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:50:52 AM

Well...that's not exactly stop-motion...but it's still awesome. Loved the multiple angles.

Nice work, FA!