RegisterDonateLogin

If I told you half the things I've heard about this web site, you'd probably short circuit.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ambush on the Valiant! (Inspired by FlyingArrow) Options
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:12:25 PM
Groups: Member

Once again, I wanna give kudos to FlyingArrow, check out his series of scenarios!

Ambush on the Valiant!

On a remote forest world, a clone trooper enchancing serum has narrowly escaped destruction by Asajj Ventress and Seperatist commandos (see The Serum, I'm bad with links lol). The survivors of that battle, Quinlan Vos, Roron Corobb, Harkka, the unconventional Wookiee scientist who keeps the plans to the serum padlocked in his mind and Clone Commander Yaltro, as well as a sample of the serum itself, have been picked up by the Valiant, a Venator class ship carrying General Obi-Wan Kenobi, an Antarian ranger traveling with Kenobi and clone commander Tas , and are on the way to Coruscant.
Meanwhile, dragging herself back from the dead with the power of the dark side, Asajj Ventress retrieves her orbital starfighter and uses the holotranciever to inform Count Dooku of the situation. He, immediately sends 3 Recusant class destroyers to intercept the Valiant. A pitched space battle ensues, and as a squadron of V-Wing starfighters leave the hangar bay a droid gunship (Battlefront 2 reference there) carrying a strike force led by Durge (wielding a stun pistol) slips in. The clones in the hangar bay, as well as Roron Corobb, barely have time to inform the nearby serum keepers before destroyer driods roll out of the gunship.....
Squads:
Republic
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator 34
Roron Corobb 24
Elite Clone Trooper Commander (Tas) 15
Elite Clone Trooper Grenadier 13
General Kenobi 36
Antarian Ranger 12
Clone Trooper Commander (Yaltro) 13
Clone Trooper Seargent 10
6 Clone Troopers 54
Heavy Clone Trooper 13 (I find the sculpt with the rocket launcher from JA fits the scenario better but your mileage may vary)
Wookiee Scoundrel (Harkka) 11

Seperatists
2 Destroyer Droids 60 (If you don't have these then use any droids totaling 60, no huges though).
B3 Ultra Battle Droid 32
5 Super Battle Droids 50
7 Battle Droids 28
Durge, Jedi Hunter 51

Setup:
Use the Chancellor's Starship/Imperial Base map ( the one from the Ultimate Missions RotS book and the starter set with Vader and Obi-Wan). The large cargo bay represents part of the hangar. These directions assume you are sitting on the wide end of the map that the hangar bay borders, for example the throne room is Northwest from this position. Use a 5x7 tile from either the Rebel Storm or Clone Strike starter sets , any of the Ultimate Missions books, or just cover up the squares, and place it facedown so that it fits perfectly the space in the wall on the edge of the hangar bay (edge of the map). One destroyer droid starts out on each side of the gunship (or the equivalent points) and there is one super battle droid with each of them (2 super battle droids total, one on each isde of the tile). This tile represents the gunship. All the other Seperatist pieces start out inside the gunship, put their minis on the upside down tile. Roron Corobb starts out 4 squares from the gunship in the hangar bay, and three clone troopers start out adjacent to the seats (low objects) at the north of the hangar bay. The small glowing object in the small room bordering the southern hallway (west of the hangar bay, morth side of the hallway) is the serum sample. Quinlan Vos and Harkka start out adjacent to the serum. Tas, General Kenobi, the Antarian Ranger and 1 clone trooper start out in the security control station to the northeast of the serum room. 2 Clone Troopers, the Heavy Clone Trooper, Yaltro, and the Clone Trooper Sergeant start out on the other side of the hangar wall, in the corridor.
Victory Conditions:
The Republic wins by defeating every Seperatist character.
The Seperatists win by either defeating every Republic character or by having a character carrying the Serum move into a square adjacent to the gunship.
Special Rules:
The Serum Sample:
Any Seperatist character that moves over the square with the serum sample in it can pick it up. This character can move normally, but if they are defeated the serum sample is considered to be in the square they were defeated in. Any character can pick it up at this point (Republic characters cannot move the serum from its starting position but they can pick it up normally after that). If a Seperatist character carrying the serum sample moves into a square adjacent to the gunship, the Seperatists win the game.
The Gunship:
All Seperatist characters except the two destroyer droids and two of the Super Battle Droids (see above) start out inside the gunship. They cannot be targeted by any effect or attack while still in the gunship, altohugh any commander effects (if you are switching characters) still applies both inside and outside the gunship.The gunship counts as a low object, although again characters inside it are immune from effects and attacks.
It takes a full turn for Seperatist characters to exit the gunship.
If a Seperatist character carrying the serum sample moves into a square adjacent to the gunship, the Seperatists win the game.

My game with this scenario:

Round 1. Seps win initative.
The destroyer droids and super battle droids open up on the enemies in the hangar, kiling two clones and injuiring Roron Corobb. The Republic forces in the hangar withdraw quickly and they and the rest ofthe Republic forces gather outside the hangar bay. The other droids and Durge disembark the gunship.

Round 2.
The Republic wins initiative.
A brave clone trooper opens the western door to the hangar, and several clone soldiers advance into the hangar bay slowly. A timely EMP grenade from one of them temporarily stuns a destroyer droid,who suceeds on the shield save, the B3 ultra battle droid, a super battle droid and destroys a regular battle droid. However these clones a faced with withering return fire, concentrated by the droids for maximum effect, and 2 (including the rocket launcher operator) are killed, the rest falling back as several droids take up a position on the north side of the hangar.
Round 3. With the door open still, a barrage of blasterfire flies both ways, claiming several more clones and droids. Meanwhile, a super battle droid leads 2 battle droids as well as a destroyer droid out the north hangar door in an attempt to flank the enemy. Another EMP grenade again stuns the same destroyer droid and B3 Ultra battle droid, and yet again neither take damage.
Round 4
The Antarian Ranger and Quinlan Vos move to a position watching the north hallway, and the antarian ranger fires at the droids, who are behind cover, and taking out the super battle droid. The destroyer moves up the take his place in the north siide doorway as one battle droid moves to the opposite doorway. The EMP grenadier falls back, and Harkka and another clone trooper move up to hold the doorway as Tas, Yaltro, Kenobi and Corobb hang back from the battle. The formerly stunned destroyer droids moves up to open the door, and the B3 Ultra battle droid launches a missile, killing Harkka and his clone companion. Durge takes cover on the northern side of the hangar bay, preparing for return fire.
Round 5
The Antarian Ranger destroys a battle droid down the hallway, and the destroyer droid returns fire before crossing the hallway for safety from enemy fire. The ranger is unscathed, however. Kenobi and Corobb charge into the hangar, damaging the B3 Ultra battle droid but not destroying it. However, the B3 returns fire, injuiring Kenobi, and three well placed shots from Durge take him down. Battle droid fire injuires Corobb, and Quinlan Vos moves to just outside the open western hangar door. Commander Yaltro moves up into the northern corridor, firing at but missing the battle droid at the far end. The clone trooper sergeant fires into the hangar ineffectualy, and finally, Tas moves up behind Vos.
Round 6
After seeing Kenobi go down, Roron Corobb charges at Durge but is knocked down by a hail of stun bolts. The destroyer droid in the northern corridor moves up, firing at and drawing blood from the Antarian ranger, however the ranger is still standing, and fires back, only partially penetrating the shields. Remembering what happened to his squad on the planet's surface , Yaltro empties his power cell firing at the destroyer droid advancing up the corridor, but the shots bounce harmlessly off the shield. A hail of blasterfire from inside the hangar cuts him down, as the sergeant next to him suffers a similair fate. Tas fires and destroys a battle droid in the hangar, but it is not enough.
Round 7
The Elite Clone Trooper Grenaider charges the droids in the hangar, tossing a final EMP grenade and stunning the destroyer droid and B3 (although neither are damaged) before being killed by droid fire. The Antarian Ranger, Tas, and Master Vos group together in a loose formation outside the hangar, however, the end is nigh for the servants of the Republic. The destroyer droid in the northern hallway uses its wheeled form to flank the Antarian ranger together with the other destroyer droid. He swiftly dies from blaster fire from the other destroyer droid. As a Super Battle Droid holds the door open, the B3 and the remaining battle droids move out, followed by Durge.
Round 8
Quinlan Vos charges the destroyer droids, but he cannot withstand the sheer volume of fire directed at him, a stun bolt from Durge gets past his lightsaber and he hits the deck. Tas fires at the enemy droids ineffectually, then falls back and opens the door to thr security control room. The enemy forces corner him but he escapes into the control room (throne room).However, a stun shot from Durge takes him out and droids retrieve the serum, taking it, and several prsioners, back to the Bloodletting, a Recusant class destroyer......
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:42:55 PM

Nice play report! Sounds like a lot of fun. I had a feeling that the seps would win at the beginning, because Durge was really prepared for the jedi that was fighting him. The clones also aren't very good without synergy. Anyways, you can easily tell what's going on and it still makes the minis really "come to life".
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:34:07 AM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
Nice play report! Sounds like a lot of fun. I had a feeling that the seps would win at the beginning, because Durge was really prepared for the jedi that was fighting him. The clones also aren't very good without synergy. Anyways, you can easily tell what's going on and it still makes the minis really "come to life".

Thanks! BigGrin Yeah, my idea was to use Durge, since Ventress failed in the first one, but I thought that just using CS Durge might unbalance it a bit in favor of the Jedi. Durge, Jedi Hunter is an anti-Jedi beast, though, if I ran it again I might throw in another Jedi or powerful shooter for the Republic.
EDIT: The thing about clone synergy is that in the storyline they are surprissed by the boarding, barely able to get to a defensible position before they are killed. I think that someone like Commander Gree would even out the synergy though.
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:09:02 PM

corranhorn wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

Thanks! BigGrin Yeah, my idea was to use Durge, since Ventress failed in the first one, but I thought that just using CS Durge might un balance it a bit in favor of the Jedi. Durge, Jedi Hunter is an anti-Jedi beast, though, ig I ran it again I might throw in another Jedi or powerful shooter for the Republic.
EDIT: The thing about clone synergy is that in the storyline they are surprissed by the boarding, barely able to get to a defensible position before they are killed. I think that someone like Commander Gree would even out the synergy though.

I don't mind if there's no synergy in play reports. It doesn't matter who wins or loses, just as long as it sounds cool! For example, Durge and his battle droids really were on the path to winning, but the story still sounds great!
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:34:27 PM

Thanks! Tongue
I'll play Bloodletting later this week hopefully and get the reoport posted.