501 Trooper
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:51:00 AM
Groups: Member

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Does anyone know what political parties there are in SW? Like Republican and Democrat? Not wanting to start a politics war here...

Republic and CIS.

Well yeah...But before the war?

I'd guess that they would be the money people (i.e. Trade Federation/Banking Clan), Strong Ruling People (Palpatine), and the People that want peace and fairness (Bail Organa).

I wonder if they have names...Confused

The Magnates, Authoritarians, and Appeasers. (I made those up using thesaurus.com.)
501 Trooper
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:53:08 AM

First candidate to 25 votes is the winner!
gwek
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:14:47 AM

If this is supposed to mirror Episode I, the poll is fundamentally flawed: it wasn't Bail Organa, but Bail ANTILLES who was nominated.

At the time, Bail Antilles and the senator from Malastare (Ainlee Timm?) were the leaders of their resepctive parties, whereas Palpatine was largely a charismatic outsider.

By voting for Palpatine, people weren't voting against a justice-seeking, well-known candidate (as a Palpatine vs Organa conflict would indicate), but rather voting for the one candidate who wasn't, at that point, part of the problem... who was pretty charming, and who could appeal to all sides on some level.

Not to get into a real-life political debate, but it'd be almost like saying "Okay, we're going to replace the president with either one of the leaders of the incredibly unpopular, gridlocked Congress.... or Bill Clinton. Who do you want?"
501 Trooper
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:33:06 AM

gwek wrote:
If this is supposed to mirror Episode I, the poll is fundamentally flawed: it wasn't Bail Organa, but Bail ANTILLES who was nominated.

At the time, Bail Antilles and the senator from Malastare (Ainlee Timm?) were the leaders of their resepctive parties, whereas Palpatine was largely a charismatic outsider.

By voting for Palpatine, people weren't voting against a justice-seeking, well-known candidate (as a Palpatine vs Organa conflict would indicate), but rather voting for the one candidate who wasn't, at that point, part of the problem... who was pretty charming, and who could appeal to all sides on some level.

Not to get into a real-life political debate, but it'd be almost like saying "Okay, we're going to replace the president with either one of the leaders of the incredibly unpopular, gridlocked Congress.... or Bill Clinton. Who do you want?"

Really . . . I'll have to check that part of the movie out again.
501 Trooper
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:44:36 AM

501 Trooper wrote:
gwek wrote:

Really . . . I'll have to check that part of the movie out again.

Whoops . . . uh . . . I think I'll just start a knew thread. Blushing Thanks for telling me.
501 Trooper
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:48:42 PM

done. Keep trying to post the URL, but it won't let me for some reason.
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:28:01 AM

501 Trooper wrote:
501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Does anyone know what political parties there are in SW? Like Republican and Democrat? Not wanting to start a politics war here...

Republic and CIS.

Well yeah...But before the war?

I'd guess that they would be the money people (i.e. Trade Federation/Banking Clan), Strong Ruling People (Palpatine), and the People that want peace and fairness (Bail Organa).

I wonder if they have names...Confused

The Magnates, Authoritarians, and Appeasers. (I made those up using thesaurus.com.)

The CIS are pretty obviously the equivalent of the Republicans- big money interests (and so against taxation), against most gov't action, etc. The Republic, on the flip side, are Democrats because they hold the opposite of those views (for the most part). You even find that the Republic is mroe fo an ideological spectrum (with some more conservative senators who still support it rather than the CIS), mirroring the way the Democrat Party is also such a spectrum; the CIS is more ideologically extreme. Now, I'm not implying that Republicans are bad or something. The CIS was a legitimate ideological movement.

But, really? I mean, no one noticed that one of their leaders was named Grevious? That's not a good guy name.