RegisterDonateLogin

Range 6

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Trek Tactics Options
corranhorn
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:10:38 AM
Groups: Member

I was on trollandtoad.com the other day and I saw a new set for Haloclix, which I briefly played beofre understanding why they had only made one set. ( It's a bit boring and there are waaaay too many spartan figures ). Then I saw that there was a clix game called Star Trek Tactics, and I was obligated to check it out. Woot As intruiging as the maps looked ( Borg Transport Hub, DS9, and so on) and the fact that they had a mini of Voyager AND a mini called the warship Voyager, which may be from that episode where the Doctor's backup module is activated after 700 years, I couldn't help but notice that there are only 20 ships, all either Klingon or Starfleet. This obviously somewhat ruined the game for me, has anyone played this? Is it a good game despite the limited size and factions?
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:00:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It's not a "new" game, as it uses all of the Heroclix rules. Wizkids sort of cheaped out, and only used the sculpts they had for the Fleet Captains game, which is why it is only Federation and Klingon ships.

I've been tempted to pick up a few ships to replace my Fleet Captains ships.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:25:57 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I play Heroclix and was incredibly disappointed by Star Trek Tactics. Wizkids made the lazy choice of simply re-using Heroclix rules and it just doesn't make sense for ship-to-ship space combat. A guy I play with brings them every week to Heroclix and while I don't mind playing against them, they simply remind me how cool the game could have been and how lame it ended up being. (And to be honest I do get a little annoyed that the Enterprise is being punched by Spider-man on a bridge. WHAT?! Technically the games are compatible, but supposed to be separate.) There is an odd focus on close combat, no real shields mechanism, and Photon Torpedoes aren't very accurately depicted.

As for just 20 ships, to be fair there has only been one set and it was released only a few weeks ago. If there are mre I'm guessing a colossal Borg Cube and some Rumulan ships would be added.
corranhorn
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 12:34:04 AM

Well it was the first set I would thin a base set would have more then twenty, but if I can get my hands on some Borg Cubes and Romulans to face off against the Voyager I would undoubtedly buy, then im all in. LOL Spiderman fighting the enterprise on a bridge sounds awesome, if a bit stupid...
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 2:25:04 AM

corranhorn wrote:
Well it was the first set I would thin a base set would have more then twenty, but if I can get my hands on some Borg Cubes and Romulans to face off against the Voyager I would undoubtedly buy, then im all in. LOL Spiderman fighting the enterprise on a bridge sounds awesome, if a bit stupid...

20 is about on par with the non-superhero (Street Fighter, Lord of the Rings) Heroclix sets. These are different from large Heroclix sets, they are released in single boosters. And again Romulans are just a speculation on my part, but I think they are the next logical jump.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 10:00:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

20 is about on par with the non-superhero (Street Fighter, Lord of the Rings) Heroclix sets. These are different from large Heroclix sets, they are released in single boosters. And again Romulans are just a speculation on my part, but I think they are the next logical jump.

Since they all but confirmed that Romulans will be the next race added in a Fleet Captains expansion, and Tactics reuses all the scupts of the board game, it is a safe assumption.
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 11:48:22 AM

Sithborg wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Since they all but confirmed that Romulans will be the next race added in a Fleet Captains expansion, and Tactics reuses all the scupts of the board game, it is a safe assumption.

I had not heard that, so yep. That pretty much confirms that. If Wizkids can re-use a sculpt by golly they will!
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:41:05 PM

Thread Necro!

Some of you may know that a second Tactics set came out in late January. It looks cool: they added in the Romulan ships from the Fleet Captains expansion as well as Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, Breen, a few more Klingon and a few more Federation ships. Plus 1 Ferengi ship (I really want some more of those in the future). Anyway, the new actions were enough to get me interested, so I picked up the Tactics II starter and just finished the quick start game. Now, keep in mind that I've never played Heroclix aside from the original Haloclix (which was fairly different).

I thought it was great. It's not 100%, or evem 90%, accurate to ship-to-ship combat but honestly I don't really care about that. It's more of a beer n pretzels game than a combat simulator, and I like that a lot. If I want to play a "simulationist" (Oh, I HATE using that term) Star Trek game I'll go for Fleet Captains (That game captures the essence of Star Trek from everything I've heard. Can't wait for my copy to get here!). The ships look AMAZING and so do the maps. I had the same thought as Sithborg, I'll be phasing out the unpainted minis in Fleet Captains for these slowly. Anyway, I recommend the game if you're not looking for something along the lines of Starfeet Battles. It's good fun. ThumpUp
Ewokbarber
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:01:03 PM

"Get off my bridge!!" hehe