RegisterDonateLogin

The other Chosen One.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Discussion: Peaceful City Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:14:30 PM
Groups: Member

OK, here's a map from the terrific Map Pack 4: Fortresses and Strongholds, released by Jedi Cartographer and Armored Gear in 2010. In my opinion, if you want to pick up some great maps quickly, grabbing a copy of Map Pack 4 is the easiest way, as 5 of the 8 maps are currently on the restricted list, and run the gamut from melee-friendly maps like Asteroid Base to shooter-friendly maps like this one. I'm not sure where you can find a copy, as Miniature Market recently ran out (although they still have two of the individual maps).

Made by: Armored Cartographer
Year of Release: 2010
Current Status: Restricted List A

- what do you like about this map?
- what squads does it suit?
- which side do you normally choose?
- a memorable game on this map?
- and anything else you want to talk about

Here's a list of Armored Cartographer products currently available at Miniature Market: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/manufacturer?manufacturer=381
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:22:53 PM

Another map I havem't gotten yet, so I'll pipe down. One question, though. I rmember reading reecently in thre forums that one of the statues is General Dodonna (and I recognise the sculpt). Who ae the other two?
DonStamos
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:47:40 PM

The bottom one is Garm Bel Iblis.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:19:52 PM

I think Peaceful City is one of the more shooter-friendly maps available. I like the gambit layout - there are some interesting walls and cover in there.

My most memorable game on this was against Mike Moore Smuggler, playing 150 points, in the final round of HaweraCon2012 with places in the final on the line. I was playing the IG-88s with Ganner and he was playing a Mandalore the Vindicated/Training Sergeant squad. Because of Battle Ready, he was able to get into gambit quickly, and the game turned into a big firefight between his evading Vindicated in cover in gambit and my IG-88s on the street on the left side. He wasn't hitting my fodder very well, so my IG-88s outlasted Vindicated, but it was tense and exciting
AndyHatton
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:49:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Statues are Mon Mothma, Dodonna, and Garm. I just like this map. I like the design, art, flavor (for instance the statues, I brought that up in the other thread, I love those statues.) I've played quite a few games on this map but none are coming immediately to mind. I do love that little room in the middle it has always lead to some interesting fighting and movement in and out and around that room.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:58:15 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
The Statues are Mon Mothma, Dodonna, and Garm. I just like this map. I like the design, art, flavor (for instance the statues, I brought that up in the other thread, I love those statues.) I've played quite a few games on this map but none are coming immediately to mind. I do love that little room in the middle it has always lead to some interesting fighting and movement in and out and around that room.

The final battle (Confrontation scenario) in our 4-skirmish Clone Wars campaign was on this map:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844861/clone-wars-campaign-44-final-confrontation-with-pi

(Probably the most work I've ever put into a write-up.)

I like this map. It's a map where door control certainly helps, but with the streets being wide open and so many doors into the center building, a true lockout is unlikely to happen.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 3:43:54 AM

My group likes this map, and it is special to us because we were effectively the first to see it. Matt attended our Pa/Md regional and brought 7 one-sided laminated copies of it to donate as prize support. I like it because while it is shooter friendly, it's not too 'shooty'. Door control matters but you can access gambit without it. In addition to it's playability, I like the artwork as well.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 12:16:30 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I think Peaceful City is one of the more shooter-friendly maps available. I like the gambit layout - there are some interesting walls and cover in there.

Shooter friendly but from what I can see not shooter dominated. The distance from cvoer to cover (say, from insie one of the four corner buildings to behind the center building ) isn't too large, meaning that melee peices can get across and to the enemy in relative safety. Is this accurate?
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 12:32:32 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:

The final battle (Confrontation scenario) in our 4-skirmish Clone Wars campaign was on this map:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844861/clone-wars-campaign-44-final-confrontation-with-pi

(Probably the most work I've ever put into a write-up.)

I like this map. It's a map where door control certainly helps, but with the streets being wide open and so many doors into the center building, a true lockout is unlikely to happen.

I had a weird feeling that HK-47 was apart of the battle but I couldn't remember a droid squad you would have played, now I remember thank you. That right there was one of my favorite games. The tension between the Rex/Grievous fight was great.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:23:43 AM

corranhorn wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Shooter friendly but from what I can see not shooter dominated. The distance from cvoer to cover (say, from insie one of the four corner buildings to behind the center building ) isn't too large, meaning that melee peices can get across and to the enemy in relative safety. Is this accurate?

I would say yes. I know that this is one of the preferred maps of Mace players.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:19:59 PM

I've never really liked this map very much...it's a bit too shooty for my tastes. An opponent's Cloaked/Stealth shooters are very hard to track down, but they can be harassing your pieces all game long. A good thing is that there are multiple ways to advance your pieces. And if you are playing a melee-focused squad, then you can start from the left and park a piece in gambit fairly easily in the first round, thereby forcing your opponent to come after you with his shooters...at least, that's how it works in theory.
dreadtech
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:25:37 AM

I have used this map and very much like its design. I remember losing on this map twice in a row, did not roll above 5 all night, what can you do? Sad Still as a map I do like it and hope to use it again some time. For the most part though we tend to use this in themed battle, no reel reason for that, just that is how it is I guess.

I tend to start on the left, We tend to place the maps how you have it in your picture so I am always starting on the left side because that's just the way our seating arrangements are and for no other reason.

"I've never really liked this map very much...it's a bit too shooty for my tastes."

True, probably why I like it BigGrin
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:07:39 AM

I like this map a lot. And as Minitank, Darth O and spryguy1981 know, so does my Darth Caedus, Sith Lord squad. Immortality knows no bounds. BigGrin

I like how there are mulitple ways to approach the opponent and its not a completely shooter friendly map. It gives melee squads a fair chance to compete and do well.