RegisterDonateLogin

Many Bothans died to bring us this Milk...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SW LCG by FFG Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 1:41:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new star wars fantasy flight living card game? I play the Lord of the Rings LCG and love it. I have heard very mixed reviews for the star wars one, and wanted to see if any bloomilkers have given it a try before the of crapshoot of $40 to pick up the box set.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:07:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I really, really like it. If you can get your head around the abstractions of the battles (no seperation between starships, vehicles, and characters), there is a very fascinating game with a lot of strategic choices per turn.

The pod based deckbuilding is something that takes some getting used to. I can understand how that is a big detriment to those used to crafting your deck down to the last card. Personally, the biggest issue I have with it is how it essentially slows down the game expanding in the expansions. Once the two bigger expanions and two Force Pack cycles are out towards the end of the year, it won't be a big issue.

And at the very least, the art is AMAZING.

In the end, it isn't perfect, but I am just in love with how the game plays, theme be blasteded. The game is quick, and a lot of choices to be made with the cards you draw. I'm going to be picking up a 2nd core for better deckbuilding options (which is a huge improvement over the other LCGs, which requires a 3rd for full playsets of all cards).
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:43:22 PM

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. the simplification of deckbuilding will make it more likely that my SO will get sucked in.

I'm the opposite though. I don't mind simplification, but I like options (why I love the star wars saga rpg). do you feellike there are options for deck building, I know each side gets 3 factions. what more control do you have beyond that?
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 4:45:08 PM

The choices with one core is fairly limited, and even with two, you have roughly 18 different objective sets or pods to build your deck from. Standard decks require 10 pods, with a limit of 2x per objective set. I think it will be a bit before there are enough pods to really make it feel unlimited. As is, with 2 cores, I think there is a good half dozen good options for each side. I don't have my 2 cores yet, so I haven't experimented with deckbuilding yet. The 4 preconstructed decks are good by themselves, imo.

It may seem simplistic on the surface, but the pods do have more subtle decisions as you look in. A good example is the Shadows of Dathomir pod. Nightsisters are really good. A Disturbance of the Force is pretty good too. Hand's Blessing has some limited uses. And the Rancor is bad. With how quickly units can die in this game, it will quickly turn on you if you aren't careful. So in order for me to get those great Nightsisters, I have to take a few cards I don't like as well. That is where it has really rubbed players used to normal deck building the wrong way. Luckily, with the hand refill and ways to dump you hand, it isn't a major obstacle. It's just not the finely tuned deck most are used to.

The objective is also another example of a great example of something I really like. It can generate 2 resources, but in order to do that, you have to give it 2 focus tokens. You essentially tap it twice. However, you only "untap" a card once per turn, normally. So you can use it to it's fullest to bring out a big gun. But you lose access to it's resources for 1 turn to fully clear it. Very important decision to be made.
Biggsy
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:31:34 AM
Groups: Member

I'm likely going to jump right in and buy two core sets sometime in the near future. I watched the video tutorials (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=175&esem=4#video), and was instantly hooked. The game just looks like it's tons of fun, with a fast and seemingly simple gameplay.
The podbased deckbuilding is actually a plus for me, as i don't have to spend hours finetuning the deck in detail. This way you can easily throw a deck together whenever you feel like it. Once we have enough expansions though, there will be plenty of options and combos. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it!
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:27:04 PM

I was thinking about picking this up soon. I've never played an LCG but this looks fun and (added bonus!) it is Star Wars. curious if people are still enjoying it?
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:45:57 PM

I played it for an afternoon, and it was a blast. Granted, it was just the starter decks, as I don't have the second core for true deckbuilding potential.

Though it turns out I played it a little wrong, but I had a Red Two finish off my opponent's 3 objectives before he could win the next turn. It was awesome.

And with the previews they have shown. I can't wait for the expansions.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:59:32 PM

I'm excited to give it a try, and I've heard a lot of people say getting 2 core sets is good for more competitive and diverse decks so if I like it I'd consider grabbing another one as well. And while I love Jedi, I'm looking forward to the expansion of the "seedier" elements both for Light Side and Dark Side. And I've heard a lot of people say that it is often pretty close and comes down to the wire which I like! Adds some nice tension to know that it could still be anyone's game.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:12:54 PM

Turn arounds can happen. I love how strategic the gameplay is. There are so many choices in a turn. The Edge Battles, committing to the force, full assault on one objective or spread out. The mains are nasty when they come out, but not game ending. Honestly, the one real run away game that day happened mainly due to a play error I did. Some might've seen a bad hand killed me, but it was definately how I played the cards which cost me the game.

Sadly for you, the Smuggler & Spies (light) and Scum & Villiany (dark) are somewhat gimped in the starter. Only one objective set, while both powerful (Fett is nasty with his armor, and Han shooting first is extremely deadly) do not make a complete deck with just those factions. There is a big expansion, Edge of Darkness that will essentially add two starter decks for those factions, kind of like the core set's 4 starters. But they will be getting some support in the Hoth Cycle Force Packs, which start coming out next month (hopefully early).

My only worry is that they might be tweaking the LCG tradition with the big expansions. The Edge of Darkness expansion would traditionally have come out with playsets of the cards, but instead is only coming with one of each set, necessitating 2 purchases for playsets. It is necessary, because as much as I like the pod based deckbuilding, it slows the evolution of the game, with less deck diversity. I will still gladly buy the second one, just a big annoying.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 5:20:11 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Turn arounds can happen. I love how strategic the gameplay is. There are so many choices in a turn. The Edge Battles, committing to the force, full assault on one objective or spread out. The mains are nasty when they come out, but not game ending. Honestly, the one real run away game that day happened mainly due to a play error I did. Some might've seen a bad hand killed me, but it was definately how I played the cards which cost me the game.

Sadly for you, the Smuggler & Spies (light) and Scum & Villiany (dark) are somewhat gimped in the starter. Only one objective set, while both powerful (Fett is nasty with his armor, and Han shooting first is extremely deadly) do not make a complete deck with just those factions. There is a big expansion, Edge of Darkness that will essentially add two starter decks for those factions, kind of like the core set's 4 starters. But they will be getting some support in the Hoth Cycle Force Packs, which start coming out next month (hopefully early).

My only worry is that they might be tweaking the LCG tradition with the big expansions. The Edge of Darkness expansion would traditionally have come out with playsets of the cards, but instead is only coming with one of each set, necessitating 2 purchases for playsets. It is necessary, because as much as I like the pod based deckbuilding, it slows the evolution of the game, with less deck diversity. I will still gladly buy the second one, just a big annoying.

I've heard people talk about how Vader and Palpatine are scary, but not unbeatable which is good.

Yeah I was a little bummed when I saw that Smugglers & Spies and Scum & Villainy were lightly represented in the Core Set. (Granted Boba and Han both seem awesome, and you seem to confirm that BigGrin) I mean I'm really really excited for Jedi and Sith, and a little less so for Imperial and Rebel Fleets. I 100% understand why they are the main ones in there they just don't align with my tastes. (Or rather my tastes for the game, I think the problem is I play X-wing so I get my ship combat fix there.) From what I've seen from the Core Sets I was actually interested in trying to do a mostly Jedi Deck and then splash in Han with Smugglers. But maybe that is just because I like Jedi and Han Solo a lot haha.

This is my first experience with LCGs and I like them in theory but I did think it was other that a second big-box was coming out as I didn't think that is how it worked. The only thing I really know about it is that it will have Smugglers and Scum, is it essentially just Core Set 2 with a Focus on the other factions and only a few Jedi, Rebels, Imperials, and Sith? And Once the First Hoth pack comes out (this month or next) they are monthly packs for each cycle right, and then after that cycle is done is there usually a break between cycles?
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 5:51:19 PM

Yup, that's about the extent of the LCG model. Although, it turns out that they started the big boxes with 2 expansions a year, so it actually isn't off for them to do this. I just hope the multiplayer expansion comes with playsets.

I love the LCG model. It isn't too cost prohibitive, especially if you start fresh. $15 a month for an expansion is easy to handle.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 6:28:42 PM

Ok cool, thanks for the info! A multiplayer expansion? I'm excited for that, I really like Multiplayer card games.

I think next time I stop my local comics/gaming shop I'll have to see if they have it in stock and pick it up. I like the LCG model as well, and now seems like a great time to get in with just the Core Set out. And $15 a month is so easy to swallow plus I love that there isn't any "luck" invovled, you know exactly what you are getting. I'm excited now haha
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 6:12:21 AM

I have played through 3 times now with the girl, and eat time a i learn a little more how i've screwed myself out of victory by missing key rules (like that capturing objectives moves the DS Dial).

Anyhow, my review after this slow and erroneous play through experience: I love it and recommend it.

its a very strategic game. From the start of the round to the end of the round, i feel like every option has a huge impact on the game. Do I use resources now knowing it will tie them up next round? Do I put more units in play? Doing so reduces my card pool for the edge battle later. Do I attack or keep units to defend? If I attack/defend, how does that effect the balance of the force phase? Its like there are all these vital checks being made, and its really hard to play to them all strong, so you have to pick and chose your battles. I think its great and cant wait to see what else it only has to offer (i've only played the imperial navy deck, and the girl bounced back and forth between the rebels and jedi).