RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Discussion: Cloud City Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 12:42:57 PM
Groups: Member

This map came out in Rebel Storm Ultimate Missions, and I think it's generally been accepted as a balanced map and been on the Restricted List as long as there's been a restricted map.

Made by: Wizards of the Coast
Year of Release: 2004
Current Status: Restricted List A

- what do you like about this map?
- what squads does it suit?
- which side do you normally choose?
- a memorable game on this map?
- and anything else you want to talk about

I don't own a copy and I've only ever played on this once - I like it though. I remember stories of an Engineer Nute Gunray squad doing well on it.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:59:56 PM

I've never played on it but it looks nice. Well balanced and not too shooty.
leshippy
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 7:42:27 PM

Not one of my favorites. limited starting area on the right side.

most memorable game; as a judge seeing lobo stelee lose in the finals of the first Cincy Regional. He got his R2AM picked off in round one and everyone knew about it.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 7:59:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Agree with Les's point.

It's not too bad once you get out of the starting areas.
Stormtrooper
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:31:41 AM

I love this map.

It's different and has a couple of long vent corridors that can be interesting to use. A big problem with it is that large and Rigid minis will find this map very difficult or even impossible to fight on, which, I believe, is why it was a restricted map. The long vent corridors are only one square wide so a large or huge melee mini, like an Imperial Sentinel, could never get at a small or medium shooter hiding in the vents. Rigid huge minis would find the map almost impossible to maneuver on.

So, great map for scenario use, but definately not for tourniment use, unless you warn players beforehand that any large, huge, or rigid minis they bring may be useless.
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:47:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I find that override and cloaked shooters have a really strong advantage on this one. While the right side does have limited starting space, they're hard to reach from left attackers due to all the low objects and difficult terrain on the landing pad. A few cloaked shooters and someone who can keep the door open makes that middle section a no-man's-land.

I do like the map though. In my experience though, the carbonite chamber sees little to no play. I think because the ventilation shafts are so restrictive on space.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:59:02 AM

This is one of my favorite maps. There are a couple of long lines of sight, but it is very easy to get your squad up into gambit via multiple paths, and from there to stage an attack on your opponent's pieces...also, don't forget the narrow hallway at the top of the map: in my experience it has been used from both sides to execute some game-changing maneuvers!

You definitely want to bring some door control on this map because it has a number of critical doors. If this is your map in a tournament, you can plan on playing from the "right" side at least 90% of the time because your opponent will almost always take the left side. In my experience, almost all of the action seems to take place in the north half of the map close to the center.