RegisterDonateLogin

Is a Sith legend.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

LowerHuttACon13 - 6 April 2013 Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:32:05 PM
Groups: Member

LowerHuttACon is the second biggest event in the Save11 Calendar - last year we had 14 players, and we're hoping for about 16 this year. It's a 200 point constructed tournament, and the newest sets, Galactic Heroes and the Old Republic will be legal.

The tournament will be held in Taita, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. Registrations start at 1pm, the tournament starts at 2pm. If you're in New Zealand (or willing to fly!) and want more details, PM me.

We are using Restricted Map List B, so the six legal maps are:
Rancor Pen
Jabba’s Palace
Anchorhead
Cantina
Cliffside Citadel
Simulation Deck

First prize is a Felcor, while there are nice new Christopher West maps for 2nd and 3rd place.

You can see the tournament results from last year here: http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10698 Last year the Top 5 was dominated by Vong and Mace squads, but I'm expecting a more diverse meta this year.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 5:28:01 PM

So this event is about to start I hear, and if anyone hears anything about squads being ran could we please update this? I heard that there are about 17 people there... So thats a start..

1.Confirmed Sighting of a Naboo Trooper Squad

Can't wait to see some of this stuff!
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:24:50 AM

I'll post a bigger report in a day or two, but to confirm:

- we had 18 players
- the tournament was won by Dr Daman, running his Strike the Right Corde squad (Thrawn, Cad Bane, Morrigan Corde, Pellaeon at http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/126993/strike-the-right-corde). It was a good reward for a player who's put in a lot of work over the last year or two, and good to see a mostly non v-set squad win.
- other top 4 squads: Cad Bane Bounty Hunter/IG-88s/Poggle Bombs in 2nd, a Sith squad featuring Malgus/HK-47/Bandon/Exar FS, and another Cad Bane Bounty Hunter squad finished equal on points for 3rd and 4th and we need to go back and work out the tie break.
- faction breakdown:
Old Republic: 1
Separatist: 3
Republic: 4
Sith: 4
Yuuzhan Vong: 3 (all performed pretty solidly, all quite different)
New Republic: 2
Imperial: 1
- there was one Naboo Pilot squad, that finished about mid table
- there were two Caedus squads, and neither finished higher than 14th
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:22:16 AM

Awesome sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on the win Dr. can't wait for more info.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:10:37 AM

Wow.... No Rebel or Mandos ran AT ALL!?!?! That is insane. 3 Vong tho, I like to see that. Sith and Republic with 4, but I'm really curious as to who and what was ran with the otherr 3 Sith squads?

Thanks you TheHutts for the update, any and all information, play reports, and complete squad build would be much appreciated!
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:13:33 AM

OK - I totally have insomnia tonight, so here is my play report. I ran a janky Sith squad based around the new Darth Malgus:
--School Bullies--
72 Darth Malgus, The False Emperor
39 HK-47, Assassin Droid
27 Darth Bandon
27 Lobot
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
12 Mouse Droid x4
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

It obviously has issues against Vong and Ysalamari, and I would back Mace to beat it most of the time too, but I enjoyed it in play-testing so decided to bring it along.

Round 1: vs d0bbo, New Republic (new 48 point Luke, Cade Skywalker, Jarael, Marn) on Anchorhead
This ended up my easiest match of the day - my squad does excel at picking apart squads consisting of a handful of uniques and isolating them one at a time. I bought in a Klat Assassin, Camaasi, and Mouse Droid with Lobot. After some positioning, Malgus used Face Your Destiny on Cade - Jarael tried to base Malgus so that Cade didn't have to, but ate a crit from the Klat Assassin in the process, and didn't make it, so Cade had to lose his turn and go into thick of the action. Alan won initiative, and Force Pushed with Cade, injuring himself as well, but then got shot up by HK-47. Ended up only losing the Klat Reinforcement, and things were looking promising. 3-0

Round 2: vs Sharron, Seps (IG-88s, Cad Bane Bounty Hunter, Poggle Bombs) on Jabba's Palace
Sharron and I played the LowerHuttACon final last year, coincidentally also on Jabba's Palace. I was feeling happy about the matchup, as I thought disruptive would tip it in my favour, but I stupidly left HK-47 in a long lane of fire at the end of round 1. Sharron's shooters cleaned him and his bodyguard up gleefully, and really that was game right there. Malgus got surrounded by Poggle Bombs, then Cad did cleanup. Still 3-0

Round 3: vs Stuart, Yuuzhan Vong (Nen Yim, 6 Workers, Zam Wessell, Nom Anor, Czerka, Subaltern) on Anchorhead
This was an unconventional squad, using Nom Anor as a primary attacker, but it was actually effective enough. Again, I was happy having disruptive in my squad, and again my disruptive died early, after an Ugnaught and HK-47 both failed missile saves, then HK-47 got twinned by Nom. I fought back, with Momaw Nadon cleaning out the Czerka and most of the bombs, and Malgus pulled in Zam. I thought that was game, but it was surprisingly tight at the end with Nom Anor and the Subaltern putting up a good fight and almost pulling out an unlikely win. 6-0

Round 4: vs Mike Moore Smuggler, Republic (Jorus, Qui-Gon Jinn JM, Anakin Chosen One, 9 Younglings, Amidala) on Cantina
Do you know how depressing it is having your main beatstick getting Force Gripped to pieces by a swarm of 4 point pieces with Mobile. It's terrible. After being wiped off the table and packing up my pieces, I had a look at Jorus' card, and realised that the Younglings shouldn't have been subject to Master Mind Meld (it's for uniques only). This sparked a big debate, and Mike eventually graciously conceded that he'd gained an unfair advantage in several games with misinterpreting his squad, and several games, including this one, were awarded a 2 point win. It's one of those messy situations that leaves noone happy though. 8-0

Round 5: vs kfswaitingforyou, Old Republic (IG-88s, Satele, Lobot, Bastila) on Anchorhead
I thought this one would be easy, but with Malgus losing Bandon's CE, and the droids having shields, it took a long time to chew through them. I couldn't play the clinical one-victim at a time style that I wanted to, and only a valiant effort from MVP Dr Evazan pulled this game out for me - he made an Avoid Defeat once, and Malgus made it twice, while he also put some direct damage on Satele. 11-0

With that record I ended up in 3rd or 4th place - we have to go back and calculate the tie-breakers. It was the first time I haven't made the final of a Major tournament in New Zealand that I've competed in, but really I didn't deserve to make it - one convincing loss, one technical win, and two seat-of-my pants scrambled wins are not performances that merited a place in the final imo, and in any case my squad would have really struggled against Dr Daman's well-oiled Morrigan Corde squad. I was happy with a top 4 finish - it was a fun squad to play, and most of my games only took half an hour, which was helpful since I was administrating the tournament as well.

It was super exciting to have 18 players show up - it shows a nice growth in the game. Kez also deserves kudos for his Star Wars Miniatures open day - he had a bunch of interested players looking at the game and wandering though before the tournament started. I think, looking at last year's results, we've come a long way - there was a nice mix of swarm squads, paper squads, rock squads, and all sorts - last year it was all Mace and Jedi Hunter squads in the top spots. It's weird being first big tournament of the new set too - normally I scour the Regional results looking for patterns in the meta, but I couldn't do that this time.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:15:36 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Wow.... No Rebel or Mandos ran AT ALL!?!?! That is insane. 3 Vong tho, I like to see that. Sith and Republic with 4, but I'm really curious as to who and what was ran with the otherr 3 Sith squads?

Thanks you TheHutts for the update, any and all information, play reports, and complete squad build would be much appreciated!

I guess one of two factions are always going to miss out in getting run in an 18 squad tournament. I was fully expecting some Mandos to show up though - Kelborn's awesome, new, and exciting.

Apart from Malgus, the other 3 Sith squads all finished in the bottom five: one was the Vergere/Malgus/Caedus combo, one was Caedus/Sith Bastila/Bandon, and one was Nihilus and Zannah.

With Republic, there was a neat Klat Assassin deathshot squad that finished mid-table.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:32:09 AM

Klat DDeath Shots? Interesting for sure. And I'm with you, I really thought Kelborn would show up at all Regionals... I guess our attention now turns to Michigan... Any way to get complete squad lists from the attendees?
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 10:40:48 PM

OK - here are full squad lists too. The order for players tied on points isn't exact - we had a few complications with the system, so some strength of schedule tie-breaks still need finalising. Note that in NZ tournaments, we award 1 point to the loser if they make it to 100 points. We didn't actually play the planned final, as we had to vacate the building, and both players were happy that Dr Daman would be able to win the final as he did with the pool game between the two top players:

13 points:
Dr Daman:
Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Pellaeon
Morrigan Corde
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

12 points:
Sharron:
Separatist
Cad Bane BH
IG-88A
IG-88 Assassin
Poggle
10 bombs
San Hill
Lobot

11 points:
TheHutts
Sith
Malgus
HK-47 AD
Bandon
Lobot
Mouse * 4
Ugnaught * 3

bevj21:
Separatist
Aurra
Cad
Grievous
Hondo
Lobot
R7
Ug
Mice * 3

9 points:
Darth O:
New Republic
IG-88A
Mara Jade Jedi
IG88 Assassin
Ganner
Dodonna
R7
Mouse*3
Rodian
Ugnaught

Mike Moore Smuggler
Republic
Youngling * 9
Spaarti * 2
R7
R2
Jorus
QG JM
Anakin Chosen One
Amidala
Rodian
Mouse Droid

8 points:
kezzamachine:
Yuuzhan Vong
Sheodai
Quorreal
Nei Rin
YV JH
YV JH
Fanatic
Yammosk
Zonoma * 2
Lobot

kfcswaitingforyou:
Old Republic
Bastila
Satele
IG-88A
IG-88 Assassin Droids
R7
Ugnaught
Lobot

7 points:
Ian
Republic:
Mon Mothma
Panaka of Theed
Klat Capt
Queen Amidala
Admiral Yularen
Naboo * 8
R2-D2
Rodian
Spaarti * 2

Henko:
Yuuzhan Vong
Fanatic
Advance Agent Officer
Warmaster Nas Choka
Yammosk
YV Ossus Guardian
Jedi Hunter
Nen Yim
Priest
Ugnaught

6 points:
Alex:
Republic
Mon Mothma
Admiral Yularen
Lobot, CLO
Jabba Crime Lord
Klat Assassin * 9
Mas
Ugnaught * 3

dobbo:
New Republic
Luke GH
Jarael
Cade BH
Dodonna
Marn
Yoda FS
Ponda
Ugnaught

5 points:
Stuart:
Yuuzhan Vong
Worker * 6
Nom Anor
Nen Yim
Czerka
Agent Officer
Ugnaught
Domain Subaltern
Zam Wesell

4 points:
Glyn:
Republic
GOWK
Master Yoda
Dark Woman
Qui-Gon FS
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
R4
Spaarti * 2
Ugnaught
Mako

Danny:
Sith
Sith Bastila
Darth Caedus
Wyllrok
Exar DFS
4 Recruits
R7
Ugnaught

3 points:
savagerancor:
Sith
Darth Caedus
Darth Malgus
Squib
2 Recruits
R7
Vergere
Ragnos

2 points:
Baz:
Sith
Nihilus
Zannah
Traya
Marka Ragnos DFS
R7
Sith Recruit * 3
Mous * 2

Dan:
Separatist
Grievous HoH
Cad Bane BH
Lobot
Savage
Nightsister
Camaasi
Ug *2
Mouse
Camaasi
Salacious
Ug * 2
rafufu
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:02:23 AM

I decided to run the Klat Assassins deathsquad army. I had played it a few times and it seemed to be very reliable against anything that I came up against. I think the Klat Assassins are one of the best pieces in the game. For just 12 points you get +12 attack and 20 damage. The low health and defense are easily fixed with the cloaked special ability. The Self-destruct seemed to be crying out for a deathshot squad, and with access to Yularen and Mon Mothma, Republic seemed like the best place for them. One of my favourite aspects of the squad is the ability to play really aggressively, as deathshot makes the squad very forgiving to the many many tactical and positional errors I am likely to make BigGrin

This was my first proper tournament, so I was really excited to get in and play. I set my expectations very low and decided just to have as much fun as possible!

-Fatty and Friends-
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
15 Lobot, CLO
15 Jabba Crime Lord
12 Klatooinian Assassin x9
8 Mas Amedda
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Round 1: Dr Daman (Thrawn, Ozzel, Morrigan, Cad Bane) on Cantina.
When I first looked at this squad I thought it would be a fairly close match-up, as there was only 2 real sources of damage. Oh how wrong I was! With Ozzel and a large number of cheap swap targets, I was out activated every round, leaving me totally helpless. Dr Daman brought in an Amanin Scout with Lobot, who just Wheel Form'd and Wall Climber'd past my entire army and into the back line. This was followed by a Thrawn swap putting Cad Bane in prime position to take out Yularen and Mas Amedda. That set the tone for the rest of the game. Despite managing to bring in a Senate Commando with Mon Mothma, I was left picking off any swap fodder I could, while the untouchable Cad Bane ignored the Klat Assassins and just picked off the command team for the simple win on points.

Round 2: Dan (Cad Bane BH, Grievous HoH, Savage Oppress, Nightsister) on Anchorhead.
I felt much better against this squad, melee force users are by far my best match-up. I used the early rounds to pick off the support pieces while making sure my squad was positioned well enough to avoid Spinning Blade from Grievous and Furious Assault from Cad Bane. Eventually Dan was forced to commit Savage and Grievous before they died from the constant damage output. Grievous managed to take out one Klat Assassin with Spinning Blade, but the 20 damage from self-destruct followed by the 50 damage deathshot was enough to take him down too. Savage took down another Klat Assassin but suffered the same fate as Grievous. That left me in a strong enough position to push forwards aggressively and pin down Cad Bane and the Nightsister for the win. My first 3 points!

Round 3: bevj21 (Aurra, Grievous, Hondo, Cad Bane BH) on Cliffside Citadel.
This was a very contentious match, and I apologize if I sound bitter. At the start of the day we were informed that there was an error with this map. A large section near the centre is supposed to be a pit, but is not marked as such. So we all agreed that we would treat it as a pit. However, there is another error with the map that went completely unnoticed. There is a wall that is not correctly marked just to the left and below the Reception Hall, connected to a door, which came into play in a big way. Anyway, onto the game. I started out well enough, with us fighting over control of the centre room. I lost an uggie and Lobot to early accurate shots, but managed to blow both doors and take out 6 mouse droids as well as Grievous, losing only 3 Assassins in return. I spent the next turn trading Aurra for a Klat Assassin and backing away from Cad Bane, who's combination of Sniper, Furious Assault, Twin and Flight was proving very troublesome. It was here that the map error came into effect. Bevj21 managed to fly Cad Bane onto the unmarked wall sqaure, which gave him vision of 3 Klat Assassins for his Furious Assault, rather than only having vision of 1 unless he chose to be adjacent to 2. Anyway he took the 3 of them down, only eating 1 death shot for 40 damage due to a very well placed Salacious Crumb who took the other 2 shots. Hondo and Cad Bane then proved too strong for the rest of my army. I don't wish to take anything away from bevj21, who played really well and probably would have beaten me anyway!

Round 4: kfcswaitingforyou (Bastila, Satele, IG-88's) on Cantina
Ugh, I knew from the start that I'd struggle with game. With Bastila turned I was relying on the base 20 damage from the Klat Assassins, while everyone else stood around doing very little. I managed to slowly plug away at the IG's and Satele, and despite 2 successful Force Absorbs from Satele, she went down fairly fast. Yularen made a cameo appearance for an attempted opportunist +20 attack, but missed horribly and was shot to pieces. In the end though the pair of IG's proved too much, and with Bastila still having another round left in her, the round timed out. I did better than I thought I would, with Satele and IG-88 AD dead and IG-88A left on 40hp. But I had lost a close game by around 40 points.

Round 5: Savagerancor (Caedus, Malgus, Vergere) on Cliffside Citadel
Bit of a strange match, as we both knew we were pretty far down the placings. It was a very light-hearted game with mistakes aplenty from both of us. We were also under a fair bit of time pressure due to the event running around 90 minutes behind! After Vergere died early for no reply and Malgus was taken below half health with a self-destruct + deathshot combo, Savagerancor decided to concede the game. Another 3 points!

I finished with 2 wins, a loss to the #1 squad on the day, a close game against the worst possible match-up, and a game marred by a map error. This was enough to put me in 10th place, which is about 8 places higher than I expected to finish! I was pretty happy with the result, and look forward to my next chance to play in a tournament.

I want to say a massive thank-you to TheHutts for organising all the rounds, and to Kezzamachine for inviting me and setting up the whole event!
AndyHatton
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:25:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thank you as always for the play reports, they are always very interesting to read and sounds like a great tournament! Plus very interesting to see what folks are thinking about with GH pieces.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:14:42 PM

rafufu wrote:
I decided to run the Klat Assassins deathsquad army. I had played it a few times and it seemed to be very reliable against anything that I came up against. I think the Klat Assassins are one of the best pieces in the game. For just 12 points you get +12 attack and 20 damage. The low health and defense are easily fixed with the cloaked special ability. The Self-destruct seemed to be crying out for a deathshot squad, and with access to Yularen and Mon Mothma, Republic seemed like the best place for them. One of my favourite aspects of the squad is the ability to play really aggressively, as deathshot makes the squad very forgiving to the many many tactical and positional errors I am likely to make BigGrin

Thanks for the report - I really liked your squad, and I was glad that I didn't have to play against it, 2-3 is a good effort in your first big tournament.
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 4:39:42 AM

So i was told by Sharron that I had to run a Thrawn swap squad for this tournament. I really enjoy playing those squads, but in previous tournaments I've played mostly Republic as the new pieces that had just come out just looked fun. Having just won our Vassal tournament I wasn't too worried about running something I thought was super competitive and just wanted to have fun playing the pieces i love so much. Turns out it was a good thing to do. I looked at the new pieces that V-set 5 introduced and started to try forming a squad I thought wouldn't get wiped off the table and still had a bit of an edge. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with anything I liked. So I decided to use my Strike the Right Corde squad which I designed a few months back. It's obviously a take on the classic Stealth and Blue but with Morrigan instead of Arica and some tweaking to get Pellaeon in there. I like Morrigan more than Arica for a few reasons. She can put out more unavoidable damage than Arica and has a built in movement breaker. So this is how it went.....

Round 1: Rafufu (Mon Mothma, Yularen, Jabba CL, 9 Klat Assdassins) On Cantina.
Reinforcements: Amanin, Rodian Brute and a Gran Raider
When I saw this squad across the table, my hopes of having a good start looked like they'd take a big hit. Cloaked shooters that SD and had deathshot v's my 2 shooters was going to be very hard as basing them wasn't an option. My only hope was to use my massive movement to get into his back line and destroy his commanders. I lost map roll so we used Rafuf's Cantina map. I deferred set-up to react to his placement (in hind-sight i should have taken the left to negate his cover) and ended up on the right. Round 1 was moving pieces into position and Rafufu slowly made his way into the cantina. Round 2 was when the action happened. I started moving towards the top corridor to where his Mas was but i still left an option for getting to the middle of the cantina. After he'd moved all his pieces (and moving Mas out from the proposed threat) I made my move. The amanin rolled 18 squares towards the back of the cantina and thrawn swapped Cad in to kill Mas and CLObot, taking away his door control and CE range. after that it was a case of getting as far in as possible to hit the commanders. I knew I wasn't going to get 3 points so eventually settled for 2. Rafufu had a great squad and I think I was quite lucky to beat him as this was a terror match up had he been more aggressive. 2 Points

Round 2: Darth O (IG-88A, IG-88 AD, Mara Jedi, Ganner, Dodonna) on Jabba's Palace
Reinforcements: Amanin, Rodian Brute and a Gran Raider
This was the 3rd time Darth O and I had faced off in the last month or so. We played each other in the Vassal Swiss round and again in the final. Both times I fell like I was lucky to win, but that's just how the dice fall I guess. Seeing a squad with only a few big hitter like mine, I figured I had a really good chance here. Darth O had 12 acts and Dodonna but i had 17 with Ozzel, so I was always gonna out act him. I started on the right giving me the better door control options. In round 1 was where i was hoping to make my big move in all my games and this game started perfectly for me. Darth O moved his pieces around while I just hung back and tapped most of mine. He decided to run Mara into gambit towards the end of round. I used a Rodian to open the top door in the Grand Atrium, then ran the Aminan up to Mara to base her and swapped in Cad. Needing to not roll 1's, he dispatched her and moved away. In the next few rounds, Darth O made some fantastic moves to take out Cad using IG-88AD and Ganner, so I was looking at a 2 point win without my big hitter. Morrigan excelled in the end-game, taking out Ganner and Dodonna and setting up massive points lead that Darth O couldn't over come. Time was called and it was another victory, all be it too close for me. 4 points.

Round 3: Kezzamachine (Shedao Shai, Quorreal, Lobot, Nei Rin, 2 YV JH, Fanatic, Yammosk) on Jabba's Palace
Reinforcements: 5x Rodian brutes and a Caamasi Noble
I looked at this squad and thought my run was over. Kez could bring in quite a reinforcements and almost match my acts if his Zonoma's had LoS. I thought for all money he'd use the yammosk to steal my swap CE, but he stole Ozzel's and i have to say, that was the error that won me this game. Kez set-up on the right and I on the left. Round 1 was a very slow round with each of us moving 1 unit at a time. I out acted Kez by 3 pieces and used them to have Lobot open the Valet Station Door and swap Cad up to take out one of the YV JHs and his YV Ossus Protector. I then moved him behind the caamasi who was blocking the small door, stopping his troops from running up to him and thus saving me from swapping him out first turn of round 2. This gave me a much handier act lead and from then on it was just a matter of out act, swap in Cad or Morrigan and pick of pieces one-by-one. Kez was good enough to start running his pieces up so as to not prolong the game and hand me a 3 pointer. 7 Points

Round 4: Sharron (Cad BH, IG-88A, IG-88AD, Poggle, 10 Drones, San, Lobot) on Jabba's Palace
Reinforcements: 5x Rodian brutes and a Caamasi Noble
Sharron and I had been play testing our squads together for the last month, but we always vowed never to run the squads against each other until we met in competition. We both knew the others squad inside and out so this was going to be the make or break game for me. If I lost, I was probably out. If I won, I'd have a really good chance of taking it out. Sharron used Lobot to bring in the MTB and some mouse droids to negate my Master Tac. I lost map roll, but Sharron was also using Jabba's Palace so this worked out well for me as I got to set up on the right which was my preferred starting end in testing. Round 1 was moving pieces forward. We both had the same number of acts and moved my pieces up and left them all in cover so that CBBH couldn't Furious Assault many if he got the chance. Sharron made one mistake in the first round, putting 2 drones in an easy shooting lane for Cad to swap in, kill them, move back in through the door and have Lobot lock it after him. If I can't take out a big piece on the first round, I will always try and whittle down an opponents acts. Even if it's just one or two 3 point pieces, it makes round two a lot easier to make that big play. In round 2, Sharron started to set up his move for CBBH and IG-88AD. He managed to get an Atrium door unlocked and started to shoot at Morigan. I don't think she made more than 20% of her evade saves all day and this was no exception so she felt the pain a little there. but having out acted Sharron, I swapped Cad in for Morrigan and took some shots at IG-88AD. His shield saves were as bad as my evades, making just one and leaving him on 10HP. Lobot locked the door and that was the end of round 2. Sharron won initiative with the MTB was slowly losing acts from it. He used an Uggie to blow open the door and at this point i knew Morrigan was gone as he could rock CBBH in and FA her and some low cost pieces. So i charged her up to a point where IG-88AD had no cover and finished him off, hoping her evade would see her through. Of course it didn't and IG-88A finished her off easily. Sharron moved a MD in behind CBBH to try protect him with Hostage Shield and I totally didn't see it and ran my Cad towards his to try take him out. The MD failed the HS save and soaked up 40 damage for CBBH leaving him at 40 HP. I moved Cad back inside and into cover but CBBH with his movement chased him down easy. Needing to not roll 1's he hit the first shot then rolled a 1 on the next. Now he could win Int and chase him down for the kill. I swapped Cad out for a Rodian who hit CBBH and just added insult to injury. It was easy for me to chase CBBH down and finish him off and that was pretty much game, with Sharron now out to get as many points as possible. 10 Points

Round 5: Bevj21 (Aurra, Grievous, Hondo, Cad Bane BH) on Jabba's Palace
Reinforcements: Amanin, Uggie and a Gran Raider
Bev's a great player and won our last Major title at HamilCon earlier in the year, but for some reason I always seem to have his number and havent lost to him yet. I won map roll and Bev chose to set up on the right. Round one had Bev bringing his force up to just inside the Atrium doors and me just tapping some pieces waiting for my big chance. After he'd finished moving all his pieces, I ran the Amanin adjacent to the top Atrium door and swapped in Cad who shot Aurra to pieces and moved back towards the centre gambit area. Round 2 saw Bev take a shot at Cad with Hondo but he made his evade save and not having twin hurt him considerably. I waited for Bev to move his pieces around and he managed to form a rather effective Mouse Droid wall to protect Hondo and CBBH. I used Lobot to open the bottom Atrium door and swapped Cad in next to it to take out an unguarded Grievous. Cad then moved away and around a corner, but not far enough, as at the start of round 3 Bev managed to hit him with Hondo and leave him sitting on 40HP. he then guarded Hondo with a MD so I couldn't use Cad to take him out that turn. Cad put some damage on Hondo and then retreated further to save himself from a Furious Assault from CBBH. Bev then used CBBH to base Morrigan and put some damage on her and Pellaeon who I'd bought up. Morrigan put 60 on CBBH to leave him very fragile but it was the last thing she'd do as CBBH finished her off later next round. Round 4 saw my Cad take down Hondo early in the round and that was pretty much the end of it for Bev. I chased CBBH easily and with about 5 mins remaining on the clock Bev called the game. 13 Points

Unfortunately due to time constraints we weren't able to play the final at the venue we were using. As I was taking people home and Sharron (the other finalist) had to also leave we decided to leave it at the points standings which saw me edge him out by one point. All-in-all it was a fantastic day and full credit goes to Graham (TheHutts) for putting together a fantastic tournament with a massive 18 players on the day. Also a huge congrats to Kez who set up a kick-ass open day before the tournament that will hopefully see many more people joining this game I love! It's great to see the game expanding in little old NZ.......... chase usBlooMilk
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 7:28:39 AM

Thanks for all the write ups!

I had a few rules questions.

I read the player running Nom used a Czerka to give him twin. This is impossible with Nen Yim in the squad, since shaper changes your base damage. It would have given him jolt.

Also I read that a player conceded with 5 min to go. I don't know if you do it differently in NZ, but we don't allow anyone to concede after 1/2hr has passed. If a player does then a judge has to make the call to award 2 or 3 pts.
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 11:22:15 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Also I read that a player conceded with 5 min to go. I don't know if you do it differently in NZ, but we don't allow anyone to concede after 1/2hr has passed. If a player does then a judge has to make the call to award 2 or 3 pts.

This was because we were running VERY late and had to vacate the venue asap. Bev had only a few mouse droids and lobot left at this point so there was no way he could touch my pieces and chasing his squad down in the allotted time was inevitable.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 11:33:30 AM

Dr Daman wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

This was because we were running VERY late and had to vacate the venue asap. Bev had only a few mouse droids and lobot left at this point so there was no way he could touch my pieces and chasing his squad down in the allotted time was inevitable.

Ah - OK. Most any judge would have given a 3pt victory there. I partially brought it up so that people know how it is supposed to work, and not think it's ok to just concede without a judge making a call on it.

Was shaper played wrong in the Vong squad? Shaper actually changes base damage, so Nom wouldn't have gotten twin.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 12:45:06 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Was shaper played wrong in the Vong squad? Shaper actually changes base damage, so Nom wouldn't have gotten twin.

Yeah, it was played wrong - I didn't actually think about it. He was actually Master Shaping Nom, so Nom had 30 base damage. In my game against him, the Czerka died after one Nom attack anyway, so it wasn't too big of a deal, but I'm sure it mattered in other games.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 5:17:31 PM

I love all the write ups! Thanks guys and glad to see you had such a successful event.

And Tim, I'm really glad you brought that up about Nom, a Shaper and a Czerka. I would have totally missed that. I was evidently only thinking about the base damage being changed in the case of doubling on a crit and would have played it wrong with a Czerka.
sharron
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 11:06:58 PM

Alright!!!

So, as Dr. D posted before, we had tested our squads intensely for a while, and I loved the new Cad, and found the Ig-88 brothers extremely good to run with him.
I ran my Squad 'Long Road to Ruin' on Jabba's Palace
--Long Road to Ruin--
48 IG-88A
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
43 IG-88, Assassin Droid
27 Lobot
10 San Hill
9 Poggle the Lesser
20 Geonosian Drone x10

Game 1: vs Robin (caedus, malgus, vergere) on Cliffside Citadel
Robin had turned up to the tournament to just watch and enjoy everyone's company, then decided he wanted to play after we urged him to, but didnt have any pieces! so Dr. Daman and I made him a squad(he had no idea what it was until his first game) and it just so happened it was against me! Duly note that Robin and I have played first round for almost all the tournaments both he and I have been a part of, nice to know some things have to stay the same...
He won map roll, and I took the inside side, naturally. I brought in MTB, 3 mice, and one ug, every game. first round was all positioning, since he had 8 people and was done in about 3 minutes.
Second round he moved up to the door on the bottom of gambit, and I just ran bombs at him and shot him with ig-88AD, and cad. caedus down to 10, and everyone else wounded.
Round 3 I went first(caedus was out of forcepoints trying to stop my attacks the last round), I had set up a bomb right in the middle of his 5 pieces, to blow up with the MTB. I forgot that he was there, blew up a bomb no where near his pieces, and then realised. no matter, IG-88AD pulse cannoned his group of players, killing caedus, and vergere, and hitting malgus down even further. malgus took another round to take down, all three of my big hitters took him down with ease. I was worried going into this matchup, but Robins unfamiliarity with his squad lead me to an easy win. 3-0

Game 2: vs TheHutts (malgus, Hk47, bandon, exar FS) on jabba's palace
He brought in Ponda, and I brought in MTB etc again.
Round 1, was pretty much the game. I started on the openside, whilst he started inside. I outactivated him immensely. He made the mistake of moving HK-47 into the cover in front of the square box inside, but locked the door. He didnt see the shooting lane, I opened both doors once he was done, and went to town on HK. I didnt miss an attack all game(bar my drones) and dispatched HK and his bodyguard Ponda. With his disruptive dead, being crazy out activated, and all my damage output, it was over in 20 minutes. The game would have gone very differently had he kept HK, and fortunately it panned out how it did. 6-0

Game 3: vs Mike Moore Smuggler (jorus, younglings, Qui-gon JM, Ani chosen one) on cantina
I brought in the MTB etc again.....
Mike had played his squad all through to tournament incorrectly(unbeknownst to us) and his younglings were force gripping everyone everywhere. i lost my IG-88A to grips and Ani's Dark Temptation, which he failed the save on. it took forever to kill his younglings, and it ended with ani killing QUi-gon, and DT on jorus, to kill them. i only had IG-88AD, Ani, and my commanders left. vague game for a vague squad ;) THANK GOODNESS YOUNGLINGS CANT FORCE GRIP! It was an awesome squad while it lasted! wouldnt want to face it ever again :P 9-0

Game 4: vs Dr. Daman (Strike the Right Corde) on Jabba's palace
I won map roll, which I REALLY wanted to lose, since we were both playing the same map, as I needed to start inside to launch from behind the wall, protected from Cad Bane.
Round 1, was just moving up the board for both players, and Dave took out 2 bombs, giving him the activation advantage.
Round 2, was frustrating, I couldnt get to Cad, so i tried to shoot morrigan with IG-88AD, missing the first, and hit the second, for 30. positioned Cad(wrongly) behind Ig-88AD outside the small door near gambit. His Cad moved, shot my IG-88, I missed 3 saves for shields, and was left on 10.
Round 3, I should have chased Cad with IG before he died, but I didnt, so morrigan ran 12 squares, and killed him. Cad tried to chase His Cad, rolled a 1, and got shot to pieces.
Afterwards, LongStoryShort, My bombs were ineffective against his swap + actiavation control, I managed to kill Morrigan, to no avail. I couldnt get IG-88A into the fray, and Cad got round to Kill him easily once my MTB blew up. I conceded, so not to rob Dr. D of points by running my Commanders and Lobot away. First loss, thoroughly beaten! Dr. D played an awesome match, and I had ZERO answer. 9-0

Game 5: vs Kez (Shedao Shai, Quorreal, Lobot, Nei Rin, 2 YV JH, Fanatic, Yammosk) on Jabba's Palace
Just after we began this game, someone came in to tell us that the time we were allowed at venue we were at, was up. so Kez was running around frantically trying to clean and play at the same time, so naturally made some rushed moves. Cad Bane was the devastator in this situation, hitting 7 of his 13 pieces in one FA, then 5 in his next one. no movement breaker made it impossible for Kez to catch him flying around everywhere. IGs cleaned up, and bombs pitched in here and there. the most epic moment, was Cad rolling two 1's on Lobot! 12-0

And that is where we left it! Awesome day of minis, Congradulations to Dr. D, played awesomely all day! and finally had a major win under his belt :) HUGE Thanks to Graham, who ran things smoothly, albiet a little slowly, everyone enjoyed it.

Aaron OUT
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:00:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Well, I wanted to add my two cents worth, so here y'are.

We began the day with our first ever Open Day! We plastered the community with adverts saying that they should come in a check out SWM and what it looks like. We had people infest our venue and they came from everywhere. I had had just enough time to set up some tables and hurl my stuff (my complete collection!) out across the tables before they started arriving and asking questions, playing games with out two experts (Random Mike and Dr. Daman) and buying pieces! Probably had around 20-25 new people who I had never seen before come in and ask questions and stay for about an hour and a half. Probably need to rethink security as I just put ALL of my pieces on table right next to the door... probably lucky someone didn't walk off with a Vader or something.

Anyhoo, when the visits from guests died down, we went into setups and registrations for the 'Con. Graham handled it all beautifully from that point and I became just another player (well, I still took all the moneys!) and left it to the Hutts to organise the Hutt. I still waved my arms about as Save11 CEO (that never gets old) welcoming folk and talking up stuff.

My play-by-play looked like this'n:
I ran Vong for the third HuttaCon in a row. I heard that they were getting some tricks in Vset5 so started planing early (after having chosen a Shimrra/Nom Bomb squad and coming 4th in '11 and running a DeGara/Shedao/JHx2/Fanatic/Lobot squad in '12 - I rolled for faction for this one - and coming 3rd). I figured 4th then 3rd... 2nd MUST be next... I ran Quorreal/Lobot/Shedao/2xJH/Fanatic and Nei Rin. I figured I'd see shooters (hence Nei Rin) but didn't count on as many. I figured on their being Jedi, but didn't face as much as I'd like of them.

Game 1: vs Dan (new Bane, Aurra, Grievo HOH) on Anchorhead
Dan is a lovely guy and loves his Separatists. However, I don't think he's won a ranking game in any of our tournaments for some time. I helped work out the basis of his squad (which actually became pretty much Bevan's squad) and he and Bev modified it. It should have given me much more trouble than it did, but I knew more tricks than him and won it easily, although not in time - Dan is still working out the speed of his game, so it was ponderous at times. Boom, 2-0.

Game 2: vs. Glyn (GOWK, Dark Woman, new Yoda, Mako) on Jabba's
My second favourite moment in the tournament. He had a huge force dependence and, sadly for poor Glyn, had never played against Vong. He was speechless for some time when I informed him that pretty much all of his tricks were null and void against Vong including Obi's rerolls. He had even used Dark Woman to make Mako force sensitive, so I brought in a third Jedi Hunter and made very short work of his squad. So pleased someone ran Mako though! Boo-yah, 3-0 for 5pts.

Game 3: vs Dr. Daman/Dave (Cad/Corde swap) on Jabba's
Not much more to be said that Dave hasn't already (see above). I had a complete brain misfunction. I looked at his squad and though 'woah - he will outactivate me and I can't have that' and didn't even think about the unpredictability of swap and how that would totally mess him up. About 20seconds after I had chosen, I knew I had cooked myself. Bother. Thought, 'screw it - he deserves me to chase him' so I chased him. 0-3 to stay on 5pts.

Game 4: vs Stuart (Nom Bombs, Zam and a czerka) on Cantina
This is my favourite game of like forever. As soon as I saw his squad, I stole the self-destruct and brought in 5 workers with Quorreal then brought in Momaw. At the end of round two, I had locked the bottom middle door with Zam on one side and Shedao on the other and with the top door I ran Momaw up to it. (He only had one uggie and I knew that if I had the doors, I had the game.) If he won init and blew a door, I'd take Zam and a huge advantage with my Shedao and a charging Fanatic and if I won, well - I did and I ran my Momaw 6 squares into the midst of his camp, blew all but one of his bombs, his uggie and his czerka. Game. 3-0 to move to 8pts and be on Table two against Sharron!

Game 5: vs Sharron/Aaron (new Cad, the IG Brothers...) on Jabba's
Wasn't much I could do here... just too much shooting power from the big three and I couldn't bring anyone of them down in time to make a difference. It didn't help that I was running around the venue trying to clear up as the cleaners (not a bunch to be triffled with at 10pm at night!) were very keen to get us out.
0-3 to finish on 8.

Great tourney and, if my brain hadn't left the building, I could have taken Dave. BUT, not to take anything away from the man, he is a great player and deserves the Major! I had a great time, but now - with just NZcon on the horizon - and I'm judging that! - my next competitive game is HaweraCon in September/October. So the season goes.