RegisterDonateLogin

Have you seen this missing Jedi? If so, call 1-800-ORDER-66.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Discussion: Rhen Var Citadel Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:39:41 AM
Groups: Member

With some plans afoot for Map Pack 5 (see http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12939), let's talk about one of the five Restricted maps from Map Pack 4.

Made by: Adventurers Atlas
Year of Release: 2010
Current Status: Restricted List C

- what do you like about this map?
- what squads does it suit?
- which side do you normally choose?
- a memorable game on this map?
- and anything else you want to talk about

Previously profiled maps:

Restricted A
Cloud City
Peaceful City
Off World Cargo Docks

Restricted B
Cliffside Citadel
Simulation Deck
Rancor Pen

Restricted C
Commander's Office/Ravaged Base
Asteroid Base

Other
Throne Room/Chancellor's Starship
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:15:35 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If you start on the right, be aware that there are some very long lines of sight toward the top of the map. I've both been burned and burned others by that line of sight. Losing something important first round like that could determine the whole skirmish.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 5:28:58 AM

The Map wasn't made by Map of Mastery. It was made by the Adventurers Atlas in 2009.MAybe 2010. It was made the year I went to Gencon. And I can't remember what summer that was.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 6:27:12 AM

This map plays well for a variety of squads but isn't abusable the way some of the maps are. It focuses everyone to the center where most of the action takes place although there are some key lines that are quite long and it can be very good for GMA shooters. However it is safe enough for most melee squads to advance and at least get to the center without getting all shot up. With override advantage it can be great until your opp gets all the key doors blown because once that happens it can be pretty easy to track stuff down.

thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:45:40 AM

+1 to that. This is probably one of the most balanced maps in the game. It seems like neither side has much of an advantage. It's easier to hide your commanders from deep-strikers (Lancer, Yobuck) on the right side, but the left side can work just fine too.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 12:42:57 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
The Map wasn't made by Map of Mastery. It was made by the Adventurers Atlas in 2009.MAybe 2010. It was made the year I went to Gencon. And I can't remember what summer that was.

Sorry - I copied my previous map post's info, and didn't amend some of it. It's fixed now. I'm pretty sure it's 2010? I feel like it was released in mid-2010, just after I started playing.

This is probably my favourite map on the Restricted List. I like the nice big gambit room, and all the different ways to get to it.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 10:57:02 AM

i'm a bit biased when it comes to this map because i did the floor plan and then Matt brought it too life with his awesome graphics.

It was one of my favorite stages in the battlefront games and i tried to bring the sense of gradual elevation to the central control room (note all the stairs).

Standard speed teams will not make gambit 1st round, and those with speed must risk opening a door that will leave them exposed to counter fire

the long LOS across the top and bottom are supposed to drive the teams through the more guarded route to the center. Its quickest if you take these routes but again leaves you exposed so either you build strategies to take them or you go the guarded route.

The right side generally has the advantage with a guarded door to gambit and mobile shooting lanes to cover the left sides advance on the center. This puts pressure on the left side to advance and be aggressive. So if you choose this as your map you have to have an idea of how you will attack the center from the left.

Gambit is enclosed allowing for control by door strategies but most of the key doors are easily bombed from a safe spot (exception being the top door of the gambit room which again is supposed to give the feel being exposed and vulnerable, like standing on the edge of a cliff funnily enough).

Fliers have some obvious advantages on the map but with the action being focused on the central 2 rooms they have to think outside the box to gain control.

The 2 wide corridors are double edged swords. Lancers can fit down them but its a one way strafe meaning you can hamper landing spots or put bombs directly in their path.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 7:00:09 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
i'm a bit biased when it comes to this map because i did the floor plan and then Matt brought it too life with his awesome graphics.

It was one of my favorite stages in the battlefront games and i tried to bring the sense of gradual elevation to the central control room (note all the stairs).

So THAT's why its called a citadel....I never noticed that but yeah now I see how the center of the map could be considerably higher than the snowy edges. Pretty cool.....
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:46:00 AM

I love this map. I've playe don it more than any other map. I love working with Deri. I wish we could do it all the time. We've come up with a few good maps. I'm looking forward to more.

I've done quite well on this map, which is amazing because I SUCK at this game. I usually bring flight characters with me and mobile attack guys. They"ve worked well with me here.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:50:41 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:

So THAT's why its called a citadel....I never noticed that but yeah now I see how the center of the map could be considerably higher than the snowy edges. Pretty cool.....

I think I couldve improved the lighting and shadowing on it to give it more of that illusion. This was actually the scond map I'd ever made using photoshop and on a MAC. all my previous maps were made on a PC using Paint shop pro. I'd love to touch this maps up a re-release it, but honestly, it won't ever happen. too many other maps to release.
Cassus fett
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:36:53 AM

Can I get a link to a print out version of this map? (I it exists) I really like the way this map looks.