RegisterDonateLogin

Everything is under control. Situation normal.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

12th Doctor Revealed! Options
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 11:44:30 AM
Groups: Member

I know a lot of you are Doctor Who fans as am I. I just wanted to post that yesterday the actor for the 12th Doctor was announced. He is (drum roll please).........................................Peter Capaldi! Just recently in World War Z he has actually guest starred in Doctor Who before and the spinoff show Torchwood

Here's a link to the 1st interview
http://mashable.com/2013/08/04/new-doctor-who/
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 11:48:37 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think he'll be a good Doctor, I'm glad they got an older guy again. It will be a nice change.

(not that mid-50s is that old)
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:00:59 PM

Yeah, although it will be a big jump between him and Matt Smith who was the youngest Doctor. I wonder if they'll change the TARDIS yet again, although I think this TARDIS will suit him.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:17:24 PM

This turnover is too fast. We've had 3 different doctors in the last 5 years. (Counting Peter Capaldi).
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:25:55 PM

corranhorn wrote:
This turnover is too fast. We've had 3 different doctors in the last 5 years. (Counting Peter Capaldi).

It isn't any faster than in the past, if you look at the list most have only played the Doctor for 3ish years outliers being Tennant, Baker on the long end and Eccelston on the short end.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:27:01 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

It isn't any faster than in the past, if you look at the list most have only played the Doctor for 3ish years outliers being Tennant, Baker on the long end and Eccelston on the short end.

They got shorter during the show's decline in the 80s. And most of the early Doctors left when they had to, not because they wrote a new guy in out of nowhere.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:39:26 PM

corranhorn wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

They got shorter during the show's decline in the 80s. And most of the early Doctors left when they had to, not because they wrote a new guy in out of nowhere.

But they didn't really get shorter, again most Doctors are only around for 3 years. Most leave because the schedule is hard and they don't want to be typecast. I don't think any of the current actors are being "written" out. Eccelston and Tennant wanted to leavel, I haven't heard anything to the contray about Smith.

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/doctor-who-longest-actor-in-role-doctor-companion.html

Most are in the 3 year range, and Smith will have done it for almost 4 years when he is done, Jan of 2010-Christmas 2013
trappedslider
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 2:59:44 PM

Eccelston only argeed to play The Doctor if he did only the one series
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 3:14:06 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

But they didn't really get shorter, again most Doctors are only around for 3 years. Most leave because the schedule is hard and they don't want to be typecast. I don't think any of the current actors are being "written" out. Eccelston and Tennant wanted to leavel, I haven't heard anything to the contray about Smith.

Really? I read that Tennant and Smith were both written out.

AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 3:22:55 PM

I had never heard that, nor the thing that Eccelston only ever wanted to do one. But I read an interview with Tennant not that long ago that just said he wanted to leave before it became a job.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 3:32:25 PM

Considering that I can't even remember where I read that, I think we can count your source as more reliable. BigGrin
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 4:47:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Personally, I feel Tennant and Smith got kind of screwed. While it wasn't as bad with Tennant, the specials didn't make up for a full season. And the delay of Smith's third season means we lost at least half a season of Smith.

I just wish the two remaining specials were 2 hours instead of 1.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:43:47 AM

Well we still have half a season left before Christmas I think.
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:39:10 PM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
Well we still have half a season left before Christmas I think.

The only thing before Christmas is the 50th anniversary episode in Nov

Why Eccleston quit DW according to him

from wikipedia . On 30 March 2005, the BBC released a statement, ostensibly from Eccleston, saying that he had decided to leave the role after just one series, because he feared becoming typecast. On 4 April 2005, the BBC revealed that Eccleston's "statement" was falsely attributed and released without his consent. The BBC admitted that they had broken an agreement made in January not to disclose publicly that he only intended to do one series. The statement had been made after journalists made queries to the press office.

Why Ten left

Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:06:18 PM

Sad then about Matt Smith only being around for 2 more things. Those were interesting articles. It was interesting hearing that Russle T. Davis wanted to do a Star Trek cross over. I actually got a set of Star Trek/Doctor Who comic books for Christmas but those were the 11th with the Next Generation crew fighting off the Borg and the Cybermen which are basically the same thing. However, the Cybermen take over the Borg because (and here I start a war) Doctor Who stuff is superior to Star Trek!!!!!!!!!!
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:28:56 PM

However, the Cybermen take over the Borg because (and here I start a war) Doctor Who stuff is superior to Star Trek!!!!!!!!!!

That's because Star Trek is realistic science fiction while DW is science fantasy.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:41:46 PM

corranhorn wrote:
However, the Cybermen take over the Borg because (and here I start a war) Doctor Who stuff is superior to Star Trek!!!!!!!!!!

That's because Star Trek is realistic science fiction while DW is science fantasy.

That's actual a fairly accurate description. I've been trying to think of some other term for Doctor Who because the science of it can not really be explained. But it isn't real (ahem cough cough) so it doesn't really matter which I don't mind at all.ThumpUp