RegisterDonateLogin

Star Wars Miniatures has always been, at its heart, a drinking game.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Regionals Meta Tier1 Options
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 2:51:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

danielmcdougall wrote:
Could you enumerate on "a ton of issues"? Omnus' explanation of why it could work in our local Meta made sense to me. I'm interested to know what issues you believe it has.

1. Not enough Damage output. Dooku's damage is not that great. Sidious only does damage when he is in killing range, and even then, that now puts a lot of strain on Force points. One single shooter. Sure, you can add another from Lobot, but as I already pointed out, since Dooku doesn't have great output himself, you have to make it up from range. 1 (maybe 2) doesn't cut it.

2. Lack of synergy. A BDO and only ONE droid? You are better off with Uggies/Mice. Seriously, a BDO is not worth it if well over have your squad are non-Droids. Seps have never been to be able to truly mix Droid/Living squads together.

3. Overestimates Sidious. His explanation for Sidious might seem nice, but that is not the reality. Pawning? Sure, if you want to kill your droids for a single, non-Accurate shot, be my guest. It is worth it with Grievious, but not without. Sith Lightning? Again, Sidious is then in killing range. While giving Dooku more FP is tempting, my experiences show that 5 is often enough. Dooku is the utlimate Melee duelist, but he goes down hard against shooters. If you use more than 6 FP in a game with a balance squad construction, I would be amazed.

EDIT: If you want to see the best Dooku of Serreno squad I've seen, look up findersandteeth's Serreno squad.
danielmcdougall
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 3:26:01 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the explanation.
Omnus
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 7:14:32 PM

Never said it was tier 1, just a concept.

Originally it had 2 ig's right in the squad but I felt like it needed lobot which could only fit in if I removed one IG. It still has the ability to bring a second, if you don't need the activations but I could completely see the justification for not useing the BDO.

It's something I wanted to play around with more but I didn't want everyone thinking seps had nothing close to good for the meta without finding something with GG, DAC.

Anyway, just an idea.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:06:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Someone posted a squad with 2 TBSVs instead of the droids...

it was this but sub the Whipid and an Ug for another TBSV...
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=39363
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:32:00 AM

[quote=Sithborg
EDIT: If you want to see the best Dooku of Serreno squad I've seen, look up findersandteeth's Serreno squad.[/quote]

http://bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=37897

His squad is just mine with Lobot. Generally, when making squads, I start with what I wan in the original, and then when I play in tournaments with it I decide if I want Lobot or not. You should know that by now Scott.

He even told you it was my squad, adapted with Lobot.....

Anyways, since it was brought up, it isn't top tier. Sorry guys. It might be the best I can do with Soreno, but it's not going to cut it, even against GOWK. The damage output is too low, and Dooku gets pasted by shooters really fast. The FPs are not an issue, as using all 5 is pretty tough as is - which makes any Sidious build subpar IMO. There is also no reason at all to be using IG droids, when you get virtually the same thing with the TBSV, with access to twin, and no need for the BDO anymore.

The only way this squad can win is if you get lucky on some key inits, and Jarael can stun. Otherwise, its not going to work.

But I had to be able to say I did my best with Dooku, so I could accurately tell people calling him a "viable counter to GOWK" that it just isn't so.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:37:18 PM

You're right, he did say it was a varient on your squad. I still like it more than yours though. ;)

It might not be top teir, but I had enough fun with it on Thur to keep on playing around with it. I only had one true test of it, and I was pleased with how it did, despite losing.
kenred2
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:25:53 PM

It's tough to work with Serenno for 150pt... but it's manageable

--Serenno GOWK-Counter 150--
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
36 Darth Sidious
42 GenoHaradan Assassin x2
10 San Hill
5 Caamasi Noble
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 8 activations)
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:19:57 AM

Sidious is just not worth it with Dooku of Serreno. I am half tempted to use him with Tyrannus, but I have some very big doubts about that as well.
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:14:56 PM

--Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster--
54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
26 Kyp Durron
23 General Wedge Antilles
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
9 General Dodonna
3 Mouse Droid
(149pts. 9 activations)

(Created By: Lambalazar)

I think this is another idea people could play with and tweak. Has some nice abilities to fight LV and GOWK squads. It gave me a couple ideas to play around with.

--Big K and Lil K--
54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
27 Lobot
26 Kyp Durron
23 General Wedge Antilles
9 General Dodonna
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Lobot:
17 T3-M4
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 10 activations)

--Galactic Valor--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
27 Lobot
26 Kyp Durron
23 Jolee Bindo
9 General Dodonna
9 Mouse Droid x3

Lobot:
17 T3-M4
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 12 activations)

I wanted to work some override into the squad. I love a free t3-m4 because he is such a target and flamethrower is nice bonus with Gowk running around and less accurate in the meta. Still dropping lobot to directly put t3 and Luke FS in may not be a bad idea.

Jolee Bindo: I constantly debate whether to put Jolee Bindo or Wedge in NR squads. Too many...this may sound crazy. But often enough it seems like I end up basing most of the figs that I would wnat to be evading anyway. Also NR has so many options that have nice attack and def but not quite great, so +2/+2 is about perfect. But for me, I feel like Bindo is a waste if I just use him for the CE. I almost always charge him 12 squares and try to force stun and then set him up to be a wall of HP with avoid defeat or force them to take some aoo's from him.
joelker41
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:58:43 PM

I can hear the laughs coming even before I post this but what about Mara Jade Skyealker?

#1) Dash/Valor

Mara Jade Skywalker 49
Jolee Bindo 23
Dash 28
Jagged 10
Lobot 27
Dodonna 9
Ugo 3

Reinforcements:

BBSV if you want Evade and a solid shooter

Standard Human BG + 3 Ugos

Wicket, Camaasi, Gran, and Ugo

#2) Jaded Battlemaster v 2.0

Mara 49
Kyle 54
Wedge 23
Dodonna 9
Camaasi 5
3xUgos 9

Two mobile, direct damage beatsticks, no need for Force Spirit on Mara she already has Renewal and Mettle and now Mobile Force Push.

#3)

Mara 49
Maris Brood 49
Wedge 23
Dodonna 9
Wicket 8
Mouse 3 (blocker)
3xUgos 9

Two Renewal FP buzzsaws with Evade, Mobile, and Force Push.

#4)

Han GH 50
Mara 49
Lobot 27
Dodonna 9
Camaasi 5
3xUgos 9

Reinforcements:

BBSV

T3 M4 for Flamethrower/Override
Ugo

#5)

Mara 49
Kyp 26
Jolee 23
Wedge 23
Dodonna 9
Luke FS (on Jolee or Kyp)
Gran 4
2xUgos 6

#6) Misfits

Mara 49
Wolf Sazen 39
Dodonna 9
BBSV 20
Luke,FS 10
TBSV 18
Mouse 3
2xUgos 6

This version is flat out strange, I cant deny that. Suprise Move/Force Push and a large defense on Wolf makes him an interesting figure vs non tempo controlled squads.

I realize I will probably get Blasted to bits for this post I am just trying to think a little out of the Box vs GOWK.

I like Mara's built in Luke FS, her Force Push, and Stealth/Deflect if positioned properly could be an issue for non Accurate Shooters. She still has majoe damage output issues since she cant kill anything of real value even if she can get a Double off.

She seems to have a nice median of damage and defense, if she was the same 45 as her better attacking version she would have a ton more options.

Omnus
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:12:53 PM

Besides the fact she is a ugly...very ugly mini...I will try not to laugh : )

She may actually be better in the current meta simply because she has an auto damage power...and most of the reason we think the piece is so bad, is because the other Mara was so much better at the time. But with the init changes and addition of GOWK...she will likely be played much less.

So I suppose the question this present is...Is there an NR build that includes Mara Jade Skywalker that is better than the other NR squads?

Honestly, the answer is probably still "No". She brings very little into games against LV, or Vong. Her stealth, renewel and push are helpful against some of the GOWK squads, but I don't think that makes her useful in enough of the matchups we are likely to see.
Nightwalker
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:08:09 PM

I tryed not to laugh as well i apologise in advance >_>

For the point cost and the powers ur trying to get out of her id proaboly agree with omnus and add in youd prolly end up going with a diffrent Nr piece to get the same effect.
Boba Fett
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:20:45 PM

here i go again...

--General's Orders--
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
12 Quarren Assassin
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 8 activations)
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:30:51 PM

Boba Fett wrote:
here i go again...

--General's Orders--
12 Quarren Assassin
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 8 activations)

Probably one of the better Boba squads we might see. I am not sure what to do to improve it or what map to play on. But your map choice, and strategy are going to have to make up for the low damage output.

If you planning to play it at the regionals in your area, try it against any of the squads you think you will likely play against.

I think the only tip I can come up with are these. Early game try to use r2 tow + boba as efficiently as possible. Door tricks like r2 drops boba next door, end of round, door opens and then override another door open. Then activate boba something like forward 1, shoot and back 5, so the door closes. Also after initial tows make sure to get obi up next to r2 unless there is a risk of force lightning 2 or grenades 40. Then drag obi over to double any Human BG's or force push BG's (panaka is a great example) away from the primary target, so that if you do get a Big D it doesn't get BG'd.

Thats about all I can suggest.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:16:46 PM

Everyone is starting to gear up for regionals. Got a couple games in lately. Played count the pawns vs RBR on vassal and I played my galactic valor vs the suggested vong squad. All of the squads are feeling pretty tough.

--Rieekan's Broken Rebels--
47 Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
8 R2-D2
(150pts. 10 activations)

vs

--Count the Pawns--
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
36 Darth Sidious
27 Lobot
17 IG-86 Assassin Droid
10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer

Lobot:
11 Human Bodyguard
(150pts. 10 activations)

--Galactic Valor--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
27 Lobot
26 Kyp Durron
23 Jolee Bindo
9 General Dodonna
9 Mouse Droid x3

Lobot:
17 T3-M4
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 12 activations)

vs

--Vong JHs 150--
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
80 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x4
19 Yomin Carr
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
8 Wicket
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 12 activations)

Against the vong I pulled in an IG-86 with lobot which made a huge difference. I think Lobot may end up being a very Key piece in the new meta because alot of squads need the ability to customize. So as a general suggestion, see if you can work in Lobot to your squads design. bring in the activations when you need it, bring in the BG when the situation calls for it, use t3 or another auto damage piece to help with GOWK or bring in an IG + MD to help mess with vong.

Not sure if any other reinforcement piece would make much difference...wat tambor and RS jabba don't seem to do enough for their points. But if you have an idea, try it out.
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:58:15 PM

Got in 2 great games with MarkIV. I played GOwk/rex/r2/jwm/lobot and he played Yobuck swap with jarjar.

Both games I lost map roll and we played on rancor pit.

This ended up being quite funny because Cybit and I were debating r2+rex vs GMLS the other day and I was trying to make sure he realized that sometimes rex does 0 and sometimes he does 80-90. And being able to defense twice when no attacks hit and then defense twice when all 4 hit make life rough. It's not always the way the odds should play out.

So our first game came down to r2+rex on both sides. Our rexs were both machine guns. Obi kept burning force to keep up because I couldn't make SSM saves to save my life. But Rex hit yobuck 7/8 times in cover. This game had such odd rolls it's not really a good example of anything besides the crazy stuff that can happen with rex. His first rex shots at Obi in cover where i think Hit/hit/crit/miss. I failed the ssm on the first and then failed the reroll. Saved a fp expecting to need it. I succeeded on the next ssm. Then failed the ssm against the crit but made it with the reroll.

Second game ended up being a bit whacked because he tried a different strat with which didn't really work out. But I won both.

Having the lobot JWM version really helped in that particular match up. Sweeping with the JWM on jarjar was nice because no risk of bombad. Also riposte helped with yobuck. The uggies and BG being free made things harder for yobuck to get a point lead.

Overall some fun games.

Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:14:40 AM

Omnus wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
here i go again...

--General's Orders--
12 Quarren Assassin
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 8 activations)

Probably one of the better Boba squads we might see. I am not sure what to do to improve it or what map to play on. But your map choice, and strategy are going to have to make up for the low damage output.

If you planning to play it at the regionals in your area, try it against any of the squads you think you will likely play against.

I think the only tip I can come up with are these. Early game try to use r2 tow + boba as efficiently as possible. Door tricks like r2 drops boba next door, end of round, door opens and then override another door open. Then activate boba something like forward 1, shoot and back 5, so the door closes. Also after initial tows make sure to get obi up next to r2 unless there is a risk of force lightning 2 or grenades 40. Then drag obi over to double any Human BG's or force push BG's (panaka is a great example) away from the primary target, so that if you do get a Big D it doesn't get BG'd.

Thats about all I can suggest.

Killing things isn't what makes the Obi/Fett, BH combo annoying. It is that is extremely tough to kill. You will have a rough time killing the 127 pts that those 2 figs represent. Whereas killing 24+ pts is perfectly fine for the Obi/Fett player.