RegisterDonateLogin

We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

strafe attack Options
Kanis_Majoris
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:56:09 AM
Groups: Member

I have a question guys. If I am using the Basilisk War Droid and using its strafe attack I can move 20 squares and attack each enemy has I enter their squares correct, has long as I have a place to land at the end of my 20 squares of movement?

Second, on strafe attack can I use abilities and commander effects such as +4 to attack from Malak, Momentum from Indomintable, and twin attack from the captain? Not sure how this really reads in the rules so if anybody can clarify this I appreciate it!!

Volvagia14
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:58:11 AM

yes. and all bonuses to attack and/or damage would still work with strafe.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:06:57 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Just remember that with Strafe, the ending space(s) must be chosen before you move and cannot be changed once your move has started.

Gallop is different in that regard...as you can determine your ending space(s) as you go.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:08:16 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Just remember that with Strafe, the ending space(s) must be chosen before you move and cannot be changed once your move has started.

Gallop is different in that regard...as you can determine your ending space(s) as you go.

Not entirely true. You can change your ending space with Strafe (say, if you manage to kill something along the way), but you can't start a Strafe if you don't have a pre-determined ending spot. In other words, even if you know you're going to kill some Ugnaughts along the way and clear open a landing area, you might roll a bunch of 1's (been there, done that), and end up not having a landing space. So, you have to designate an ending space, but you can re-assess it as you move.

Yobuck is different because you're never actually IN an enemy's space, you're adjacent to it. So Yobuck is always in a legal ending square every space he moves. Strafing units are different since they are in illegal ending squares while making their attacks.
Kanis_Majoris
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 2:54:32 AM

Actually guys I just got around to reading the official rules on the wizards data base and they clearly explain there that if I was using the Basilisk War Droid these would be my options:

1) Make a normal attack and then move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable).

2) Move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable) and then make a normal attack.

3) Move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable) and not make an attack.

4) Move up to 20 squares and use neither strafe attack or make a normal attack.

Basically you can't use strafe attack if you are going to move any more spaces then you would normally be allowed to make a normal attack. Since the Basilisk War Droid has a speed of 10 he can move 10 instead of the normal 6. Hopefully this clears stuff up and potentially makes it more confusing. Thanks guys!!!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:17:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Unfortunately, you cannot change your designated end space(s) with Strafe:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1126557&highlight=strafe

You can change the path to get there, however, but not the end space(s) once chosen. No matter how many characters you defeat along the way. Wink

This is a big difference with Galloping Attack....which does not say you must decide the end space(s).
Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:56:49 AM

Kanis_Majoris wrote:
Actually guys I just got around to reading the official rules on the wizards data base and they clearly explain there that if I was using the Basilisk War Droid these would be my options:

1) Make a normal attack and then move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable).

2) Move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable) and then make a normal attack.

3) Move up to 10 squares (using Strafe Attack, if applicable) and not make an attack.

Basically you can't use strafe attack if you are going to move any more spaces then you would normally be allowed to make a normal attack. Since the Basilisk War Droid has a speed of 10 he can move 10 instead of the normal 6. Hopefully this clears stuff up and potentially makes it more confusing. Thanks guys!!!

This is actually wrong, in the example you interpreted from, the character (Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike) has Accelerate, and therefore, can only move 12 and Strafe or 24 and not attack anything.
The Basilisk can move his full movement of 20 squares and Strafe, as long as he has a place to land.
The reason for the difference is that the speeder bikes only have speed 6, but the Accelerate is what allows them to move alot further.
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:45:39 AM

Sithfan wrote:
Kanis_Majoris wrote:

This is actually wrong, in the example you interpreted from, the character (Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike) has Accelerate, and therefore, can only move 12 and Strafe or 24 and not attack anything.
The Basilisk can move his full movement of 20 squares and Strafe, as long as he has a place to land.
The reason for the difference is that the speeder bikes only have speed 6, but the Accelerate is what allows them to move alot further.

Actually strafe for the speeder can strafe and accelerate, accelerate just means you cant take your regular attack
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:58:23 AM

awesome wrote:

Actually strafe for the speeder can strafe and accelerate, accelerate just means you cant take your regular attack

This is incorrect. If a character uses Accelerate, they cannot use Strafe Attack.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:03:42 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

This is covered specifically in the FAQ.
Kanis_Majoris
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:14:22 PM

Hey guys I emailed wizards these two questions:

1) Can I use strafe attack while i am using charging fire? Not sure because charging fire replaces turn.

2) Also, if my mando's gain force points from Darth Sidious's commander effect, can enemies benefit from the Jedi hunter ability when attacking them even though they don't have a force rating written on their card?

These are the answers that I received:

If charging fire replaces the turn, you cannot use strafe during that action. Strafe is its own attack action.

For your second question, no. They do not gain a force rating from him.

Josh
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Hope these will help clear up other peoples question!
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:22:59 PM

They do not gain a force rating but they do gain force points.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:27:58 PM

@Lobo

Yeah strafe you have to have the landing spot designated prior to the strafe. That one I know because Bill and I went over that at length a long time ago.

This rule is one of the main reasons Basilik War Droids have never really been considered worth their cost. A good player can deny them a strafe. Being huge it makes the denial quite a bit easier than say with the Lancer Droids.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:23:17 PM

Kanis_Majoris wrote:
Hey guys I emailed wizards these two questions:

Yeah, you want to avoid doing that. The Wizards customer service is notoriously bad at rules questions. While they got the 2nd right, they got the first one wrong as the person who answered you believed Strafe Attack replaces attacks, which it does not, and answered accordingly.

If you want accurate, official answers, ask your questions in the Rules board on the official forums.