RegisterDonateLogin

You don't know the power of Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Meat V. Skill. which is a better squad? Options
Joseph blob
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:15:20 PM
Groups: Member

Just to open up a conversion topic that's been bugging e for a while. Which do you guys think is better; a high hit point and damage squad with one maybe two CE and only a few real useful SA? Or one that makes guys need anything but a one to hit with CE maxed and SA overloaded Characters?

Looking forward to your thoughts ThumbsUp BlooMilk
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:27:34 PM

Joseph blob wrote:
Just to open up a conversion topic that's been bugging e for a while. Which do you guys think is better; a high hit point and damage squad with one maybe two CE and only a few real useful SA? Or one that makes guys need anything but a one to hit with CE maxed and SA overloaded Characters?

A CE-maxed squad would have serious difficulty against Bastila and Disruptive pieces, so the squad would probably need to be more SA-based.
Of course, I don't play competitively, so take everything I say with 0.5 grains of salt.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:00:48 PM

I think there's a certain type of precision squad that can be hard to run well - if you make a mistake you're in trouble, but if you run it well, it can be difficult to counter. I'm thinking of squads like Imperial swap squads, where someone like Cad Bane or Lord Vader can swap in, do massive amounts of damage, then swap out. But if you lose your one big attacker, you're in trouble.

Same with some Separatist Lancer squads - you often have a lot of pieces supporting a fragile Lancer, and you have to do enough damage with it before it gets chased down for the squad to work. These are high risk/high reward squads - if they're played well, then can be very hard to counter, but if you make a mistake, and lose one of your fragile attackers too early, you'll lose.

There's arguably evolution where if you're a beginning group, you'll see forgiving squads do well. An example might be beefy Jedi - I can imagine newer players will gravitate towards pieces like Zannah and Mace Legacy of the Lightside, and they'll do well. Then there's an evolution through to more tech oriented squads - you could see a situation where a newish group of players turn up to a regional, and get owned by an urbanjedi Lancer squad. Then you'll finally get a balance, where some people play tech squads, some people play beef squads, and they're all on a par with each other.

Before the v-sets, we had a situation where the fragile tech squads were relatively dominant - fragile Rebel squads were really strong, as were Lancers and Imperial swap, and the only beef squads that did well were those with a lot of movement - eg Yobuck with swap, or Ganner giving Mara a big kill range, also helped by Dodonna's tempo control. The v-sets have really amped up big melee pieces; I think it might seem to newer groups like the big v-set beatsticks are dominant, as these squads will do really well against comparable wotc pieces, but really, it's just allowing the beef type pieces to get on an even footing with the fragile tech squads that were doing so well before the v-sets.