RegisterDonateLogin

Created the rule of two "oo"s.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Non V-Set building Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:09:41 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
Something else to note... builds with General Obi-Wan Kenobi would be in the meta - and possibly change the meta entirely. He was so good that he was banned entirely at the end of the WotC era. Vsets have provided enough counters to him that he is now legal.

He came back with Soresu working on non-melee only before or around 2010 Regionals, right? With no melee defense, he didn't really make a huge impact, but with melee defense as well it would have been a different story.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:09:33 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Something else to note... builds with General Obi-Wan Kenobi would be in the meta - and possibly change the meta entirely. He was so good that he was banned entirely at the end of the WotC era. Vsets have provided enough counters to him that he is now legal.

He came back with Soresu working on non-melee only before or around 2010 Regionals, right? With no melee defense, he didn't really make a huge impact, but with melee defense as well it would have been a different story.

Oh right - good point. Yes, he was banned for a while but then came back with an errata for the last GenCon finals - nerfed so that Soresu was for non-melee only. With that change, he wasn't so dominant. In fact, with that change he may not have even cracked the meta.

In any case, the squad he was dominant with (before the ban) was GOWK with Jedi Weapon Masters and either Dash or Rex.
Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:53:44 PM

I remember very vividly how much I hated when GWOK came out. One of the big reasons why I stopped going to tournaments :/

no tournaments = no intrest

until now!

anyways, thank you everyone for your input. this is awesome and I would love to keep the conversation going!
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:17:33 PM

If it helps too, I conducted a survey a couple of weeks ago where I got everyone to list their 5 best pieces for each faction. I then collated the lists into one super-list; of the 55 pieces, 29 were from WOTC, and I've listed them below. It's generally a good list of the pieces to build around in each faction, IMO.

Old Republic
None

Sith
None.

Mandalorian
Mandalorian Captain
Mandalorian Scout
Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander

Republic
Mas Amedda
General Obi-Wan Kenobi
R2-D2, Astromech Droid
Yoda on Kybuck

Separatist
IG-Lancer Droid
General Whorm Loathsom
Battle Droid Officer
Darth Sidious

Rebel
General Dodonna
General Rieekan
Princess Leia
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando

Imperial
Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
Admiral Ozzel
Arica

New Republic
Ganner Rhysode
Mara Jade Jedi
General Wedge Antilles

Yuuzhan Vong
Nom Anor
Yomin Carr

Fringe (10 chosen)
Cad Bane
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Mouse Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist
R7 Astromech Droid
Lobot

With this list, it's probably worth noting that:
Vong: Nom Anor and Yomin Carr really needed a couple of v-set pieces to shine - the Yammosk to make Yomin's CE boardwide, and the Yuuzhan Vong Worker to provide cheap bombs (and it makes lots of sense to have an in-faction option rather then relying on Fringe).
Republic: GOWK probably wouldn't have made the list without Soresu Style Mastery being reinstated.
Mandalorians: Captain, Scout, and MC Fett are all good pieces, but weren't enough to make the Mandos top tier before the v-sets.
Darth_Massey-Sith_Lord
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:22:03 PM

that's a fantastic list and I completely agree with it. The only thing I would change would be the Sith list. Malak LotS and Holo Sid, at least in my opinion, definitely belong on that list. If you're trying to make a Sith squad without either of those, you're doomed to an up hill battle.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:55:14 PM

All the five choices on the Sith list were from the v-sets - hardly surprising when they were largely neglected by WOTC. Malak DLotS and Sidiogram both got a mention, but weren't serious contenders. The most popular Sith options were the two that provide movement - Caedus Sith Lord and Revan Sith Lord. I think, generally, the Sith need one of those two to keep up with the factions that had movement before the v-sets.