RegisterDonateLogin

Is the war paint on Felucian Rancors.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Rule? Options
awesome
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:53:27 AM
Groups: Member

with the new rule saying, you can only activate 1 character for the first phase thing,

1. is it for every first phase of the round or only the first of the first round?

2. can a character like Dodonna or Tarkin that says "can choose to activate # of people in this phase" does that overrule the new rule since you choose to activate so many?

thanks
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:59:00 AM

awesome wrote:
with the new rule saying, you can only activate 1 character for the first phase thing,

1. is it for every first phase of the round or only the first of the first round?

2. can a character like Dodonna or Tarkin that says "can choose to activate # of people in this phase" does that overrule the new rule since you choose to activate so many?

thanks

ok the first phase directly after each init of the game the first player can only move one.

So after you tally gambit and roll init..... the winner choses who goes first and that person only moves one.

2. Dodonna cannot activate 2. Only one.

Tarkin's commander effect does allow you to move 1-3 so it does get around the new init.

This is the new DCI ruling and I can assure you this is how it is meant to work. I realize that this has cut the legs on some older powerful combos/squads like HAn Cannon and B&B but it is designed to make the game more fair. It is designed to keep a init roll from being the deciding factor in the outcome of the game.

I am the DCI Content Manager for Star Wars Minis and I can tell you this came straight from Rob (the game designer) with the intent of keeping the game fair for all.
awesome
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:01:34 PM

dnemiller wrote:
awesome wrote:

thanks

ok the first phase directly after each init of the game the first player can only move one.

So after you tally gambit and roll init..... the winner choses who goes first and that person only moves one.

2. Dodonna cannot activate 2. Only one.

Tarkin's commander effect does allow you to move 1-3 so it does get around the new init.

This is the new DCI ruling and I can assure you this is how it is meant to work. I realize that this has cut the legs on some older powerful combos/squads like HAn Cannon and B&B but it is designed to make the game more fair. It is designed to keep a init roll from being the deciding factor in the outcome of the game.

I am the DCI Content Manager for Star Wars Minis and I can tell you this came straight from Rob (the game designer) with the intent of keeping the game fair for all.

how is dodonna's any differant from tarkin's besides the 3rd activation? because both say you can "choose" to activat so many,

OK so its every round not just the very first one.
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:21:40 PM

awesome wrote:

how is dodonna's any differant from tarkin's besides the 3rd activation? because both say you can "choose" to activat so many,

OK so its every round not just the very first one.

All I can tell you to do is take it up with Rob (the game designer). Don't be waiting for an answer back though.

When we talked about it, my vote was not to let Tarkin be able to touch it either. But that is the direction he went. There is an interaction I believe to the why but I honestly cannot remember and the why really quit being important once I was told that is the rule and how it is.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:40:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

awesome wrote:
[how is dodonna's any differant from tarkin's besides the 3rd activation? because both say you can "choose" to activat so many,

Simple, it doesn't say what most think it does.

Tarkin says "you may activate up to 3 figures", whereas Dodonna says "you may activate 1". Dodonna does not allow 2, he only restricts yours to one, a very key difference.
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:06:08 PM

Sithborg wrote:
awesome wrote:
[how is dodonna's any differant from tarkin's besides the 3rd activation? because both say you can "choose" to activat so many,

Tarkin says "you may activate up to 3 figures", whereas Dodonna says "you may activate 1". Dodonna does not allow 2, he only restricts yours to one, a very key difference.

nice shooting SB!!!

Thanks SB I could not for the life of me remember the exact interaction and after spending 2 hours out in the sun coaching my youngest sons baseball team I just did not feel up to looking it up.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:30:33 AM

Sithborg wrote:
awesome wrote:

on the card it says you may choose to activate 1 character per turn, he doesnt force you to move 1, you choose to,

but I guess I see it though because it doesnt say 1 or 2 it says may choose to activate 1, so you can still activate 1 or 2 on a regular round just not the first,

I get it.

thanks
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2009 12:14:59 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

per the sticky in General:

The reason why Dodonna & Veed do not work is because their CEs state that you can choose to activate only 1 per phase. Which means that you can activate the normal amount or 1. Normally (or before the new DCI rule) that would be 2 per phase. Now the first phase of any round will be a choice of 1 or 1. Hard decision I know.

As for San and Ozzel, well they were always limiting to one so no one should have trouble understanding how it doesn't affect them.