Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Disney already ruining SW? Options
trappedslider
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:13:09 PM
Groups: Member

Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:21:34 PM

Please get Timothy Zahn on that team!!!!!!!!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:52:15 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hopefully it means they can smooth out any inconsistencies and elevate most of the existing canon. It may mean most everything after the Zahn trilogy is thrown out. I can't imagine they mess with the Zahn trilgoy, though.
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:00:53 PM

"one cohesive canon across the entire franchise"

That does not sound good.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:33:39 PM

It looks as though they might keep the comics. In that event we keep Legacy which has to keep The New Jedi Order which relates to a bunch of other things. I think the Old Republic era is safe due to the Old Republic.
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:19:49 AM

Yeah, why mess with the OR? If they want to do a trilogy there, they have 3000 years of work around in.
poppins88
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:02:55 AM

I think they'll leave most of the canon alone, but that they'll get rid of everything following the Thrawn Trilogy. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:04:26 AM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
It looks as though they might keep the comics. In that event we keep Legacy which has to keep The New Jedi Order which relates to a bunch of other things. I think the Old Republic era is safe due to the Old Republic.

Old Republic era is probably safe since there's no reason to change it. The new movies aren't going that direction.

"one cohesive canon" sounds great, actually. Ideally, that means that they find any contradictions and decide what stays. In practice, it probably means, "Okay - cohesive canon starting.... NOW." And throw out half of everything already written.
c_inch3
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:41:10 AM

I agree this is a really smart move... lets be honest the new Clone cartoons wrecked canon ... it even caused writers who wrote books to quit because they screwed up royally. (if you dont agree then why do Anakin and Grievous talk about how they look as if they never faced each other if they already did? it doesnt make sense)

The new cartoons broke a lot of canon. the fact they want one cohesive line makes perfect sense especially for the new movies and the books and comics and games coming out. Really this is a smart move.
CerousMutor
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:57:51 AM

c_inch3 wrote:
I agree this is a really smart move... lets be honest the new Clone cartoons wrecked canon ... it even caused writers who wrote books to quit because they screwed up royally. (if you dont agree then why do Anakin and Grievous talk about how they look as if they never faced each other if they already did? it doesnt make sense)

The new cartoons broke a lot of canon. the fact they want one cohesive line makes perfect sense especially for the new movies and the books and comics and games coming out. Really this is a smart move.

+1

One of the reasons I never got on board with CW was because it was peeing all canon, film and eu.
Not going to go on a rant but this will be better.

We most probably will lose some eu canon in the process, but hell, I'd rather that than a retcon every other year.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:42:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

c_inch3 wrote:

And yet, it looks like the Clone Wars cartoons will stay in canon...

Although, last I check, Greivious and Anakin never met in the cartoon. It was just a LOT of Obi and Greivious.

And honestly, I'm at the point where I don't care about continuity. There are whole swaths of stories that I no longer care to think about as actually happened. IG88 in the death star, nope. TFU, nope. There is this large blank space inbetween the end of the NJO and the Legacy comics.

Disney is powerful. But they can't take the stories I love from me.
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:50:56 AM

Sithborg wrote:

And that rules.
c_inch3
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:37:29 PM

Sithborg wrote:
c_inch3 wrote:

Although, last I check, Greivious and Anakin never met in the cartoon. It was just a LOT of Obi and Greivious.

And honestly, I'm at the point where I don't care about continuity. There are whole swaths of stories that I no longer care to think about as actually happened. IG88 in the death star, nope. TFU, nope. There is this large blank space inbetween the end of the NJO and the Legacy comics.

Id rather they kept the original Clone Wars (from like 2003) as the canon between 2 and 3. It made perfect sense!! It was cohesive between the movies, explained a lot (Grievous' cough, kidnapping, scar on Anakin's face, etc) Not only that but they did it in a timely manner that was cool to watch like another movie!
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:52:17 PM

c_inch3 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
c_inch3 wrote:

Id rather they kept the original Clone Wars (from like 2003) as the canon between 2 and 3. It made perfect sense!! It was cohesive between the movies, explained a lot (Grievous' cough, kidnapping, scar on Anakin's face, etc) Not only that but they did it in a timely manner that was cool to watch like another movie!

Yeah, but it was really an excuse to watch some clones blast droids, and watch lasers fly. Did you notice how cheap they were about dialogue? They wouldn't even pay to have clones talk. (That's why we have hand signals!) But I liked how they paid attention to the Comics and through in Durge and Ventress.

The Anakin meeting Grievous was bad. I don't really like that he met Dooku as well, but that wasn't terrible. What got me mad was Evan Piell, so much for Couruscant Knights! And than there was that whole droids arc where we hoped to get some cool Clone Commando action, but instead got a kids cartoon. I actually didn't mind Maul's resurrection after a while, they shouldn't have killed him in Episode I, but it was still preposterous. The whole Death Watch thing was OK, but still a little screwy. (And did anyone else notice the Yuuzhan Vong symbol pasted onto Pre Vizla's chest?!)
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:09:25 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I thought Durge and Ventress originated in the original cartoon. And it really is too much to hope for Clone Wars to be tossed out, since the main showrunner from Clone Wars to doing Rebels.
SignerJ
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:35:33 PM

I might have to accept the fact that I won't like any of the new canon.

Which is okay with me, since I still have years worth of old EU stuff to buy and read.

Also, I'm glad that I'm not the only person peeved at the Clone Wars TV series. (I call it that to differentiate it from the mini-series/cartoon.)
c_inch3
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:41:45 PM

Sithborg wrote:
I thought Durge and Ventress originated in the original cartoon. And it really is too much to hope for Clone Wars to be tossed out, since the main showrunner from Clone Wars to doing Rebels.

They did which is why it NEEDS to stay. It needs it.