RegisterDonateLogin

Is your father.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Faction Strategies? Options
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:26:59 AM
Groups: Member

How do you play each faction? Do you tend to use the same strategy every time, or does it vary? Are there certain gimmicks and pieces that you always use, or do you mix it up?
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:28:19 PM

I don't think it's necessarily all about factions. Republic have (at least) three competitive squad types, which all play differently - Skybuck with swap, Naboo swarm with deathshots and twin, and Mace/GOWK tank squads. The only thing that they really have in common is that they all have R2-D2 Astromech Droid in them (who is a faction defining piece, but is only 9 points, so doesn't influence squad builds too much). I'd say it's more about squad types. Each faction brings its own flavour to the squad type, but the squad type is probably more fundamental. Here are some of my categorizations, but there are probably squads that combine a couple of these types, or are outside these boxes completely:

i) Late strike: outactivate your opponent with tempo control, then put a big end of round strike in. Examples include Rebel Han Cannon and Imperial Thrawn swap squads.

ii) Swarms - get in as close as you can without being shot at, then pile in and get lots of damage off. Examples include Republic Naboo deathshot squads and Imperial Daala squads.

iii) Tank squads - try and control gambit, normally have to absorb some damage before you can dish out any yourself. Examples include Sith Zannah/Caedus/Vergere tank squads and Republic Mace/GOWK squads.

iv) Spoiler squads - counter the enemy squads tricks. A good example is a Mandalorian squad with Mandalore the Vindicated and Fenn Shysa, where beefy disruptive and bodyguard shots make it hard for the other squad to make headway. Same with Old Republic Bastila squads and Fringe Talon Kardde squads with Disruptive and Ysalamari.

v) Strafe/gallop squads - Separatist Lancer/Durge on Speeder or Republic Yoda on Kybuck, Kill a bunch of activations, then use your activation advantage to control the game.

vi) Alpha Strike - put a big early/mid-round hit on something. Examples include Revan/Satele in Old Republic, Ganner/Mara in New Republic, and Revan/Kaan in Sith.
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:50:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

vii) Losing squads - most of the things I run. Examples are on my squadbuilding list. Perhaps avoid those.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:32:29 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
vii) Losing squads - most of the things I run. Examples are on my squadbuilding list. Perhaps avoid those.

You made the final of the NZ Championship with a (ii). I think you know what you're talking about.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:23:54 PM

Leave it to the NZ guys to nail it. Well put, Graham. And Kez...with ya, man. I love running my own creations but usually don't have luck. (Barney and Friends being the notable exception.)
markedman247
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:55:56 PM

kezzamachine wrote:

I prefer to call these "Marked for Death," my forte.