RegisterDonateLogin

That thing's operational!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Looking for suggestions on maps Options
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 10:16:47 AM
Groups: Member

Hi, I'm new to bloomilk, and I have a question about maps.

Me and a group of friends at my rez regularly play sw minis on Fridays, but the only maps I have are korriban/throneroom and the legacy of the force promo poster map. We've never used the LotF map since it wouldn't work well for the 4-6 players we usually have, and the korriban one is too open for us. We've gotten bored with the throne room one and I'm looking to pick up some maps. One issue we'd like to deal with is having long hallways be too easy to just camp with shooters, especially with mobile attack.

Anyone have some suggestions? Also if anyone knows a place to get maps fairly cheap that'd be helpful (they need to be able to ship to Canada)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 11:10:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here is the canonical map reference:

http://www.swmresources.com/downloads/MapList%20January%202013.pdf

It lists all of the maps made for SWM through January 2013. JediCartographer just released 14 new maps a couple months back and they are not listed, but everything else is. The maps are categorized as 'Restricted', 'Standard', and 'Open'. The Restricted maps are considered the most balanced for competitive play. Standard are fine, too. Usually it's just that one or two squad types get too strong of an advantage but they generally play very well for most games. Maps in the Open category tend to be more, well, open, and thus give shooters too much of an advantage. (There may be other factors at play as well, though.)

You can look there to see what maps you might like, or to see what list a particular map was placed on.

Look here to buy Star Wars maps:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/collectible-miniatures/star-wars-miniatures/star-wars-maps.html

The consensus for best "bang for the buck" is Jedi Cartographer Map Pack 4: Strongholds & Fortresses. It's 4 double-sided maps (8 maps total), and they are currently being sold individually at Miniature Market for $6 each, or a set of all 4 for $20. Map Pack 5 is also available - those are newly released and not yet rated. The Maps of Mastery maps are also great but they are more expensive.

The cheapest map option is usually the set of Clone Wars map packs - the two Teth maps and Crystal Caves of Ilum. You can sometimes find them for $3 or $4 each if you look around. I like Map Pack 4 a lot better, though.
donnyrides
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 11:22:10 AM

Map pack 4 puts the clone war maps to shame IMO. I think MP4 was one of the best SWM purchases I have ever made. I got them during the black friday sale. $10 for 8 maps (4 dbl sided).

They play great and aren't mindless shooter maps but if you look hard enough you can find some great angles.
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 11:44:05 AM

Thanks for your input! I'm thinking I'll probably pick up map pack 4 then, or at least some of the maps from it. It looks like they'll be great for playing with the 4-6 people we usually have.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:12:50 PM

Amadeus wrote:
Thanks for your input! I'm thinking I'll probably pick up map pack 4 then, or at least some of the maps from it. It looks like they'll be great for playing with the 4-6 people we usually have.

Are you usually all playing on the same map? This is primarily a 2-player game, so if you're primarily playing multi-player I'm curious what scenario/rules you prefer. With the map pack, you'd be set to all play on different maps if you want.
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:34:08 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

Are you usually all playing on the same map? This is primarily a 2-player game, so if you're primarily playing multi-player I'm curious what scenario/rules you prefer. With the map pack, you'd be set to all play on different maps if you want.

Usually we have everyone play on the same map with 100 points each (though we have done 150 point games). We have slightly different rules for activations to keep turns faster when people have a lot of low-cost grunts. Its always been FFA style, but people will usually make deals with others.

Last game for instance, my one friend with a bunch of uniques and rakghouls made a deal with me (republic) and my other friend (rebels) to let him across a hallway I had under control so he could get at the Imperial player. I agreed since the imperial player was harrassing my lower-end bounty hunters and I wanted him distracted. After he moved his guys across, he sent Mara Jade back into the hallway and unleashed a blaster barrage. Politics came into play then and he had been counting on the imperial player seeing his gesture and teaming up with him, but instead was teamed up on by everyone else. Making deals really adds to the gameplay and adds some interesting risks, but it does make our skirmishes pretty long.

The map packs would be more for variety than having seperate games. Its meant to be something fun we do together.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:40:25 PM

When we do multi-player, we usually play that you have to eliminate the player on your left. That prevents the teaming up factor... if you team up against someone you're just helping someone else to win.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:43:59 PM

Map Pack 5 has 4 maps that fit together in different configurations, so you could have a larger battleground if desired.
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:49:02 PM

Well teaming up isn't always such a bad thing. It sets things up so nicely for betrayal, and we rarely have it where everyone on the map solely goes after a single player without reason. The only real issues we have with it is people getting a starting position in the middle hallway (which is usually me) and getting attacked by everyone because they're accessible by everyone. That's how I almost lost last time if it hadn't been for my 4-LOM and E552 escaping elsewhere.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:56:55 PM

Amadeus wrote:
Well teaming up isn't always such a bad thing. It sets things up so nicely for betrayal, and we rarely have it where everyone on the map solely goes after a single player without reason. The only real issues we have with it is people getting a starting position in the middle hallway (which is usually me) and getting attacked by everyone because they're accessible by everyone. That's how I almost lost last time if it hadn't been for my 4-LOM and E552 escaping elsewhere.

Especially not bad if you have even numbers on the board and if you enjoy the political factor of the game. Just a different type of game. In 3-player (what we usually would play... if we have 4 we'll play 2 separate games), in a free-for-all, the winning move is to avoid engagement and let the other two fight, then come in with full strength to fight the winner (or both of them in a weakened state). You can try to negotiate a truce to go attack the guy who is hiding, though.
donnyrides
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:00:45 PM

@Amadeus If that is how you like to play, I highly recommend you and your group try this game:
A_Game_of_Thrones

My friends and I play this. We schedule about 4 hours to play it and it is all about diplomacy and backstabbing.
Amadeus
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:14:49 PM

donnyrides wrote:
@Amadeus If that is how you like to play, I highly recommend you and your group try this game:
A_Game_of_Thrones

My friends and I play this. We schedule about 4 hours to play it and it is all about diplomacy and backstabbing.

There's probably a copy in the Math Society board game vault, might try it out. We had a lot of fun with a game called Diplomacy, we take 30 minutes each turn debating alliances and stuff. It goes on for hours and we rarely finish.

FlyingArrow wrote:
Especially not bad if you have even numbers on the board and if you enjoy the political factor of the game. Just a different type of game. In 3-player (what we usually would play... if we have 4 we'll play 2 separate games), in a free-for-all, the winning move is to avoid engagement and let the other two fight, then come in with full strength to fight the winner (or both of them in a weakened state). You can try to negotiate a truce to go attack the guy who is hiding, though.

This is a major problem we have. A few games back one guy tried out an all-fringe build we had planned out earlier focused around the Bith and Rodian Black Sun Vigos and a lot of stealh/blacksun followers and mobile attackers. He tucked himself in a corner and stayed there the entire game, while the other 5 of us fought. In the end he had to leave and I took over his stuff (I had been annihilated earlier caught between rebels and imperials) and won with his army, but none of us liked how that went. Kinda wish we could find a solution to this.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:25:49 PM

Amadeus wrote:
In the end he had to leave and I took over his stuff (I had been annihilated earlier caught between rebels and imperials) and won with his army, but none of us liked how that went. Kinda wish we could find a solution to this.

The format I mentioned above solves the problem. If he sits, he isn't killing his target. Once one person is eliminated the game ends and whoever was targeting that person wins.

Another way to play is to play for points. (Actually, I believe that is the official SWM multi-player format. Not sure.) You get points for each character that you defeat. First player to defeat X points wins, where X is the size of the build that each player brings to the table. It's bittersweet in that format when you weaken someone down to 10hp but an opponent sweeps in for the kill to take the points.