RegisterDonateLogin

The ability to drink Bloo Milk does not make you intelligent.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Jax Pavan Question. Options
darthbinks1
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 5:48:41 PM
Groups: Member

As some of you know I don't do v-sets. I have been playing for a while (few years non-competitive obviously), but I'm still coming across pieces that seem like fun to play. So...yesterday I came across Jax Pavan. His numbers really popped of the page to me for only 16 cost points. Is he used in competitive play? Maybe after I get him and use him I'll understand him better. At first glance, he seems great for the cost. I feel similar about the genoharadan assassins (Stormie Han build seems best). A bunch of them and Jax will be arriving in about a week.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 6:11:50 PM

I've never seen him used - I guess you could load him up with CEs and SAs, and get something out of him, but I think Rebels have better shooters (lots of the Hans are options) and I don't think he's robust enough to work in the Republic. The other Republic/Rebel guys in Dark Times are really solid - Ferus Olin is really strong with his bodyguard/dark temptation combination, and Dass Jennir has huge damage potential with Dispassionate Killer and Twin.
darthbinks1
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 6:13:50 PM

yea, I couldn't see building around him, but squeezing him in for 16 into a Grand Master Yoda squad seems fun. Maybe it is just that...fun.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:04:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think I've only used him in a squad once or twice. But one of those games he was a key piece. Trying to remember...

Okay - got it. Here is the squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/110290/galen-marek

I was playing against death shots so basing them with the Melee pieces didn't work so well. Evade from Rieekan went away. But Jax was able to shoot at the troops to pick them off, and he could then stand there and take the death shots... Evade + Mettle + Yoda's force points meant he was basically able to stand there and avoid a TON of damage. I don't think he survived but he ended up being a tank in that matchup, and absolutely key to the win. Without him that squad would have lost the matchup.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:26:57 PM

The thing is, as a shooter, he needs a Czerka to get 40 damage, and even then, that's only against adjacent enemies. The combo costs 29 points.

For 28 points, Dash RS can put out 80 damage at +10, as long as he has opportunist.

For 33, Rex can put out 80 at +12, although he doesn't benefit from many CEs since he has one.

For 27, Han Smuggler can put out an accurate 40 damage at +14, as long as he has opportunist.

Just seems like there's often going to be a better option. Maybe if you have a squad that's making other use of Yularen and a Czerka - something like this greentime squad from http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/87009/dass-jennir-superstar--tile-wars- which he states is more of a fun squad:

--DASS JENNIR SUPERSTAR (Tile Wars)--
35 Anakin Skywalker on STAP
32 Dass Jennir
24 Commander Ahsoka
24 Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Trainer
21 Admiral Yularen
18 Jar Jar Binks
16 Jax Pavan
13 Czerka Scientist
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
(198pts. 11 activations)