RegisterDonateLogin

I'm the only human who can drink it.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Capture the Flag Scenario Options
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:07:58 PM
Groups: Member

Just for fun, I decided to create a small capture-the-flag style scenario for myself. Rather than being a detailed play report, this will mostly be describing the scenario setup. Feedback will be appreciated!

I played on the map Teth Courtyard, and designed it similar to the one-flag CTF in Battlefront II.

First thing I did was find the exact center of the map. There, I placed a flag (an upside-down damage counter). In order to capture the flag, a piece would need to end its move on it.
After that, I chose two opposite corners. The four squares in the corner of the map were designated as the scoring area -- in order to win, a character with the flag would need to end its move in the opponent's scoring area.

I played this game with 150 point squads. I placed each of the squads in one of the two designated corners. They were allowed to be up to four squares away from the corner square. The corner that they were placed in was their own scoring area, so they had to take the flag to the opponent's scoring area.

I then added an unusual addition. At the end of every four rounds, each squad could add new characters (I called them reinforcements) to their squad so that it equaled 150 points. The new characters would be placed in the squad's scoring area. So, if one squad had only 42 points in characters by the end of the fourth round, they would be able to add 108 points of new characters. (Unique rules still applied.)

This made the game a bit interesting. The whole point of this was the make the game a bit more difficult, as the person with the flag would have to fight through the opponent's squad and the opponent's reinforcements. In addition, it would take their own reinforcements longer to get to the engagement. I predicted at the beginning that speed would be big, and it was. The squad that won my game had a Luke with Master Speed, which allowed them to just barely rush by the opposing forces.

In my opinion, this game is pretty balanced, if not too much so. The more one squad extends into the other's territory, the longer it takes their reinforcements to arrive and the quicker the enemy reinforcements arrive. Plus, the more characters a squad kills, the more reinforcements the other squad receives after four rounds.

I think that four rounds is the perfect number: three is too frequent, and five is not frequent enough. What I might do in future games is set a time limit. The winner will be either the squad that scores first or the squad with the most points once the time runs out.

Anyway, feedback! It would be great to have your thoughts on this kind of scenario-playstyle kind of thing, and whether or not you think it would work for other maps and/or different size squads.
knappskirata
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:05:31 PM

Sounds cool. For unique rules, if a Luke dies, no more likes can be used right? Look forward to trying
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:08:39 PM

Cool idea :) I guess that's easier than putting a flag on each side of the map and playing it that way.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 8:42:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sounds cool, but it sounds more like football (carry the ball to the opponent's goal) than what I think of with 'capture the flag'.
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:29:32 PM

I like it a lot! Very balanced and interesting!

One thing I'm not clear on, though. Do you flat out win if you get the flag to the opponent's scoring area? Or, do you score a point (presumably with the flag resetting to the middle immediately), with the objective being to score a certain number of times (say, 5)?

SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:08:14 AM

Corranhorn, in the way I played it, you flat out win when you score. After all, it seems to take forever to score.

Also, I played this again, but on the Coruscant Streets map with Empire against Republic. From that game, I think that it would be best to change it so that the second wave and every following wave of reinforcements arrive after five rounds of play, instead of four. The first wave would still arrive at the end of the fourth round of play, but the second wave would arrive after the ninth, the third after the thirteenth, and so on. That should make scoring a bit easier and the game slightly quicker. Otherwise, it could never end.

I have yet to play this in 100 or 200 point format, so I don't know what the round spacing for reinforcements should be with those. Maybe three with 100 points, and five or six with 200?
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:44:11 AM

How big of aproblem are movement breakers?
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:21:36 PM

Well, in the first game I played, it was pretty big. I know that it was a character with Master Speed that won it.

However, in my second game, it did seem so big of an issue. The first problem is that a movement breaker needs to get the flag. And if the entire squad targets it, it would probably go down fast. Otherwise, I'd call it good squad construction for a capture-the-flag.

All in all, I'd say that anything over Speed 8 should be cleared with your playing partner, since it can allow you to just run straight past them and score, if you ignore AoO.

Note: I have yet to play a game with movement breakers. And I doubt that I will be able to, seeing as all I have are a few Jedi with Master Speed and a Basilisk War Droid.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:28:50 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

"Yobuck in Your Face" would probably win pretty quickly, then. Foul carries R2. Swap Yobuck with Foul. R2 tows Yobuck. Yobuck runs for the win. That's 12+12+26 = 52 spaces worth of movement in one round.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 1:10:52 PM

It's always possible to simply ban a few pieces for the format...

Doombot, Foul, etc
leshippy
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:32:38 PM

we have ran capture the Han in carbonite on Jedi Cartographers 4 Mos Eisley maps. No character is allowed to have over speed 6. Rules are pretty simple. End your turn next to Han and "carry" him back to your side of the map.
theConsortium
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:42:07 AM

I've played an interesting capture-the-flag scenario before, and I've found that the best way to solve the movement issue is to make the character with the flag susceptible to certain movement rules. For instance, the character carrying the flag gains Speed 6 (but only if their Speed is usually higher than 6). Abilities such as Wheel Form, Accelerate, Flight, Wall Climber, Knight Speed, Master Speed, Force Leap, and other such abilities cannot be used by the person carrying the flag. The person with the flag cannot be “swapped” using the Commander Effects of Thrawn, Panaka, Palpatine, ect. They also cannot benefit from Tow Cable.

This helps the game from being broken, and I believe that BFII used similar rules (I remember the Jet Trooper not being able to use his jetpack when carrying the flag). It can make the game even more challenging, but it depends on what rules you and the person you’re playing with agree to.
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:39:46 AM

@FlyingArrow, Foul cannot carry R2, check Master Lift again, he can only carry living allies. Any way you want to slice it though, that's a lot of movement, regardless.
pegolego
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:00:40 AM

Awesome! I must try it. What happens if a squad is obliterated? Do you just not take a turn until you get reinforcements, or do you lose? Also, what Consortium said read my mind. Movement restrictions (maybe not quite that extreme), and certainly no swapping while carrying the flag.
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 7:58:58 AM

Me likey, i'll try tonight with my brother and play with consortium's speed rules. Can't wait to see what Durge on Speeder will be able to do :)
shatterpoint7
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:07:23 PM

why not just say that all Speeds are legal (but no swapping), but a character with the flag can only move 6 squares in a turn regardless of Speed 8, 10 etc. (and no moving double speed like you can without the flag).