RegisterDonateLogin

Programmed for etiquette and protocol.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Player Options
harryg
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 9:26:55 AM
Groups: Member

Played a game recently with a player completely new to the SWM community. To be fair I gave him 25 extra points since it was his first game.
He ran:
Darth Sidious, Sith Mastermind 100
Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith 62
Blizzard Force AT-ST 47
Admiral Motti 11
Stormtrooper 5

I ran DARPH NADER's Mace Insanity
Yoda, Hero of Geonosis 100
Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side 65
Qui-Gon Jinn, Force Spirit 16
R2-D2, Astromech Droid 9
Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2 10
He won map choice and chose Cloud City. I set up on the left side (farthest from the ship).

Right away I knew Mace would be in trouble because of No Disintegrations. I haunted Yoda with qui-Gon. We rolled for initiative, I hit reserves for 4 more Spaartis, but he won because of Palps CE. He moved the AT-ST and motti up and I advance my forces. Round 2, the At-st attacks mace who successfully reflects the attack. The AT-ST still takes no damage because of Damage Reduction 10. Mace runs up and hits it 3 times mainly because mottis doctrine of fear is still 7 square away. Then Yoda leaping assaults in and finishes it off. Storm trooper advances next phase and the spaartis shoot it up. Rest of the spaartis that round focus on motti as palps and Vader are still not in the fray yet. Mottis brought down to 20 HP. Third round, spaartis and yoda move down to attack Vader. Spaartis all miss, but yoda leaps in again (away from his bodyguards) and drops 90 on him, but is brought down to 60 himself due to Djem So. Mace finishes Motti and is towed back into the fray. Palpatine then uses lightning to sacrifice a weakened Vader, but also kill 4 spaartis, Doombot, and bring yoda to 10 hp. Next round, he rolls a 1 for initiative, so yoda with Ataru style bring palps to 30 hp. Palps kills yoda and qui-gon, so mace gets 11 more force points. Mace finishes palps. Game over, 235-145. It was a close game for a first time player.
harryg
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 10:38:23 AM

Looking back that was kind of a Bounty Hunter's Challenge game!
gholli69
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:18:10 AM

Palps must have made some really terrible parry saves against yoda HOG, even with the Ataru going off I would have thought palps would have had more than 30 HP left.
harryg
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:27:10 AM

Yeah the force was not with him.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 5:06:40 PM

That is a way cool way to get new players into the game, by using low act high potency builds to foster the battle. Two very good opposing forces to pit against each other.

I'm honored you chose my build, I must say it has been supremely fun to run. Hopefully your new player enjoyed the game and will take it up. ThumpUp
harryg
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 5:13:47 PM

It is a really fun build to run. That's my favorite kind of build. Fun and effective. And as for the new player, I'm going to try to introduce key concepts one at a time. A strafe squad, then a tempo squad, and so on and so on.