RegisterDonateLogin

You must drink what you think is right, of course.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Are caedus squads playable in the current meta? Options
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:45:56 AM
Groups: Member

With the meta shake up happening it makes us sith lovers wonder if caedus can hack it.

SignerJ asked...
"What does everything think about this piece's viability now, with Daala and Talon/Klats in the meta?"

That's a very good question. What do you guys think?
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:49:42 AM

I don't think Caedus can stand up to Daala and Talon, so I would not take him to a tournament. However, he is still a very strong character and should beat a lot of the other squads around.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:17:47 PM

I would be scared to run Sith as a whole at the moment, to be honest, but if I did, I think a Caedus/shooter squad has as much chance as any Sith build. slthrd2 won Chicago with this last year:

Quote:
Darth Cadeus SL
Jaq
Lobot
G.A.R.Y.
Czerka
Rodian Brute x 2
Sith recruit x 2
GAG guards x 2

I do think Caedus and Revan Sith Lord are the two building blocks for the Sith's competitive squads, because they both provide movement, which is extremely important, and other game controlling abilities like Revan's Master Tacticians. I don't think anyone's won a Regional with a Sith without Caedus or Revan, but I might be wrong.
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:52:03 PM

I think Caedus is just as good as ever, it's just that he is "last year's news" and Daala/KArrde/etc are this year's new hotness. Happened all the time with WOTC pieces and does with the V-sets as well. People want to play whatever the NEW hotness is.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:59:06 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I think Caedus is just as good as ever, it's just that he is "last year's news" and Daala/KArrde/etc are this year's new hotness. Happened all the time with WOTC pieces and does with the V-sets as well. People want to play whatever the NEW hotness is.

I do agree with the NEW hotness statement, but I think it's only a partial explanation. As a player, while part of me wants to try new things, part of me also just wants to play whatever gives me the best chance of winning a tournament or game. Sometimes this is choosing something new and surprising, sometimes it's an old favourite that I'm comfortable running.

My take on the current situation is that we have two popular and powerful new pieces in Daala and Talon Kardde that can both support a wide range of squad types, and are very popular. One major thing that both builds have in common is Ysalamari - Talon has it, and Daala's often paired with Pellaeon who also has it.

I think two very popular builds both having Ysalamari at the same time does shift things a lot. It makes it very tough for a lot of Jedi, while the strafe hate like Buzz Droids and Tantives from v-set 7 also probably makes it tougher for Jedi since Jedi are good against strafe pieces with high hit points and force powers like riposte.

I do think it's a different scenario than in previous years - in previous v-set years we basically saw more and more squads added to the competitive meta. While all the previously good squads are still fundamentally good, having a couple of really strong new and popular squads, and have basically won all the major events between them so far this season, and seem like they're constricting things a bit. It'd be good to see some more tough matchups in the meta for Daala especially, to bring things back into balance.

In playtesting for LowerHuttACon, my friend and I were finding that Snow Troopers are pretty tough to beat for anything that either can't kill a few of them in one phase. If you can't get through them quickly enough, they can do a lot of damage quickly (at +20), and they're fast with Charging Fire, plus they have access to Pellaeon and Ozzel who are both power 11 pieces in their own right. Dr Daman's Raxus Prime Troopers also attack high, especially with Needa in there, and they're way more unpredictable with the Wall Climber, Repulsor Sled's speed, and the Imperial Officer's cannon CE.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Friday, July 4, 2014 8:53:15 AM

I ran Caedus a lot last year and had a lot of success last year. I won Chicago and was in the top 4 in Michigan with it. I also won the GC vset only tourney with Caedus/Zannah on my way to my 2nd Sith Trials championship. I ran Bad GAS at the championship losing to Deri in a close game that would have put me in the top 8 and beating Ben and his top 8 Krayt/Reven squad. While I placed 10th I always thought Caedus was just on the outskirts of tier 1. Better than T1.5 but not quite T1. I would have probably called him T1.1. We got a lot more stuff out that hurts Caedus squads like more Brutal Strike and other unpreventable damage, that combined with Daala/Talon and bubbles has pushed Caedus even lower IMO. The thing I like about Caedus is that although a bad matchup, he still has a chance if you can force your opponent into a mistake that a nice SBM can take full advantage of. Caedus still can be dangerous but I don't think he fits well in this meta at all. I wish I was wrong but that's the way I see it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:37:34 AM

Dr Daman's squad is nuts good. I completely overlooked it at first, but it's actually quite powerful.

--Cane and Able--
63 Darth Bane, Sith'ari
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
30 Vergere
17 Marka Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
16 Sith Recruit x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 11 activations)

Bane get haunted by Marka and gains CA6 from Vergere. Exar will generally haunt Marka to keep Banes FP's up. Bane is so hard to put down with the added defensive capabilities and even more so when Exar has his aura turned on.

I barely beat it in the NZ vassal championship match, and that was only due to luck. Even having double override and a beefy strafer (Luke and Leia on speeder), I couldn't keep them at bay. If he would drop 2 pawns for an R7, the match wouldn't have even been close.

Bane is just so hard to take down. Illusion and a crap ton of force points with Exar's Dark Aurra is nuts. Crab armor to boot. I literally never got damage through to either Caedus or Bane even once in our match.

I usually say that Caedus + shooters is the way to go - but this squad makes me think twice. Caedus becomes the support piece to set up the big damage of Bane.

Even in this meta - I think this squad could do well.
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:56:32 AM

What?! Can you really haunt Marka's Force Spirit with Exar's?! That's crazy!
countrydude82487
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:11:05 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
What?! Can you really haunt Marka's Force Spirit with Exar's?! That's crazy!

yep you can haunt a ghost, as long as it has a force rating. THe principal was set with yoda force spirit.