RegisterDonateLogin

Most likely unavailable at your FLGS.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Yuuzhan Vong Squads, to Swarm or not to swarm? Options
Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:53:11 PM
Groups: Member

Hey guys, I have been thinking about the Vong and I was wondering if anyone is still playing them? I know they have never been popular, but I was curious if all the love they got in Armed and Operational has paid off any?
I have heard they have done well in some regionals, but my main question is:

With commander Sha'kel, do you think non-swarm Vong squads are feasible? Or even playable?

After taking a long hard look at the Vong I tried out a couple options to see how they are working right now. The best squad I came up with were:
Spitting at Infidels http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/139116/spitting-at-infidels
(A typical Vong Super-Stealth squad, but with upgrades and Shooters. I tried it with Cad Baner too)

Gratch Lugg Richarggggh http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/139222/gratch-lugg-richarggggh
(trying to boost the Chazrach and getting them into battle, sub optimal at this point)

A vong Reinforcements/Reserves squad
(which is always going to be limited by the same factors that other Reserves squads are.)

and most recently what I think works best:
YV WARriors: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/143972/-yv-warriors
(Taking the Lah Warriors to the best balence of power, range and amount)

Notice the trend? All swarm like.

Anything you have been cooking up you think is better? Or a decent non-swarm Vong squad? I think Sha'kel may have it in him, but whenever I compare a squad he is in to YV WARriors or other like squads I realize how limited he actually is.

Feel free to push back.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:16:49 AM
Groups: Member

Zenoc Quah was a very obvious and intentional step to encourage diversity (non-swarms) in Vong builds.

Sha'kel is great - but this was not the meta for him to shine. If the pendulum swings back toward big beats, then he'll be one to seriously consider.

I was planning on playing (and actually brought to GenCon, switching my squad the night before) this squad:
--Spit-Bomb Brigade--
34 Nom Anor
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
27 Lobot
19 Yomin Carr
34 Peace Brigade Soldier x2
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Givin Black Sun Slicer
6 Advance Scout
24 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x6

(200pts. 15 activations)

Up to 27 activations, this squad is nasty. The only reason I decided to change it was the last minute floor rules change. It plays slow, and it would really struggle with 10pt gambit and 1 pt losses.

Without a time limit I think this might be one of the strongest squads out there. The problem is that opponents slow down when they play it because there is no good way to attack it. If you attempt to fly in and go to town against it, you get munched.