RegisterDonateLogin

Recommends never trying to milk a rancor.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Building with Emperor Palpatine, Reborn Options
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:59:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't want to take up a bunch of comments over on this squad

But I think there is an interesting topic here, what is the best build for Palpatine, Reborn? I think he is a great piece and one of my favorites from the newest set. He is a blast and he can be tough as nails with some fodder and all those Force Points. TheHutts brings up an interesting point, maybe Thrawn isn't the best option for him. And if so that would be the first other non-Daala alternative (if competitive) in a long time. On the other hand (of the Emperor) Thrawn is the best for a reason and he can work very well swapping Palps in the right place to let off a good Force Storm or Dark Assault.

I've played with him a few times now and I think there is potential in a non-Thrawn build. In fact I played the most Rock Squad ever of Palpatine and Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith and it was really really fun, maybe not tier 1, but it was great to run an Imperial Squad that was beefy and didn't rely on Thrawn.

Emperor Palpatine, Reborn Cost 83
Hit Points: 180
Defense: 22
Attack: 15
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Absolute Devotion (Whenever this character would take damage, he may attempt a save of 6. On a success, a living ally within 6 squares may take the damage instead.)
Rapport (Characters named Imperial Sentinel cost 10 less when in the same squad as this character)
Unstable Clone (When this character activates, he takes 10 damage; save 11)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 3 (This character gets 3 Force points each time he activates)
Master of the Force 3 (May spend Force points up to 3 times in a single turn)
Dark Assault 3 (Force 3: If this character doesn't move this turn, he gets +4 Attack and +20 Damage on all his attacks this turn)
Force Lightning 4 (Force 4, replaces attacks: range 6; 50 damage to target. Huge or smaller characters are considered activated this round; save 16)
Force Storm 5 (Force 5, replaces turn: 50 Damage to all characters within 4 squares)
Lightsaber Defense (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Commander Effect
Imperial allies whose names contain Sentinel or Guard get +4 Attack and gain Double Attack.

Squads I've built and had some success with
--Reborn and Rebuilt Dark Lords--
83 Emperor Palpatine, Reborn
72 Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith
11 Admiral Ozzel
10 Stormtrooper x2
24 Ugnaught Demolitionist x8

Preferred Reserves:
(Admiral Ozzel) 20 Stormtrooper x4

--Unending Devotion--
65 Darth Vader, Agent of Evil
11 Admiral Ozzel
11 Stormtrooper Advance Scout
8 Mas Amedda
10 Stormtrooper x2
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

Preferred Reserves:
(Admiral Ozzel) 20 Stormtrooper x4
(Vader AoE) 20 Stormtrooper x4

--Reborn Jade--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
12 Rodian Brute x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:06:58 PM
Groups: Member

Part of my thinking is that urbanjedi has been saying on SHNN that he doesn't think that Thrawn is the best build for Darth Sidious, Sith Mastermind - I think his theory is that it's better to just grab him and a Vader and tank it out.

Palpatine Reborn is similar - he's also a tank. I do think the fact that he's 17 points cheaper means that he's more of an option in a Thrawn squad than Sidious SM is. Quite often successful Thrawn squads feature around 85 points of attackers - think Cad Bane and Arica/Morrigan Corde. Normally you'd include Pellaeon, but he doesn't do much in a squad where your main attacker is reliant on force powers - do you spend 16 points just so you can choose whether to have Ozzel or not? I'd probably do something like this, but it's annoying having to mainline Ozzel and not having a way to remove him. I'd probably go Momaw or Evazan for reinforcements, unless I really need more activations.

--Palps Reborn--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
13 Amanin Scout
11 Admiral Ozzel
24 Rodian Brute x8
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(199pts. 16 activations)

Felucians with the Shaman him are definitely an interesting option for a tank squad - although you'd have problems if you ran into a bad matchup like Accurate Shot or force bubble, which are both likely to be popular with new Boba and Talon Kardde around.
Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:50:18 PM

I personally think he is more of a viable threat with Thrawn. Greater threat range. I also think he is better without Ozzel. that way you can get him where he needs to go faster. Swap him to base an enemy and rip it to pieces or activate his ultimate force storm to wreck a close nit squad (mandos with Kelborn anyone?) I made him with Arica so there is another attacker, but maybe a better option is Klat Assassins so you can have more decent attackers and if you move absolute devotion to one of them then you can trigger Self Destruct. Who know how effective that might be but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
A super tank squad with him and a Vader looks really intimidating, but I don't know how great it would do in the meta.
Andy has played him the most (sounds like) so I think he would know better how that squad actually performs.
Dark Armor 2 would definitely soak up the damage directed at Palps
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:24:25 AM

I guess one thing with 10 point gambit is that mainlining Ozzel is less of an issue than it was previously. If you don't want him, you can stick him in gambit, and it's harder for your opponent to ignore.
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:26:56 PM

Have you thought about using him with the bounty hunter challenge 100 pnt. vader? I recently played a game with sidious sith mastermind and that vader and a squib trader to give them both satchel charge as my entire squad and mopped the floor against a decent General Kota /Galen Marek squad. Dark Armour is really effective and sidious is beastly and it was really fun running just three acts. and still destroying my opponent. That vader would probably play really well with Palps reborn as well and you would even have room for a few more acts. might be able to fit in Dr. Evezan to heal them or something else useful?
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:19:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

gholli69 wrote:
Have you thought about using him with the bounty hunter challenge 100 pnt. vader? I recently played a game with sidious sith mastermind and that vader and a squib trader to give them both satchel charge as my entire squad and mopped the floor against a decent General Kota /Galen Marek squad. Dark Armour is really effective and sidious is beastly and it was really fun running just three acts. and still destroying my opponent. That vader would probably play really well with Palps reborn as well and you would even have room for a few more acts. might be able to fit in Dr. Evezan to heal them or something else useful?

That is personally a little tighter than I like to go, that leaves so little room for fodder, but that Vader is a monster (aand I think underrated so it is certainly worth a try.) Also it really only gives you 3 more points since you aren't getting BHC Sidious's Rapport.

Deathwielded wrote:
I personally think he is more of a viable threat with Thrawn. Greater threat range. I also think he is better without Ozzel. that way you can get him where he needs to go faster. Swap him to base an enemy and rip it to pieces or activate his ultimate force storm to wreck a close nit squad (mandos with Kelborn anyone?)

I agree that Ozzel probably hurts more than he helps from what I've played. Tarkin might be useful for giving the option of 1,2,3 especially with Thrawn and swap.

Deathwielded wrote:

A super tank squad with him and a Vader looks really intimidating, but I don't know how great it would do in the meta.
Andy has played him the most (sounds like) so I think he would know better how that squad actually performs.
Dark Armor 2 would definitely soak up the damage directed at Palps

It is fun I can say at least that, I'm not sure how great it would be in the meta, I've never been a very good judge of that. I have played them a lot, but I'm not the best player nor squad builder so its hard for me to say with any real authority, Dark Armor 2 was very very helpful, and I believe I did well against both Mandos and Sith (I think I won one of those games but I can't recall which. FlyingArrow may remember.)
gholli69
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 12:19:53 PM

Yes you are correct, apparently I forgot to account for BHC sidious's rapport cost so that might be a little tight. I have also played Palps reborn with the felucians though and if you can find a way to keep the Shaman safe around a corner and out of los it is a real pain in the arse for your opponent, unfortunately that is usually easier said than done as most gambit areas are pretty open and you really need to camp in gambit for that tactic to work well, but there are some good maps that it can work on.