RegisterDonateLogin

Will consume you, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Simply competitive? Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:34:58 PM
Groups: Member

Does anyone have any good squads to playtest custom characters against? I'd like to playtest some of my custom characters against some reasonably competitive squads, with the goal of costing them fairly accurately and knowing how they stack up in the meta. However, I'd rather not have to keep wrapping my brain around bazillions of different highly-competitive strategies. I'm not necessarily looking for perfect Tier 1, but just robust and fairly straightforward squads that would give a good idea of how well a piece works (or doesn't work). Thanks! ThumpUp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:37:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Gencon winner is a good choice. Low activation and no reinforcement option to worry about. Find Weeks squads to get the exact squad. (Credit to thereisnotry for the build)

Weeks also has a no Lobot Skybuck/Rex build.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:50:47 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Gencon winner is a good choice. Low activation and no reinforcement option to worry about. Find Weeks squads to get the exact squad.

Thanks! It's the Movin Mandos squad, right?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/142941/movin-mandos-2014-gencon-champion
Echo24
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:53:31 PM

I've been using Solo Charge as my general "test squad" for years, but that's mostly because I enjoy playing it and know it really well. I think that's key for what you're looking for: a squad you're very comfortable with.

TJ's suggestion is a good one, Weeks has made a few pretty simple but competitive squads. Another favorite of mine is Batila/Jaq/Carth/Satele, it's solid and plays straightforward. I'd say look at regionals and GenCon over the past year, find a squad that looks like something you have experience with and would be comfortable with, and use that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 6:13:49 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

CorellianComedian wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Gencon winner is a good choice. Low activation and no reinforcement option to worry about. Find Weeks squads to get the exact squad.

Thanks! It's the Movin Mandos squad, right?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/142941/movin-mandos-2014-gencon-champion

That's the one. Thon Song is another good low activation squad if you want something simple to play against.
SignerJ
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 8:38:26 PM

I like sharron's Spanish Inquisition squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/130788/spanish-inquisition
It's not very complicated, but it has a lot of key meta components thrown into one squad: Master Tactician, Swap, ABM, Lobot, Satele.

This one has tons of meta-related stuff, too: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/126910/charging--swarming--strafing----oh-my--
It contains stuff like Charging Fire, Pawn of the Dark Side, Strafe Attack, Initiative Control, Self-Destruct, and swarm tactics.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:24:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! ThumbsUp