RegisterDonateLogin

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vong on My Shelf - Contest Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:54:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here's a squadbuilding contest for you. I have about 10 squads on my shelf that I pull down on game night. I've been pretty lazy about building new ones. Some of the players who come don't build their own squads and grab one of the ones that are ready for them.

I don't have a Vong squad built right now but I'd like one. The contest: build one! (Or point to one you have previously built.)

Restrictions:

* No Fringe staples. These squads stay built for a while, and the mice, uggies, Lobot, R7s are in high demand. Vong faction has enough in-faction door control, so don't use the Fringe. (Note: Cad Bane is not currently in another squad if you want to use him.)

* No swarms. I have enough swarm squads ready to go. Keep it at 12 activations max. Under 10 is even better. I know that makes it tougher since swarms tend to be Vong's strongest squads.

* Tell me what makes it good. How it runs. A description of at least a couple sentences (and hopefully a couple paragraphs) is required.

Judging criteria:
* Competitive. At least Tier 2. Preferably Tier 1.5. If you can make it Tier 1 given the previous two restrictions, even better, but I'm not expecting that.

* Fun. Hopefully it is fun to play and fun to play against.

* Less complex the better. Relatively new players often grab these squads, so if it isn't too complex that is a bonus.

Prize: This will be built and on my shelf for at least a couple months. It will see the table at least 3 times. Possibly as many as a dozen times. Having your squad actually played is the biggest reward, isn't it?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 1:51:52 PM
Groups: Member

I've played this a couple of times when all the new Vong came out in v-set 7, and it fits your criteria.

Sha'kel gives the squad a movement breaker, and he's a pretty good cleanup fighter. The Quednak can hit deep with the extra 10 squares of movement from Sha'kel, and it's dangerous with Cunning, the +4 and Shaper from Zenoc Quah. You can bring in a second Quednak with Quorreal too - and that one can have Aggressive Negotiations. As well as the Quednak, Minos can hit hard with Twin, and the Yun-Yammka can run 12 with Charging Fire and hit something.

--Sha'kel!--
44 Commander Sha'kel
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
28 Zenoc Quah
27 Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
20 Yuuzhan Vong Hunter on Quednak
19 Yun-Yammka Fanatic
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout

Preferred Reinforcements:
(S. O. Quorreal) 20 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter

(199pts. 10 activations)
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:51:31 PM

I don't know how competitive it is, but I think this is a good one:

60 Warmaster Nas Choka
27 Jakan, Most High Priest
27 Nen Yim
20 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter
11 Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Protector
9 Praetorite Vong Scout

199 Points, 8 activations.

Preferred Reinforcements (very flexible):
Advanced Agent, Officer
Zomana Sekot Scout x2

(As a quick note, if you must have a shooter in your squads, you could switch Jakan and the Praetorite Scout for a Praetorite Priest and a Peace Brigade Soldier.)

Description:
The most complicated part of this squad is remembering the affects of the CEs. The Yammosk makes everything boardwide, of course. The Sekot Scouts not only give door control, but they also give activation control and they have Aggressive Negotiations. Jakan's CE is useful when a character is killed, and Choka's whenever a Vong piece moves.

Nen Yim uses Master Shaper on Nas Choka to boost his Damage potential and his Attack stat to an acceptable value. With Shaper and Scarification, Choka can hit four times standing still at +19 Attack for 40 Damage a hit (if you choose to bring in the Advanced Agent, Officer, he also gains Cunning Attack), or move and hit twice at the same stats.

Choka's Tactician +4, combined with the Scout's Recon, increases the likelihood of a Vong character being able to use Cunning Attack when it is needed.

Choka's CE, combined with the Scout's Pathfinder, helps the Vong characters get across the battlefield quickly. Choka's Speed 8 is obviously helpful in this regard, too. If a Vong dies, Jakan's CE can be used to move Choka adjacent to an enemy for a strong Double/Twin.

The Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter is a secondary attacker, and the Ossus Guard is a bodyguard for Choka who can also be a decent tertiary attacker, with +11 Attack for 40 Damage against unactivated enemies when injured.

The Reinforcements are generally flexible, though the Scouts are highly recommended when another squad has activation control.

In Summation: This squad has a beatstick with 120+ damage potential, a secondary attacker, a bodyguard who can be a third attacker, door control, Tactician +4, Recon, boardwide everything, activation control, and Reinforcements.
8 activations, 11 with the suggested Reinforcements.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 3:43:22 PM

I've Got 2 here that I haven't tried myself. I've tried a different version of Vongserves before and it went rather well.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/129454/vongserves-
--Vongserves!--
50 Voxyn Queen
37 Prefect Da'Gara
27 Nen Yim
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
17 Peace Brigade Soldier
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
10 Domain Lah Warrior

(Prefect Da'Gara) 14 Praetorite Vong Scout x2
(Prefect Da'Gara) 5 Zonoma Sekot Scout

Preferred Reserves:
(Voxyn Queen) 20 Feral Voxyn

(200pts. 12 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/141681/beasts-of-vong
--Beasts of Vong--
51 Celeste Morne
92 Yuuzhan Vong Fire Breather x2
27 Nen Yim
13 Todo 360
7 Ewok Hang Glider
10 Zonoma Sekot Scout x2

(200pts. 8 activations)
juice man
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 11:17:48 AM

No idea how well this will play, but altered a swarm squad to fit your criteria.

--Lah Warriors--
63 Warmaster Tsavong Lah
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
27 Nen Yim
50 Domain Lah Warrior x5
15 Zonoma Sekot Scout x3

(199pts. 12 activations)

Warmaster, on the move, is +23/40, standing still is triple +19/30. His little buddies can move 16 and twin at +10/30. If Tsavong is within 6, they are +14/30.
If they don't move and Tsavong is NOT within 6, they are only +6/20.Sad
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:32:13 AM

Thanks for the entries. I leave this open for a couple more days.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:21:08 PM

--sha'kill--
44 Commander Sha'kel
28 Zenoc Quah
27 Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
10 Domain Lah Warrior
9 Praetorite Vong Scout
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout

(199pts. 10 activations)

A typical Shakel/Minos squad with a domain Lah warrior. I know the synergy is wasted on him but with speed 8, twin, he can move 8 and hit for 60 @ +14 (twin, cunning, +4 from Zenoc). The movement breaker is obvious helpful. Quorreal is the auto include of Vong squads for his versatility with reinforcements.
Minijedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:26:58 AM

Ok, I put this together... not really sure if its even close to competitive... but it seems okish to me??

--Vong-200--
37 Prefect Da'Gara
34 Nom Anor
30 Vergere
28 Nei Rin
28 Zenoc Quah
19 Warrior Caste Subcommander
7 Praetorite Vong Scout

(Prefect Da'Gara) 14 Praetorite Vong Scout x2

Preferred Reserves:
(Prefect Da'Gara) 14 Yuuzhan Vong Hunter

(198pts. 11 activations)

For starters the Yammosk gives all of the Vong rangeless CEs and shaper, also taking advantage of an enemy CE, the Scouts forward positioning allows them to be set up within positions to open up crucial doors early, but them having cloaked makes it safer for them to be there, Zenoc Quah gives all vong followers evade, so its tougher to take them down with ranged attacks, forcing you to get closer to try and melee them... not a good idea with vong, Nom makes all of the Vong ticking time bombs while also allowing you to give the Yammosk (or another character) super stealth, Vergere is always nice to pop VCA6 onto the Yammosk or whatever other crucial character you end up choosing after setup, Nei Rin also increases basically everyones defense by 4 because of VCA, making your tough to hit squad even tougher to hit, and finally... the Warrior Caste Subcommander gives your Scouts a viable attack option... and how you use the reserves can really alter the game...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:12:05 PM

juice man wrote:
No idea how well this will play, but altered a swarm squad to fit your criteria.

--Lah Warriors--
63 Warmaster Tsavong Lah
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
27 Nen Yim
50 Domain Lah Warrior x5
15 Zonoma Sekot Scout x3

(199pts. 12 activations)

Warmaster, on the move, is +23/40, standing still is triple +19/30. His little buddies can move 16 and twin at +10/30. If Tsavong is within 6, they are +14/30.
If they don't move and Tsavong is NOT within 6, they are only +6/20.Sad

Winner. TheHutts and sthlrd2 had similar Minos/Sha'kel squads, which were close runners-up. The Camaraderie and Sha'kel's CE made it more complex than I want to deal with, though. Only 6 different types of pieces here, and only 12 figures. You forgot to mention that the Domain Lah Warriors get Double. So standing still they lose Momentum but they get to hit twice. I'm putting it together now and will probably hit the table tonight.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2015 4:27:44 AM

--We Are Warriors!--
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Nei Rin
27 Lobot
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
22 Yuuzhan Vong High-bred Warrior x2

(200pts. 10 activations)

This squad is deceptive because it looks like you only have two 40hp warriors and a quednak that really are your damage dealers.. Quorreal is worth his weight in gold due to his Loyal Followers ability that gives aggressive negotiations and rapport 1 to his reinforcements. I usually brought 2 high-bred warriors and ignored his CE. (You can usually steal act control with the Yammosk if you need it, so the hard to pull off situational act control wasn't worth it). The High-breds double twin for 160 damage each when everything is popping (shaper, cunning, scarification), and Nei Rin's +4 defene vs non-adjacent and her CE helped them make it to the fight. Then everyone can run double speed and attack, which is amazing with the quednak. Aggressive negotiations is the key though. You can really get right up in someone's grill and wait for the big 120/160 double twin.
Minijedi
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2015 6:43:24 AM

with all that potential, heave forbid you snipe someones CE for GMA lol