RegisterDonateLogin

What a piece of junk!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Alberta/Canada regional (War in the North) - RESULTS Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:56:38 AM
Groups: Member

Alberta Regional (or Canada again if no one else chimes in)

WAR IN THE NORTH!

Saturday, April 11, 1500 hours

Address:
71 Rue Madelene
Beaumont, Alberta

Tournament Start: 1500

200 points
SWMGPA floor rules
restricted Map lists A, B, C and D

Swiss hour long rounds, followed by playoffs for top 4 positions

Head Judge: General_Grievous

More of a friendly tournament as far as no prizes go as our location means none of us can make it to Gencon but expecting a good turn out of players so far.

Contact me via bloomail on here if you have any questions.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 10:26:15 PM

And the results are in! Unfortunately we had some last minute cancellations but still ended up with seven players for our Canadian regional!

Jonathan (General_Grievous or me)
Grievous wheelbike, Spotters/Snipers and Lobot

Daniel (ObiDanKenobi)
Republic Commandos Sev, Fixer, Boss, Scorch, Darman, Niner, Jind, Bacara, Rex

Joshua
Darth Krayt and Darth Talon new versions with Ommin and fodder

Nik (Nik_Gillies)
New Lah, Zenoc, Quarrel, Lah subaltern and warriors, Nom Executer, Yun priest

Nathan
Jax Pavan, I5YQ, Twilek grey paladin, Chewie, Han + Leia with Versatility

Luke
Mandalore on Basilisk, Boba Merc Commander, Scouts x4, Mando scientist

Nolan
Dalaa with many Snowtroopers

After two rounds of round robin the final four were:
Me (Grievous's wheelbike snipe) versus Josh (Krayt Dragon)
Nik (Yun Quah Lah) versus Nathan (Jax Pavan is good now?)

Final between me and Nik, Vong versus wheelbike snipe and such a close game. Lah killed Grievous but clever posistioning and sniping helped me drop his commanders and somehow scrape out a Northern Separatist Victory. General consensus of the night was Vong and Jax Pavan are pretty deadly now. I really enjoyed finally bringing Grievous to a regional win and great day of gaming all around.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:48:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks for the write-up, and congrats! Sounds like you had a great day.

Sorry we didn't have spoilers for you--it's been quite a flurry of activity in the last couple weeks, and it fell through the cracks Blushing
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:03:13 AM

Vong v.s Droids... as it should be.

Could you provide a little more info on the match-ups during swiss?

I'm particularly interested in the Daala and Sith match-ups. SITH in top 4, Oi! Oi!
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 7:33:25 AM

I sure can. Due to 7 players we had to have a free pass each round. First match ups were:

Separatists versus Mandalorians
This game the Mandalorian player chose won map roll and chose Rancor pen. I moved my sniper/spotter and one buzz droid I brought as reinforcements up to protect my cluster. My opponent did not care for my energy shield and attacked anyways, killing 2.5 snipers and the buzz droid. I retaliated by dropping his boba. Then Grievous rushed out and began galloping Scouts. Mandalore flew past and strafed my BX cluster and some support I had waiting out of sight (ewok scout and Gha). When both our teams were dead it came down to just Wheelbike and Baslisk charging each other and it looked like an old school jousting match. Grievous's damage reduction and some rolls helped me win the game. All in 29 minutes so 3 point win.

Imperials versus Rebels
Classic match up of good guys and bad, played on Base. The imperial player was new to the game though and made some major playing mistakes with positioning as well as losing his door control early. Jax Pavan and Chewie were the heroes mowing down the Snowtroopers before they could get to close. Rebel victory 2 points Imperial 1.

Sith versus Republic
This was an interesting game I thought Commandos would sweep the floor with the Sith but our Sith player and I have been playing since the very beginning and he is crazy good too. He won map roll and chose mining colony upper for it's winding passageways and set up Ommin in such a spot in gambit that he could reach out and activate anyone who came near the vent doors. Then he scattered his Ugnaughts around and the game began. Our Republic player tried to make a move towards Ommin but had a Republic Commando activated and other force tricks kept the republic player from moving in swiftly. Sith out-activated Republic every time due to Krayt and the signature move if the day was Krayt transfer essences himself into an Ugnaught and unloaded on a poor adjacent republic Commando with either Sith rage or advantageous. Republic commandos tried to chase down Krayt but couldn't lock him down. All the while Ommin kept getting gambit. We commented afterwards if Dan had just sent his commandos in force for gambit after Ommin it may have been a different game. Sith victory 2 points, one point republic.

Vong gets an unneeded buy first round

Second round:

Separatist versus Imperial
This whole game could be summed up in one sentence. Poor positioning and classic Imperial accuracy. We played on Theed and he underestimated the range of my Wheelbike clumping half of his troops into one group of ten while the rest advance more staggered a different route. Naturally I rushed as far as I could first round and won the initiative next round before he could move his buzz droid into position. I galloped and wiped out half his team in one bloody charge. This would not have been so bad if for the fact that the surviving Snowtroopers couldn't land a hit if their life depended on it. Grievous did get wounded down to 50 though. Some of the flanking Snowtroopers dropped a spotter and sniper but the survivors came and finished off the flankers as well as intuition moved to support Grievous. Next two rounds I galloped again and ran over the two buzz droids getting dropped to 30. But again the imperials literally rolled nothing above a 3 as well as four 1s. Grievous saved his malfunctioning and finished off the attacking Snowtroopers while his snipers took out Daala and Mas. 3 point Sep victory.

Republic versus Rebel
Battle occurred on Cantina and both players rushed towards gambit. Commandos tried to kill Chewie and that was their first and last mistake. Chewie survived with 40 hp and began his greater monolingual 60-80 damage overwhelming force barrage on the poor commandos. They were lit up fiercely and he lost one each round to the enraged Wookie who used his team mates for meat shields. At he end of the game it was just Chewie and Leia left as they mopped up the last commando. 3 point victory for Rebels. Chewie being upset is crazy.

Vong versus Mandalorians
Vong own map roll and again picked Rancor Pen for huge friendliness. Vong used battle ready to close the distance early on. Fett and his scouts just couldn't hit the advancing Vong who evaded at 7 and saved damage at the same. Mandalore did the best when he got off his one good strafe killing two warriors, the scout and wounded most others for 20 damage. But the Vong persisted and systematically slew every mandalorian. 3 point victory for Vong

Sith won the buy for the round

Standings at and of round robin
Separatists 6
Rebels 5
Vong 3 (plus the buy in)
Sith 2 (plus the buy in)
Imperials 1
Republic 1
Mandalorians 0

And from here we progressed to final four classic elimination tournament. I will post those details later on.