RegisterDonateLogin

More useful than 90% of Rebel Storm.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : will it be worth waiting for (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
ABSOLUTLY 39 66.101694 %
maybe but not replacing champion of the sith 9 15.254237 %
not at all 3 5.084745 %
oh my god why did they do this to Maul... 8 13.559322 %

new maul? Options
IG-108
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:26:47 AM
Groups: Member

I still don't believe the new Maul will be better than Champion of the Sith. But that's just my opinion.
arrcot
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:30:11 PM

i is upset. teh new maul is not even close to teh maul i had hoped for... now im sad.
lukey84
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:09:15 PM

is he as bad as you thought hed be?
DarthReeves
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:17:51 PM

Maul from Champions = Champion
Maul from JA = Apprentice. Why is it so hard to believe that he isn't the mightiest piece ever? I think he's great, especially if I run him with Revan. He's a very inexpensive Sith, gives him some play. You'd be crazy to think that apprentice would be this Ultimate Figure. Perfect in my opinion
Sithfan
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:26:55 AM

DarthReeves wrote:
Maul from JA = Apprentice. Why is it so hard to believe that he isn't the mightiest piece ever? I think he's great, especially if I run him with Revan. He's a very inexpensive Sith, gives him some play. You'd be crazy to think that apprentice would be this Ultimate Figure. Perfect in my opinion

So you're saying that he's totally worth the 43 points as long as you have 88 points with him... What I think everyone was expecting was stats along the same lines [or identical to] the new Assaj Ventress but for Sith...

Quote:
Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin
Cost 43
Hit points 110
Defense 20
Attack 12
Damage 20

Unique
Melee Attack; Double Attack
Loner
(+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Rolling Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, she can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force 3
Sith Rage
(Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Take another look at her stats... And tell me that those stats wouldn't be a perfect fit for an Apprentice Maul...
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:37:33 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Whats really messed is what if Asajj had Maul's stats and Maul had Ventress', everyone would be saying the same thing only about Asajj. No piece ever lives up to everyones hopes because everyone expects different things out of something. It could be worse, Maul could only have Double Attack and 3 FPs.
lukey84
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:54:44 AM

agreed, no piece is ever perfect. but he'll still be fun.
DarthReeves
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:14:45 AM

Sithfan wrote:
DarthReeves wrote:

So you're saying that he's totally worth the 43 points as long as you have 88 points with him... What I think everyone was expecting was stats along the same lines [or identical to] the new Assaj Ventress but for Sith...

Quote:
Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin
Cost 43
Hit points 110
Defense 20
Attack 12
Damage 20

Unique
Melee Attack; Double Attack
Loner
(+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Rolling Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, she can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force 3
Sith Rage
(Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Take another look at her stats... And tell me that those stats wouldn't be a perfect fit for an Apprentice Maul...

Yeah but the Seps only have 3 or so good melee pieces so it's ok to have Ventress with her stats over there. She doesn't have the crit on 18,19,20 does she? She can't be swapped somewhere, she can't benefit from Krayt's extra attack. She can't get the extra 4 attack from Malak. I think they may have made Maul cost so little because the Sith you put him with will make him incredible. I think that's something we'll start to see more and more. THeir cost isn't just their abilities, it takes into consideration the commander effects they already have there.
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:54:20 AM

He's a freaking Apprentice! No one should have been expecting him to be that good. He's a semi-cheap sith fighter, which is good, butI just don't get why so many people kept thinking he was going to be some god-like piece.
Overall, the piece seems okay to me, especially since you can give him renewal with holo Sidious.
Sithfan
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:13:51 AM

DarthReeves wrote:
Yeah but the Seps only have 3 or so good melee pieces so it's ok to have Ventress with her stats over there. She doesn't have the crit on 18,19,20 does she? She can't be swapped somewhere, she can't benefit from Krayt's extra attack. She can't get the extra 4 attack from Malak. I think they may have made Maul cost so little because the Sith you put him with will make him incredible. I think that's something we'll start to see more and more. THeir cost isn't just their abilities, it takes into consideration the commander effects they already have there.

So.. what you're saying is that when Maul is with Sidious, Krayt, and Malak (which is 182 points) he's cheap for his 43 cost... I will agree with that Razz

I know that I'm outnumbered on thinking that we should have gotten more for 43 points, but hey, I'm a Sithfan, not a NewRepublicFan (Which this set heavily favored)...

I look at figures like Kol Skywalker (38) or Mara Jade (45), and say "Why can't the Sith have a figure like that?"
defender390
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:52:05 AM

I think faction support definitely contributed to the cost, just like the Lancer. Maul actually has commander effects, but Ventress is rather limited as far as commander effects for living characters. However, I do think the new Maul should be a bit cheaper. I certainly do not think he should be more powerful, since I never really thought the charcter was very powerful, but a cost of 39 would be more appropriate in my opinion. I am still annoyed about Vaapad, though.
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:17:24 PM

You really have to choose which commanders to run with him. You have a few options:

A) Run him with JA Sid for swapping. You lose the option for renewal, but gain a powerful movement breaker.
B) Run him with Malak and Holo Sid. He now has a +15 attack plus renewal. Unfortunately, he is probably not going to pull off a Triple Rage. Lack of a movement breaker also means he may get shot to pieces.
C) For 200 point games, you can expand upon option B by including Darth Nihl. When he crits, Maul can really hurt the opposition. Again, though, very vulnerable to shooters.

Those are basically your options IMHO. You can try to fit in Krayt, but I don't see the point. Without a movement breaker (it will be too expensive to include JA Sidious), the Quad Rage is just a fantasy.
awesome
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:09:46 AM

The only thing extra Id want to see on this maul is rolling cleave,

BUT why are you people so upset with him???? look at darth NIHILUS! he sucks out loud for 44 points maul(or anyone else) could beat him easily, but with Maul he isnt going to die in 1 shot so dont think hes going to be "easy" to kill, he isnt always going to be in the open,

and TRIPLE attack for the cost, thats good,

do you guys know if they are making a starter or map pack for this set?
turkveal
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:33:43 PM

I'm pretty content with the new maul, lets be honest he didnt do that much in the movies and he was still an apprentice. Ventress gives me the same feeling rarely do you see her do anything but loss battles and raise up her fist like Dr. claw saying "i'll get you next time (insert jedi here)" I feel her stats are more then she deserves that being said i do enjoy both figs.
sharron
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:05:24 PM

im with awesome. any starter sets?? with a shimrra jaamane?? omg... awesome..!!!