RegisterDonateLogin

Obi-Kenobi approved.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

California Regional June 27, 2015 Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 9:30:16 AM
Groups: Member

Greetings from Korriban!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sith are rising once again, seething with raw Dark Force energy, to announce that there will be a SWM 200pt constructed California Regional Championship on Saturday, June 27th, 2015, 2:00pm, at THE BUNKER HOBBIES & GAMES in Lakewood, CA! Myself and the guys are honored to host this years event for the 5th year in a row! We welcome everyone on the West Coast, California, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, or anyone else that wants to participate. This event will follow all the current competition rules set forth by the previous leader, Wizards of the Coast, to the updates our new leaders of the SWM community have ruled. Still holding strong, SWM Gamers, which as everyone knows by now, have now released 9 phenomenal new virtual sets, plus a few micro sets! Please join us in battle as we slash, Force push, lightning, grip, Sith sorcery, whirlwind, blast, grenade, missles, pulse cannon, atlatyl, razorbug, and thud bug the day away. We look forward to seeing everyone there............................May the Force be with us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BUNKER HOBBIES & GAMES

4812 Paramount Blvd Lakewood, CA 90712

(562) 422-5626

Format: 200pt Constructed
SWMGPA Floor Rules (2015 Version)
Restricted Map lists (2015 Versions)

Start Time: 2:00pm (Registration starts at 1:00pm)
Entry Fee: $5
Prizes: booster draft...

ConnorKenobi
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 6:03:35 PM

Greetings everyone!
8 people turned out for regional. After swiss,
1. DarthMaim (SEPS - Durge Speeder, Cad Bane, Mira) 3-0 (7pts)
2. James (SEPS - Boba, Cad Bane, Mira, Jabba) 2-1 (6 pts)
3. Lord Razzia (VONG - Quorreal, Tsavong Lah, Domain Shai, Subaltern, Zenoc Quah) 2-1 (5 pts)
4. CrazyBird (FRINGE - Karrde, Mira, Tyber Zahn, Silri, Morrigan) 2-1 (4 pts)

SEMI FINAL STARTING NOW
FINAL TO FOLLOW
ConnorKenobi
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:15:49 PM

SEMI FINALS OVER

DarthMaim defeats CrazyBird
Lord Razzia defeats James

ON TO THE FINALS!!
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 8:38:25 PM

And who won the final? Two wins for the Seps today (sans Poggle!), or did the Vong take it?
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 1:47:07 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ( knocking his head against the brick wall for bonehead of the yr award for losing the match after the first initiative- Details to come later ) Lol.

Finals.........................................The Vong win in CA for the second yr in a row!!!!!!

Congrats to Lord Razzia, who constructed a vicious, wicked, creative Vong squad that kicked my ass :) I underestimated 2 of his 10 pt minis that charged in 16 and did 120 damage on Durge ( 60 a piece, with Speed 8, Charging, Twin, Cunning, Shaper-with +10 dmg from Shaper, +4 from Stealing Close Quarters, +4 from Quah, +4 from Cunning and +10 dmg on 10 pts pieces with Evade 7 and Crab Armor 7???? WTF??????? ) and it was all over from there! His guys were evading on 7's, and Crab armoring on 7's and 2's. More to come later with play reports!

This was my second place squad

--Guerrilla Warfare--
56 Durge on Speeder
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2
10 Mouse Droid x5

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 8 Muun Tactics Broker
(Lobot) 12 Mouse Droid x6

Preferred Reserves:
(San Hill) 18 BX Commando Droid Spotter

(200pts. 20 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/160558/guerrilla-warfare

It's 2:45am here now, so I'll try and give play report tomorrow.................................................................

DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:49:53 AM

Ok here we go.

Rd 1 vs ConnorKenobi's Rep Commandos. He won map roll so we played on his map Commanders Base. I chose inside. A couple strafe runs, and some bad luck shield saves for the Commandos, along with Mira's Force sense, won me the game. Close game though, as time ran out, Cad almost died, but was saved by some basing mouse droids that forced Sev to target them, after Boss's commander effect to make an attack, otherwise, he would have killed Cad, and won the game. 2 pt win for me. 1-0.

Rd 2 vs Crazybirdman's Talon, Mira, Morrigan, Silri, Lobot. I won map roll, so we used Rancor Pit. Strafe a few times, along with Furious Assault from Cad, just proved to be too much and devastating, especially with no where to hide in Jabba's creatures underground lair. 3 pt win. 2-0.

Rd 3 vs James' Boba, Mira, Cad Bane, Jabba Trap Door team. He won map roll so we played on Rhen Var. Jabba's CE worked well for Cad with Furious Assault for James. A strafe softened us his team quite nicely, however lost Durge in the trade off. However, this left his team vulnerable to Cad and Mira, who took out the rest of his squad, except for the giant slug. Got 200 HP Jabba down to almost ded, but time ran out. 2 pt win, 3-0.

Semi-Final : Rematch with Crazybirdman, had me winning map roll, so again we played on Rancor Pit. This time, he wisely spread his team, to minimize strafe. Mvp is this game was Cad, who did furious to pound several of his key pieces. Then with winning initiative, activated again did furious, and most of his squad went down, including Talon, and that was all she wrote. Rancor Pit map was the co-mvp, as the openness, allowed Cad to do his thing quite nicely. On to the finals.

Finals vs Lord Razzia's Charging, Evading, Crab armoring Vong. I won map roll again, so I thought, cool a victory for me is an hour or less away. I didn't listen to Han Solo's words of wisdom, let my guard down, and got too cocky. Here came my mistake #1. For reinforcements, instead of taking Muun Tactics Broker and mice, I chose 4 diplomats. Yommask stole close quarters fighting instead of San Hill's, which I found out in a few minutes why he did that. He took inside, so I set up on side to get to gambit easiest. Mistake #2 on my part, I moved Durge up to gambit with no support. My support was too slow of course because it was only the 1st round. He won initiative, and had me go first. Mistake #3, instead of getting Durge out of dodge, I moved 1 diplomat up to block the closest square between his team around the corner and mine. Then his turn, 2 warriors charged 16 ( he didn't steal San Hill at beg of game), to base Durge, twinning, cunning, at 30 a pop= DED Durge, and pretty much game over for me. Then came mistake #4; the 2 warriors in my area, I was terrified to base, because of their power, and if I lost intiative the next round, so Cad shot from a far, and they evaded all his shots on rolls of 7 and higher. Then, I grenaded them with Mira, 1 was next to low cover, so only 20 dmg on 1, the rest avoided with grenade save and crab armor saves of 7, uggggh! Diplomats were now glued to Cad and Mira for the rest of the game. I managed to kill the injured Lah Warrior. I made the slow descent to try and storm his bunker of commanders, but got distracted trying to kill Lah, who was in the way, but he evaded all blasted game long. By the time I got Cad and Mira inside to start killing his commanders, he moved them out the other door and tried to swarm me with his other Lah warriors. With the combination of him killing the rest of my team, with Lah and the Quednak, and Lah Warriors and gambit 10 pts per round, he got over 200 pts and won. Losing Durge was the game changer and would have been different if he would have lived. However in being too cocky and not studying his team, I didn't see the "defensive reflexes" that he brought in, which would have derailed Durge anyways.

Congrats again to Lord Razzia for the Championship win and to all that attended. May the Force be with us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Razzia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:47:45 AM

Here is my winning squad

Around The World ft. Tsavong Lah

30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite
28 Zenoc Quah
20 Yuuzhan Vong Hunter on Quednak
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
13 Yun-Ne'shel Priest
11 Advance Agent Officer
10 Domain Lah Warrior x2
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout

-199 Points, 11 Base Activations

Reinforcements:
(SOQ) 17 Praetorite Vong Priest
(SOQ) 3 Yuuzhan Vong Worker

You can view the squad here .

My choice of map was Dark Academy

The damage output on this squad comes from Tsavong Lah, the two Lah Warriors, and the Hunter on Quednak if you need it. Offensively they all get buffed from Zenoc Quah (shaper +10 damage & +4 attack), Advance Agent Officer (cunning attack), and Domain Shai Subaltern (Charging Fire to followers, and double attack for non-unique warriors). The Lah Warriors also get buffed by Synergy from Tsavong Lah if he is within 6 of them (+4 atk).
Defensively, Zenoq Quah provides Evade to followers, and Yun-Ne'Shel priest gives Avoid Defeat to a follower of my choice, and all allies get +4 to their save rolls if they have an ally within 6 squares of them. Evade on a 7 and Vondun Crab Armor makes it very difficult to shoot from a distance for most pieces.
So after all of the boosts that this squad gets, both offensively and defensively, the beauty of this squad is that you can round it out however you wish with the reinforcements, which did in fact play a significant role in my gameplay. The Vong has a huge reinforcement pool, and is made very flexible because of Loyal Followers not only making the pieces cost 1 point less, but giving those reinforcements (unless they are Non Sentient) Aggressive Negotiations.

Match 1:
I played against Aaron's New Republic Squad that had Mara Jade, Jedi, Han Solo Galactic Hero, Kyp Durron, Gantoris, Wedge, Dodonna, and a few droids. Because this squad was highly jedi based, I brought in a Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter. First round we both advance our pieces towards the center and I put a Lah Warrior into Gambit. On the next round, I charged Mara Jade with a Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter, and a Lah Warrior, with shaper, cunning, twin on both of them, and she died instantly. Thankfully Han Solo and Kyp Durron were separated from the rest of the team. Kyp becomes savage and bases my Lah Warrior. Gantoris and Kyp Durron eventually kill a Lah Warrior while Tsavong Lah charges at Han Solo with Yun-Yammka Devotion. Funny enough, Han Solo hits Tsavong Lah twice, and I missed both crab armor saves (I only needed a 2... I rolled two 1s in a row LOL) I won initiative and had Tsavong Lah kill Han Solo. The remaining Lah Warrior and Jedi Hunter killed Wedge and Gantoris and time runs out as all the doors were shut. 2 pt win for me 1-0.

Match 2:
The opposing squad was James's Separatist Bounty Hunter Squad with Jabba the Hutt Galactic Crime Boss, Boba Fett Assassin for Hire, Mira of Nar Shaddaa, Cad Bane Bounty Hunter, Todo, R7, and a Rodian Brute. I made a fatal error in the beginning with my placement of the Yammosk War Coordinator. Boba Fett and Cad Bane were able to shoot it, and I stole a useless commander effect so I couldn't even use evade. LESSON LEARNED THERE!!! So I had to move everything in together, but because Boba Fett and Cad Bane just flew in from the side over a ledge and pop shotted everything while I got locked in by doors. Lost that one as time ran out. 0 point loss. 1-1

Match 3:
Sith Squad full of Force Users. Exar Kun, Juggernaut, Darth Wyyrlok III, Darth Sidious Hologram, Lord Kaan. I had a choice of giving all my vong Force Renewal, or Backlash. I took backlash because tsavong lah could move 6 and hit twice, and the lah warriors could move 8 and hit 4 times (domain shai subaltern gives the warriors double on top of their own twin). I kept track of when it would have been better to take one or the other. Force power would have been more beneficial, but I did get to use backlash twice, which was nice. Obv bring Jedi Hunter through reinforcements here. I rushed gambit with my quednak on round 1. I firejelly a door and charge at the closest sith (juggernaut). I had the quednak go for wyyrlok and the hologram and i moved up my domain shai subaltern into gambit. I wanted to hit Kaan and make him blow up on his own squad, but he was able to transfer essence exar out, and I had killed the juggernaut by then. Juggernaut lowered Tsavong Lah's defense with Crushing Blow, so I did have to keep him back and give up the synergy with the Lah Warriors. Exar Kun easily took out the quednak but my jedi hunter and Lah Warrior charged at Exar. 3pt. Win 2-1

Match 4 Semi Final:
Rematch of match 2 but in the semi finals. Thankfully it was on my map this time. Reinforcement option was one Praetorite Vong Priest, and a Yuuzhan Vong Worker, because I knew from the other match that a lot of my characters would get damaged, but have a good chance at getting more attacks off (scarification bonus). I also opted out of stealing a commander effect this time. Jabba the Hutt couldn't be placed in gambit (safely) so he opted to place it in a room inside of some doors. His reinforcement option was a bunch of rodian brutes this time around. I did the same thing as in match 3, moved up my guys, and put the quednak into gambit. I was very afraid of him using the combination of flight and furious assault on all of my pieces, so I had to be extremely aggressive even though I already had control of gambit. Turn 2 I notice Todo isn't quite next to Boba Fett Assassin for Hire (he was next to cad bane) so I decided to immediately charge my two lah warriors into Boba Fett. I had totally forgot about his Bait and Switch Ability. Thankfully he missed the first save for it, so Boba took 60 damage, but he got the 2nd one and switched in a rodian brute. Cad Bane uses Furrious Assault on my Lah Warriors, bringing them both down to 10 HP. At this point, James made a brilliant move and locked my lah warriors in, stopping a lot of my ranged abilities from reaching them. I then had my Quednak move in to kill his activation fodder, as I was willing to sacrifice 20 points to keep my lah warriors alive so I could keep Boba Fett and Mira from killing my Lah Warriors. The Quednak killed 5 Rodian Brutes, one of which was worth points. Boba and Mira killed the quednak. Lah Warriors live for an extra turn. Even though they were cut off, they were still getting a lot of global buffs including Evade, and Yun-Neshel Devotion (which works the same way synergy does). The only thing he could do at this point (if he wanted them both dead without getting more attacks) was to use Jabba's Trap Door ability. I missed a save for one of them, but made the crab armor save for it, so one of my Lah Warriors was returned to the start, and the other one was stuck there. James wins initiative and kills the Lah warrior with Mira. I have Tsavong Lah and Domain Shai Subaltern sitting in gambit. James decides to use Furious assault on those two, and also found my Zonoma Sekot Scout. Tsavong Lah and Domain Shai Subaltern end up taking care of Cad Bane (embrace of pain came in handy for Domain Shai Subaltern). Time ends and I have more points.

Match Final:
DarthMaim's Separatist Bounty Hunter Squad. He brought on Durge on Speeder, Mira of Nar Shaddaa, Cad Bane, Lobot, San Hill, Gha Nachkt, and mouse droids. We revealed Reinforcements at the same time. I revealed Tso'Asu, Domain Lah Warrior, and Domain Carr Scout, and he revealed 4 Camasi Nobles. I brought Tso'Asu to check Durge on Speeder, Domain Carr Scout for a possible Thud Bug on one of his 3 big activations, and the Lah Warrior was just for more power (these things are ridiculously good on this squad). I almost didn't take any commander effects, but then I reread Durge's commander effect, which I read as "non unique Yuuzhan Vong Allies gain Close Quarters Combat" which actually did come into play once or twice (all of my other hits would have hit regardless, but it is a very nice buffer). I also didn't want San Hill's CE because I didnt want to be locked into 1 activation the whole game when my lah warriors can potentially outright kill strong units before they can react. First round Durge and Quednak move into Gambit. 2nd round, he wins initiative and moves a diplomat next to durge to try and block my chargers, however he didn't realize my lah warriors had speed 8. I sent 2 lah warriors straight for Durge, as 4 attacks with cunning and shaper would be enough to kill him, and hitting was almost guaranteed. Durge goes down, and the two lah warriors get shot at by cad bane, and grenaded by Mira. The free one was next to a low object, so he could only rely on crab armor saves (thankfully he was free). On the next initiative, the lah warrior worth points kills a mouse droid and escapes from being blocked in by a wall of diplomats and mouse droids. The lah warrior through reinforcements goes down, but I got gambit that round and he didnt. At this point I couldn't charge at cad bane or Mira because of the wall, and my quednak couldn't reach very far either (pathfinder would have been very useful this match). So I couldn't make anymore offensive plays without giving up free points, so I kept tsavong Lah on gambit. The only problem I realized is that at this point I couldn't touch his two damage dealers, but they could take pop shots at mine. I got greedy and put up my domain carr scout (diplomat) and Zomona Sekot Scout to activate one piece at a time like him, and i gave him two activations and 5 points. As rounds pass, he kept trying to shoot tsavong Lah, but Yun-Neshel Devotion with Evade, and crab armor 6 proved to be a lot to try to bypass (i purposely kept Tsavong Lah away from a low object in gambit. 4 rounds go by and I'm getting closer to 200 points through gambit. DarthMaim realizes he needs to do something aggressive or he'd lose through gambit, so he starts moving his wall of diplomats up, while taking shots at Tsavong Lah. He eventually starts shooting my yammosk, with most of his pieces by my commanders, so I move tsavong lah and the quednak out to hunt gha nachkt, San Hill, and Lobot. I was literally one point off of victory if I had the quednak kill gha Nachkt and San Hill, so I had to send domain Shai Subaltern, or a Lah Warrior to kill a Mouse Droid. I did that and the Quednak killed the other two before he could pull the trigger on my Yammosk. I reached 200 points before him and won the final. :)
crazybirdman
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 10:37:18 AM

that was a crazy amount of buffs, versus a crazy amount of activations. i was crazy for even trying.
here's the prizes:

20150627_202350

20150627_202354
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:04:05 AM

Lord Razzia wrote:
I had totally forgot about his Bait and Switch Ability. Thankfully he missed the first save for it, so Boba took 60 damage, but he got the 2nd one and switched in a rodian brute.
Bait and switch only works against non-adjacents I do believe... Were you attacking with blast bucks or something of the sort?
Lord Razzia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:24:48 AM

atmsalad wrote:
Lord Razzia wrote:
I had totally forgot about his Bait and Switch Ability. Thankfully he missed the first save for it, so Boba took 60 damage, but he got the 2nd one and switched in a rodian brute.
Bait and switch only works against non-adjacents I do believe... Were you attacking with blast bucks or something of the sort?

Nope. It was a melee attack. Well that's my own fault. It made a difference in the sense that Boba Fett would have died then and there, but I still won. Thank you for the clarification though.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:37:48 AM

Lord Razzia wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
Lord Razzia wrote:

Nope. It was a melee attack. Well that's my own fault. It made a difference in the sense that Boba Fett would have died then and there, but I still won. Thank you for the clarification though.

That happens, when I was playing Lou in the semi-final in Michigan we had the same thing almost happen. Boba AFH is a stacked card and it is easy to lose track of his stat verbatim. Congratulation on the regional win!!!
Lord Razzia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:48:31 AM

atmsalad wrote:

That happens, when I was playing Lou in the semi-final in Michigan we had the same thing almost happen. Boba AFH is a stacked card and it is easy to lose track of his stat verbatim. Congratulation on the regional win!!!

Thank you! Cool