RegisterDonateLogin

Re-released with special features.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Forsaken Lands 3 and 4 Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:55:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Opinions on the 4 new maps from Christopher West?

They look amazing, as always. I love that almost all of the Forsaken Lands maps can be linked together for a really long adventure if you wanted.

As far as playability for tournaments...

Glacial Rift - with no doors at all, it's not going to be a Restricted candidate. It's pretty shooty, but there are enough obstacles I think to make Standard. Could wind up in Open, though. Could go either way.

Forest Glade - Open. There's some terrain here but not enough to make the Standard list. Not a close call.

Sunken Ruins - Thematically, I love that there's an underwater map. Mon Cals and Nautolans and Quarren could be given some awesome boosts for scenarios here. For tournaments, not a candidate for Restricted at all. It could maybe be Standard, but probably Open.

Mountain Tombs - I think this one could make the Restricted list. I played on it last night and it was fun. I didn't notice any issues that would disqualify it. It's not a shoo-in at all. Huges can't really get into gambit, but they can stand outside it and either shoot or use Melee Reach get attack into it. Lots of 1-width doors around gambit could make blocking strategies too strong (and those strategies are generally reviled, too). Left side looks like a much stronger starting side, so if you bring the map plan to be on the right. No doors to protect commanders on the right, so the only squads that would want the map anyway are tank-type squads. But all of those are pretty minor issues (and are present in other Restricted maps to varying degrees).

Overall, I think it could be Restricted but I think there are lots of other maps that could also be Restricted, so this might not be able to bump anything else off the list to make room.

Has anyone else played on them yet? Thoughts?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 11:01:41 AM

Or even if you haven't played on them, any thoughts?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:11:50 PM

Or maybe if you have just looked at the images?
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:14:55 PM
Groups: Member

I think you hit it pretty well on the head with your description but I only have the small images of the screen to go on because of not getting the maps yet but I really want to try mountain tombs! Is there lots of cover on the ocean/forest maps to block LOS?
jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:04:54 AM

I won those maps @ GC, and think there really cool.
never looked at them in terms of SWM's, just as a RPG map
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:10:52 AM

jak wrote:

Mountain Tombs looks like the only one of the four that could be very good for SWMs. However, I just taught a new player this past weekend and I used Glacial Rift for our first game. It has no doors, so that's one less complication for his first game.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:50:01 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
jak wrote:

Mountain Tombs looks like the only one of the four that could be very good for SWMs. However, I just taught a new player this past weekend and I used Glacial Rift for our first game. It has no doors, so that's one less complication for his first game.

Good point and that could be good for larger huge games too especially the open ones