RegisterDonateLogin

For those days when your overconfidence is your weakness.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Talking Tactics: Dooku Options
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:30:40 AM
Groups: Member

Today I'd like to highlight a piece that I think is nifty, and that is the 100pt. Dooku. With 140HP, 22def, 15atk, and 20 dmg, along with Double/Twin, Duelist, Renewal 2, and Motf2, you're definitly getting a book of abilities for the 100pt pricetag.

In my opinion, his biggest drawback comes in his unimpressive array of ranged defense. While he has Deflect and motf2, the player really relies on his ability to make a save to keep him alive. Overwhelming Force and suppressive fire, like any other piece, is a nail in the coffin for Dooku.

In melee, Dooku is a beast. With Makashi and Riposte 2, along with twin, putting 60 damage on a would-be attack is a solid deterrent. Dooku also sports Chain Lightning 4, which, while useful, is definitely situational.

To complement this 100pt Dooku, I think the smartest thing to do is bring in another melee piece to utilize Dooku's Lightsaber trainer. The problem is that a lot of other Sep pieces w/ a lightsaber come with a hefty pricetag too. In the past, I've tried out Asajj Ventress, Nightsister, and granted her Makashi as well for some melee defense. That was useful, but the usefulness of Lightsaber Trainer really lies on who you choose to grant it to, so it wasn't perfect with her.

Next, I plan on granting Makashi to the 57pt. Darth Maul. This obviously won't be competitive, but being cloaked w/ Makashi should allow Maul a little more opportunity to survive with his double/twin for 40dmg. Dooku's CE makes him useful with living targets as well, and stacked with Maul, could provide two swings for 50 damage. (Just... try not to roll a one.)

I've found that, when playing Seps, I prefer the 31pt. combo of a BX Commando Sniper/Spotter for ranged support. Seps have an arsenal of support, so that's really up to the player.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. How do you use Dooku? Have you been successful? How do you think he stacks up against the other 100pt pieces (Yoda, Old Ben Kenobi, Vader, etc.)?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:34:05 PM

I thought that he lost a lot of his zing with Poggle being banned - he works really well with Drones, as they help him get up to a decent number of activations, and his CE can set them off. I came 5th in a tournament last year (which doesn't sound that good, but it was a very solid 5th where I only lost to the two finalists and beat another top 4 player) with this:

--Netdecking Jason--
100 Dooku
27 Lobot
16 BX Commando Droid Spotter
15 BX Commando Droid Sniper
10 San Hill
9 Poggle the Lesser
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
20 Geonosian Drone x10
(200pts. 17 activations)

I think Lightsaber Trainer is hard to use at 200 points, but Assaj Nightsister is probably the best recipient out there.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:18:18 PM

I love using this Dooku and found him to work best with either Vos, Maul, Ventress or my personal favourite Grievous HoH. There is nothing like bringing HoH and either giving him soresu+energy shield for some double evasive meat screen for Dooku or even better against melee using Makashi+parry to make him hard to hit. I used to love using those two with Poggle and Drones together and hope that with the new 3 point minimum ruling that they can come back as his CE works great for them. My traditional squad was Dooku, Grievous, spotter, Poggle and drones to fill and until we being my friend Poggle back my favourite Dooku team is:

--Heroes of the Confederacy--
100 Dooku
42 General Grievous, Hero of Hypori
27 Lobot

(200pts. 5 activations)

He's also quite good in the Republic with

--Dooku's Redemption--
100 Dooku
48 Sifo-Dyas
22 Jedi Instructor
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

(199pts. 9 activations)

In the above squad he now has the best the republic has to offer with mobile and R2 towing. All in Dooku rocks. Please keep making BHC pieces they are favourites and tide us over until the encryption epic set.
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:45:30 PM

He also pairs well with the BX spotter,sniper combo as staying adjacent to the spotter he gets the benefits of the shield and can smack anything that tries to get adjacent to negate the shield.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:24:06 PM

gholli69 wrote:
He also pairs well with the BX spotter,sniper combo as staying adjacent to the spotter he gets the benefits of the shield and can smack anything that tries to get adjacent to negate the shield.
ever try putting him with both the spotter and a Baran do sage? Double fun
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:13:36 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
gholli69 wrote:
ever try putting him with both the spotter and a Baran do sage? Double fun

LOL so it's Missiles or nothing then...
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:57:10 PM

some neat discussions here.
I've tinkered with a Sid + "Dooku" + fill squad, and a
Dooku + Bulq + Aurra squad in the 200 or 250 ranges,
it is a lot of fun.

Pincer move and using multi-prong attacks are important -
so, map choice is a huge factor - keeping behind walls and trying to clump as many as possible seemed to help.
(Bespin, Coruscant Freight, Polis Massa, Rhen Var)
counter-intuitively, the low acts seemed to be mitigated by increased HP,
and the losses were very close games.

On maps like Korriban, CS starter map, or Rots Starter Map,
you're going to have a hard time from all the lines of sight BigGrin

I do wonder how a Dooku, Dyas, Paratus squad could nucleate -
as a Paratus Mirror Squad + Dooku would be something horrifying.
(potential nasty droidekas in 250-300pts game)

I basically use this Dooku as I would Yoda + The Apprentice Unleashed
BigGrin

Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 8:00:09 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for the great discussion so far!
I was able to try the 100pt Dooku out again last night.

--Swords of the Confederacy--
100 Dooku
57 Darth Maul, Sith Infiltrator
12 Battle Droid x3

(200pts. 7 activations)

Fortunately for me, I was up against an almost purely-melee team, with the exception of Dark Plageius, who threw appr. 80 damage on Maul and Dooku. The 57pt. Maul with Makashi and Teri-Kasi really worked well together. The droids in the squad made for great support, and at one point I brought up the shieldbearer to deflect some shots for Dooku.

While the squad is not high-activation, and as a result, uncompetitve, it was a lot of fun to play. The game devolved into a slugfest between a bleeding Darth Maul and Dooku vs. Obikin. Obviously Dooku made short work of him.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 8:39:35 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Needs door control, but that could be competitive. You have major (major!) melee hate. Maul can cloak. Plus a spotter = shooter hate. Kill big beats with Maul's big 160dmg. And Dooku's Lightning for swarms. Biggest weakness is uber-speedy, uber-techy squads that were popular in the recent meta. But that's the only major weakness I see. Drop the Battle droids for door control. 4 Ugs or Ug/R7 or (probably best) a Squib.

Not that it's going to be the favorite at a tournament, but you could take it and do okay. Cloaked and Shieldbearer do a lot to make up for lack of mobility.
Mando
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 9:52:35 AM

Here is a squad that I made for Dooku a while back

--Bulqed Up--
100 Dooku
33 Sora Bulq
20 General Whorm Loathsom
10 Squib Trader
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 8 activations)

Sora gets double twin and can get Makashi to add onto his other styles list that include Soresu, Vaapad and Djem So. He turns into a pretty tanky anti-melee pieces when he uses Sith Rage on Djem So for a possible 60 dmg total attack for every melee hit he takes. I think it could do quite well, cause it is anti shooter, anti melee and has crowd control and strafe hate.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 10:10:54 AM

That's fair. I need to give Sora Bulq another shot. I remember back in V-Set 1 he was quite refreshing, but I think lately he's been outclassed -- now, that's just my conjecture, and I think with the proper commanders, he can hold his own (see above.)

@FlyingArrow, great suggestions. I only threw the Battle Droids in there for thematic reasons, but they were great for combining fire. I could drop them for 4 uggies though.